Computer Related > Win 10 IP4 Address Autoconfiguration Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 48

Win 10 IP4 Address Autoconfiguration - Bromptonaut
We have what I think is a fairly standard domestic network.

ADSL 2 connection, Netgear D6200 dual band modem/router (2.4 and 5ghz). WPS2 security. DHCP enabled.

Connected to it are a variety of Android devices and four Win 10 laptops. Until Friday all the laptops were functioning fine. Since then Mrs B's 'desktop' laptop, a Toshiba Satellite L50 has refused to connect to either 2.4 or 5ghz WiFi.

Probing around I've ascertained that going to the wireless adapter details (Intel Dual Band Wireless AC3160) IPv4 address shows as Autoconfigure 169.254.252.41. Other machines do not mention autoconfigure and show (correctly) the 192.168.1.xx series number allocated by the Router's DHCP.

Going to Network Connection Status>Properties>Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP v4)>Properties and resetting the DHCP advanced settings to use the Router's IP address as primary DHCP I can get it to connect.

However, as soon as the laptop is shut down/restarted, the problem re-occurs.

I've googled the issue and it's clearly 'known' but am struggling to find solutions that make any sense.

Any suggestions?
 Win 10 IP4 Address Autoconfiguration - rtj70
You've probably ascertained by now that a Windows machine will auto assign it's own IP address on the 169.254.x.x address range if it cannot get an address from a DHCP server or has not been assigned a static IP address and gateway (and hopefully a DNS server too).

Presumably the machine shows it's connected to the access point and just not getting an IP address from the router.

I assume you've restarted the router - maybe it's not assigning IP addresses for some reason.

If you open a command prompt and run:

ifconfig /renew

Does it pick up an IP address?

I don't understand what you're actually setting by saying you've set the router's IP as primary DHCP. DHCP is a protocol that relies on a broadcast to initiate getting an IP address from a DHCP on the same subnet. You could try assigning a static IP address (one not used by another device), put the router's IP address as the gateway IP address and then set DNS to whatever other devices are using (or use Google's DNS) - could be the router address or they might be told to use the ISP's DNS servers.

>> I don't understand what you're actually setting by saying you've set the router's IP as
>> primary DHCP.

Got lost in acronym soup and mixed up DHCP with DNS. It will be reselecting obtain IP address automatically that's overriding the auto-configuration setting.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 11 Dec 16 at 15:00
 Win 10 IP4 Address Autoconfiguration - Pat
The same thing happened with Ian's tablet on Thursday so is it an update problem, I wonder.

I googled it and found it to be a 'known' problem and no solution so ordered him a new laptop!

He's delighted with a sensible sized keyboard at last:)

Anyone want a duff Asus Transformer?:)

Pat
So Bromptonaut, is this simply failing to get an IP address (and default gateway and DNS servers) or getting an IP address but DNS not working?

If it's a DNS problem (i.e. if you were to open a command prompt and run: ipconfig /all you see IP address etc.) then you need to look at fixing DNS.
No nothing to do with DNS, my mistake. DHCP/IP address issue affecting just one of four W10 laptops.

It's automatically configuring IP address as 169.254.252.41 rather than obtaining one from the router's DHCP which would be in 192.168.1.xx range.
What happens if you plug it in using the Ethernet port?

If it's the DHCP client it won't work for the wired connection either.

Occasionally my work laptop fails to get an IP address. Usually when I've gone into the office. A reboot fixes mine though.

>> If it's the DHCP client it won't work for the wired connection either.

Wired connection is FUBAR too. Auto configured to 169.254.44.141.
 Win 10 IP4 Address Autoconfiguration - smokie
That sounds like DHCP server isn't giving out addresses. Did you reboot the router, and have you checked DHCP is turned on in the router?

Existing devices may not have a problem as once a device has an addresses that address is reserved for that device for a configurable time even when the device is not active - that's why each device will usually (but not always) end up with the same address.

There's probably stuff you can do in the router config to "manage" (i.e. delete) the DHCP reservation table, then you can test to see if other devices are affected, but you don't really want to risk spoling all the others just yet.
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 13 Dec 16 at 10:37
>> That sounds like DHCP server isn't giving out addresses.

But his other computers on the network are getting IP addresses. And there's reports of a DHCP client issue on Windows 10 since last week.

I'd try some of the suggestions online to reset the Winsock stack. And maybe try removing the last Windows updates.
The Toshiba has been stable on home wifi for 24 hours now. Not been restarted though. Ethernet still Fubar.

Posting this from my 'desktop' laptop, an ageing Packard Bell device originally W7 now W10. It is fine on either wi-fi or ethernet. Both our Lenovo idea pad W10 netbooks are working ok on wireless (no ethernet option).

No obvious issues with Android phones or tablets.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 13 Dec 16 at 10:55
I think there's a Winsock stack per adapter isn't there (well per protocol per adapter, as if you had for instance IPv4 and IPv6 on the same adapter they would have different addresses...).

I thought other devices may be simply re-using their reserved address rather than asking for a new one. Would be interesting to try to connect a device which hasn't previously connected to his network and see what happens. The devices hold their allocated addresses across sessions and will re-use them so long as the lease hasn't expired. (I think they will do it even if there is now another device with that address, ending up with a conflict)
He could be brave and do an:

ipconfig /release

on one of the working machines. Then try to get a new IP address:

ipconfig /renew

It might well be that a machine with an IP address is simply asking for a new lease and that works on these Windows 10 machines. Or it could be a chipset/driver problem and resetting Winsock for example fixes it.
There's actually nothing wrong with simply giving the offending machine a static IP address so long as you take it out of the DHCP pool so it doesn't get given to something else. My pool is only 100 devices and I use statics for things like my printer/scanner and NAS.

My money is on a problem at the DHCP server...
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 13 Dec 16 at 13:16
No there's a problem with many machines since last week whereby there is a problem with the DHCP client. Well there's seems to be an awful lot of people affected and it's not tied down to one make/model of router.

That however is one reason why I suggested trying to connect to a different WiFi network, e.g. setup an access point on a smartphone.

If this was a machine that always stayed in the home network then I don't see the issue with a static address. And you can actually setup windows to fall back to using a static address if it doesn't get a connection via DHCP. Never tried it myself. I do have some machines with static routes at home - I want to know their IP address.
Now it's even mentioned on the BBC new website:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38301548
 Win 10 IP4 Address Autoconfiguration - spamcan61
>> Now it's even mentioned on the BBC new website:
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38301548
>>

"In the meantime, we have published advice for our customers online"

Where the affected users won't be able to read it...unless they have an unaffected device to hand (OK quite likely these days).

I see Virgin are brave enough to be suggesting users start using the command line...

I think you can only do that if you have local admin. rights.
>> I think you can only do that if you have local admin. rights.

If it's your home PC (and part of a workgroup) then you will have the necessary rights. You will probably need to run the Command Prompt with elevated administrator privileges.
... on the right click on the Windows start button in case anyone needs it (called Command Prompt (Admin) )
>> The same thing happened with Ian's tablet on Thursday so is it an update problem,
>> I wonder.
>>
Yes, as if there weren't enough reasons to avoid Win10 Microsoft have managed to break DHCP with a recent W8/10 update. How the heck any technophobe with this problem is supposed to resolve this (given the resulting lack of internet connection) lord only knows.

www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/09/mysterious_windows_10_networking_bug/

It doesn't only affect Plusnet users.
Mine played up last week but I think that was a dodgy site I inadvertently hit. All of my outbound comms were blocked.

That's a good suggestion to connect via cable to check DHCP isn't bust, and to reboot the DHCP server.

Sometimes the whole TCP protocol config can get screwed up. I';m sure there used to be a way to delete either the protocol or the adapter and let it re-create (and rebuild) itself but I can't immediately see how under Win 10. I think if you use the Diagnose button in the device in Control Panel it sometimes forces a rebuild (might point to what the problem is too...)

EDITED to remove spurious info which I put in, not having read the OP properly first!! :-)
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 11 Dec 16 at 17:36
There are ways of resetting the TCP/IP connection if needs be using the netsh command.
Another thought on this - if it's a DHCP problem with particular routers then have you tried creating a wifi access point on a mobile and try connecting to that.

It does sound like Microsoft has 'fixed' something in DHCP which then does not work with some DHCP servers. Which would be slightly baffling because of how the DHCP process works...

... if the laptop in question is connecting to the access point and going through the DHCP discover/DHCP Offer/DHCP Request/DHCP Ack process... I wonder what a network sniffer would actually see? Maybe it's not even doing the DHCP discover properly.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 11 Dec 16 at 19:12
Just found this:

www.ghacks.net/2016/12/10/windows-10-update-kb3201845/

So we might know the patch to uninstall. And a restart (not shutdown) might be all that's needed. Although I'm sure Bromptonaut has tried that quite a few times!
 Win 10 IP4 Address Autoconfiguration - Stuartli
I had the same problem and, after trying every known fix to cure it, gave up in the end and did a Windows Reset.

It had the added bonus of not only keeping all personal files but, because of the comparatively few applications etc I had to reinstall, they were all still listed in the Library Downloads file plus a convenient Windows 10 list of what would be needed to be updated...:-)

Since then I've also come across NetAdapter Repair:

www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/netadapter-repair-all-in-one/

and another similar one, but they just seem to do all the methods I used manually.

A further bonus was that Windows 10 is much quicker now and boots up in about 35 to 40 seconds rather than around twice that time (but that was to be expected); the time involved too with the Reset was not something to want to repeat for some time, especially after also acquiring and setting up a new laptop....

Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 11 Dec 16 at 19:34
Thanks spamcan, at least we know now it isn't the tablet at fault.

The new laptop is updating for the first time now he has gone off to work so I do hope it doesn't happen to that too!

Pat
 Win 10 IP4 Address Autoconfiguration - BrianByPass
>> Thanks spamcan, at least we know now it isn't the tablet at fault.
>>

From link posted by spamcan

"Chambers noted the following commands, run one after the other, seemed to resolve the problem:

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

These will repair and reset gummed-up parts of the Windows networking stack. ®"

link
www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/09/mysterious_windows_10_networking_bug/

Had hibernated and lost wireless connectivity again by this afternoon.

Did the ipconfig release/renew steps suggested above from command prompt following which it reconnected. Upon restart it ran a number of updates under KB3201845 dated 13-12-16.

Suspect these have fixed bug as normal service appears resumed on both wifi and ethernet.

Thanks to all.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 13 Dec 16 at 17:26
Maybe they've patched the patch if it's dated 13/12/16 because that's the KB that people were blaming from last week's updates.

I hope it remains stable.
I just got an update but it was KB3206632 dated 13 Dec. KB3201845 is dated 9 Dec

Whatever :-)
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 14 Dec 16 at 19:21
KB32o6632 is the latest update - it failed to install yesterday so had to be downloaded again...

arstechnica.co.uk/business/2016/12/microsoft-windows-10-dhcp-broken-update/

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4004227

But my Internet connection problems started well before December 9, so might have been a little earlier Windows Update that caused it.....
Last edited by: Stuartli on Wed 14 Dec 16 at 20:01
>>
>> But my Internet connection problems started well before December 9, so might have been a
>> little earlier Windows Update that caused it.....
>>
That's my my suspicion too; my one and only W10 machine suddenly started having DHCP related network connectivity problems a few weeks back, after update to W10 build 1607 IIRC. Win7/iOS/Android machines had no problem connecting to the same router.
>> Win7/iOS/Android machines had no problem connecting to the same router.>>

Yes, very similar pattern to that I experienced during November on the Dell Inspiron 570 desktop - a Google Nexus 10, Lenovo laptop and HTC 10 phone all continued to work from the router.

The Dell has a Broadcom NIC - I wonder whether it was just this brand that was affected or perhaps more general?

I've been reading this thread with interest and have decided to have a go at Ian's tablet and see if I can get it to connect again.

Sometimes you are all just too technical for me though and after a restless night pondering this I'm confused.....nothing new there then!

If I've read this correctly Windows has now issued a patch to repair the old update which was the cause of the problem?

If that's the case, then how do I get the tablet to connect to the internet to download the new patch?

Pat
>>
>> If that's the case, then how do I get the tablet to connect to the
>> internet to download the new patch?
>>
>> Pat
>
That's hitting the nail on the head Pat.....if you've already power cycled the router then it's worth having a go at the manual connection reset described upthread and in this Microsft support page:-

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues

I'd cut to the chase and do the stuff under the heading "To run these networking commands in a command prompt window"
 Win 10 IP4 Address Autoconfiguration - tyrednemotional
Pat,

...assuming the underlying issue is the one under discussion, the way to do it is to give the device a static IP address before attempting to connect.

This requires (temporary) editing of the networking properties, and an understanding, and possible editing, of your router set-up to determine the appropriate address to use.

Though I'm not familiar with Windows tablets, I suspect either I or others on here could eventually post enough to get you through it.

However, assuming your device is running standard Win10 (which I suspect it is - but older tablet devices could be running the RT version), there is a potentially easier solution. It depends on being able to physically transfer (via USB or SD card or whatever, however, and the viability will depend on your devices).

I think you have at least one other device that can connect to the internet and download. If you have the ability to download elsewhere AND then copy to the tablet (USB stick/SD card or some such), then the "fix" (as are all items normally updated via Windows Update) is available for manual downloading, and this one is here:

www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3206632

You will need one of the top two of the three downloads on the page. If you go into Windows Update on your tablet (through "settings"), you will see an "update history" link, following this you will be able to see what patches have already been installed. If there are entries noted "for x64 systems", you need the second download from the page, otherwise the first.

Simply download (or download and copy)to a USB stick/Card, transfer to the tablet and double-click the file. All the appropriate files will be extracted and copied into the Windows Update repository, and the update will take place.

It may take quite some time (this one seems to), so patience is required.
Thanks! I can do that without a problem.

Strangely, my tablet bought at the same time and same make hasn't been affected at all by it.

It rarely gets used but we did try it and let it do a Windows update last week after Ian's wouldn't work.

Pat
>>
>> The Dell has a Broadcom NIC - I wonder whether it was just this brand
>> that was affected or perhaps more general?
>>
Given the widespread but not apocalyptic extent of the problem then yes, I reckon it's a specific combination of NIC chipset, driver and maybe some other apparently unrelated code that caused the problem.
Do you think a system restore back to before the problem started would be a short cyut Spamcan?

Pat
I've not tried system restore on my Win10 machine (couldn't find it..) but yeah, if you can system restore back a couple of weeks I reckon that should work
Setting static IP address is easy enough and if you choose one high enough you'd have to be pretty unlucky for it to clash. You get a message anyway if it does.

I'd suggest on the tablet, identify whether your problem is likely to be the same as is being discussed.

First you need to know your subnet.

Right click Start symbol and click Command Prompt (Admin), then click Yes if it asks you to confirm
Type ipconfig and press enter
You should see Ethernet adapter details, the line you are interested in is

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : xxx.xx.xxx.xxx

If your IPv4 address is like Bromps further up the page (something like 169.254.252.41) then you have the similar problem, likely to be fixed by Spamcan's suggestions. Otherwise it could well be a different problem.

SO to manually set an IP address you need to know your Gateway and subnet. (The subnet is the first 3 sets of numbers of your IP address e.g. 192.16.8.0). So on a different computer -
Right click Start symbol and click Command Prompt (Admin), then click Yes if it asks you to confirm
Type ipconfig and press enter
You should see Ethernet adapter details, the line you are interested in is

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (often 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.0)

- the leading three sets of numbers are your subnet.

Then

Right click Start symbol and click Network Connections
Right click your connection and click Properties
Double click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
Click the radio button "Use the following IP Address"
Enter your desired IP address against IP address (suggest xxx.xxx.xxx.201)
Enter 255.255.255.0 in Subnet Mask
Enter xxx.xxx.xxx.1 in Default Gateway

- where the xxx's are the same as those you found above.

Click OK to commit the change then you should be able to get into the network.

Once you have done what you want change the radio button above back to Obtain and IP address automatically.

Looks complicated now I've written it down but it's taken much longer to write than it would to do it.

Or just go back to a restore point :-)
>> Do you think a system restore back to before the problem started would be a short cyut Spamcan?>>

I did do a System Restore early on and, yes, it worked.

However, for some unknown reason, when the NIC problem reappeared (after a Shut Down or Restart, can't recall which one now), System Protection had reverted to its Windows 10 Default state of Off....:-( There was adequate hard disk space for it to work properly.

So I was back to square one at the time. I now make sure on a daily basis that System Protection is still Enabled and do more Restore Points than normal.

>>
>> However, for some unknown reason, when the NIC problem reappeared (after a Shut Down or
>> Restart, can't recall which one now), System Protection had reverted to its Windows 10 Default
>> state of Off....
>>

I've seen this on Spamcan Junior's Win10 machine, and it's jolly annoying.
Smokie I feel really guilty now you have taken the time to type all those detailed instructions out.

I'm afraid I took the female equivalent of man maths.

I couldn't find system restore in Windows 10 either but I found where you could revert back to it's original state and I've done that:)

It does connect to the router ok now though but I won't go any further with it as it's only going to be passed on to someone else.

Will that have wiped most of the data off it?

Pat
>>I couldn't find system restore in Windows 10....>>

It's a strange one, but keying in Create A Restore Point into the Search Windows field (bottom left) is as good a way as any to get to the System Restore/System Protection panel...:-)
It's a bit late to tell me that now:)

Pat
>> It's a bit late to tell me that now:) >>

Perhaps, but I'm not on Car4Play on a permanent basis...:-)

In any case, you should ensure you create regular System Restore points if you haven't installed new programs, applications etc (plus ensure that System Protection hasn't gone to the Default mode)...:-)
Now look Stuart, I can't be doing with this new fangled thing called Windows10.

I just get handed it when it goes wrong as Ian goes to work with a 'sort this out please'!

My desktop is still on W7 and my lappy is W10 but I only use it for PowerPoint and saving work data!

.....and I know where system restore is in W7.

Pat
>>Now look Stuart, I can't be doing with this new fangled thing called Windows10.>>

:-) :-)

It can definitely prove a pain, especially in contrast to the very stable Windows 7 - you're right to stick to the desktop....!!
Latest Forum Posts