Motoring Discussion > Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo plant may close
Thread Author: Victorbox Replies: 23

Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo plant may close - Victorbox
Who would have thought this could happen? tinyurl.com/8de3a4y
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo plant may close - Alanovich
Ford needs to do a Toyota/Nissan and come up with a premium branded version of its products. I expect it does so in the USA, but it could really do with one in Europe. Something like, oooh, I don't know, Volvo..........

;-)
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo plant may close - Zero
I am not in the least bit surprised. Many people wondered why Ford built the last new Mondeo i the face of failing sales for that sector.
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo plant may close - rtj70
If this car really is a proper world car, and is already built in the USA then I won't be surprised if the European variant isn't built over there. Volumes will be quite low. Sad for the workers in Europe but that's business.
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo plant may close - Londoner
>> I am not in the least bit surprised. Many people wondered why Ford built the
>> last new Mondeo i the face of failing sales for that sector.
>>
Agreed. Sales are falling since there are so many niches being filled by other types o car which customers find more attractive for their needs (or self image) - MPVs, crossovers, SUVs.

It's a shame, because this "saloon with a hatch" is exactly the kind of car that I want. All other types of car might just as well be mere "white goods"!

So many of this type of car have disappeared in the last 10 years or so:
Citroen Xantia/C5
Fiat Croma
Honda Accord
Mazda 6
Mitsubish Carisma
Nissan Primera
Toyota Avensis
Renault Laguna (not to be sold in the UK?)
Rover 400 (?)
Toyota Avensis

Leaving just................
Ford Mondeo
Vauxhall Insignia
Skoda Octavia
Audi A5

Dwindling choice for me, I'm afraid. :-(
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo plant may close - Auristocrat
Sorry - the Honda Accord, Toyota Avensis and Mazda 6 haven't disappeared at all.
All three are on sale within the UK (with the Avensis being built at Derby), and Mazda have just announced a new Mazda 6.
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo plant may close - Alanovich
Auristocrat - I believe the point he's trying to make is that none of those models are available as a hatchback any more, only saloons.
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo plant may close - Londoner
Thanks for clarifying the point, Alanović! :-)

I didn't make it clear that I was talking specifically about hatchbacks. My fault - apologies.
Last edited by: Londoner on Tue 23 Oct 12 at 16:05
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo plant may close - Falkirk Bairn
Rumour was that Mondeo would be a US Import from next year - Ford announcement tomorrow, 24 Oct, on Belgian plant closure (rumour?)>> Thanks for clarifying the point, Alanović! :-)
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo plant may close - WillDeBeest
Londers didn't mention the Saab 9-3. There's one that really has disappeared altogether.

Is BMW really planning a GT hatch version of the new 3?
>> Is BMW really planning a GT hatch version of the new 3?

I thought they were. Could change. But fill every niche you can if the plants are efficient and flexible.

The moving of Mondeo production to a US factory already building it.... not a surprise.
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo plant may close - VxFan
They're closing their southampton Ford Transit factory as well.

news.sky.com/story/1002072/sky-sources-ford-to-close-southampton-plant
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo plant may close - henry k
Ford confirms plans to close Belgium factory

US car giant Ford says it has started consultations on closing its factory at Genk in Belgium with the loss of 4,300 jobs to cut costs.
The company is looking to close the factory - which makes the Mondeo and S-MAX minivan - in 2014.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20054924
I'm surprised they are moving the Mondeo, S-MAX and Galaxy production to Spain. Surely the cost effective option is the existing factory in the States?
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo plant may close - Meldrew
I think in Spain the labour rates may be lower and while they may sell Galaxies in USA I wouldn't think they sell many Mondeos or S Maxes so there would be transport costs to factor in
>> I wouldn't think they sell many Mondeos or S Maxes so there would be transport costs to factor in

They already sell the next Mondeo in the States. It's just not called a Mondeo... it's Fusion over there:

www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/mondeo/20085/new-ford-mondeo-revealed
Thanks for that. I still don't quite follow the logic of closing a factory in Belgium that has always produced all Mondeos (SFAIK) and most of them are sold in the EU, to move production to another facility, new or old, in USA and ship a lot of the production back to the EU. Tax breaks or incentives to move to USA perhaps?
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo plant may close - R.P.
BMW would have to be seriously commercial naive not to put a 3GT on the market to capitalise on this segment. Love them or loathe them and that is one thing they are certainly not.
BBC reports union honcho at Genk saying that Mondeo and S Max production will be transferred to Ford's facility at Valencia
This was said above - and I commented I am surprised they didn't just built them in the States on the existing production line. And you questioned them selling over there at all....
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo plant may close - Dave_
Announcement to be made tomorrow on the future of Ford's Southampton Transit plant:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-20071785
Closing Southampton plant, date not mentioned, and production going to Turkey it is reported by BBC.
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo plant may close - Auristocrat
I think that part of Ford's problem in Europe is offering too many versions of their cars, and this must be a production nightmare.
For example, the Ford UK price lists contain approx 53 versions of the Fiesta, 73 of the Focus (hatch and estate), 70 of the Mondeo (hatch and estate). Whereas the Ka numbers 7, the B-Max 9, C Max 15 and Grand C Max 16.
By comparison VW offers something like 36 versions of the Polo on the UK market. I think they also need to rationalise their ranges, drop slow selling versions, etc.
Not unlike what Renault had to do in the UK back in February.
There are 3 variants of the Mondeo and Focus. The estate, saloon and hatch. Yes there are various specs for wheels, engines, trim etc. but building these on a modern production line is not an issue. If people are happy to wait for a factory build then I don't see this as a problem.

Renault actually got rid of models in the UK, e.g. the Laguna.
Latest Forum Posts