Non-motoring > The Dog Just Bit Me! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 33

The Dog Just Bit Me! - zippy
Bally rat dog.

One of these: tinyurl.com/yav42r32

I inadvertently sat on some of its food that it hid in the sofa (it's not allowed to do this or get on the sofa).

The dog bit its tongue in the process and is whimpering.

Whilst looking for a antiseptic swab to clean out the gash in my side, I am now getting the blame from the Mrs for hurting the dog!!!

Grrrrrr!
 The Dog Just Bit Me! - No FM2R
A dog that bit me *on purpose* would be leaving the house - one way or another.

Next time it could be a child.
 The Dog Just Bit Me! - rtj70
Bite it back - it's not a Rottweiler ;-)

I might give it benefit of doubt for now. Then if it did similar again it's time for it to go.

I'm more of a cat person and the number of times I've been scratched I'd never think.... right that's you going to the vets.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 29 Oct 17 at 00:14
>>the number of times I've been scratched I'd never think.... right that's you going to the vets.

Agreed. It thinks it was protecting its territory.

It doesn't interact with kids and is on a lead when out most of the time or in empty fields otherwise.
 The Dog Just Bit Me! - rtj70
At least it's not a rabbit... because it would be taken to the butcher instead of vets.
 The Dog Just Bit Me! - Zero
Thats not a dog! I'd be ashamed to admit it. I have two Dracula puncture scars and a chipped bone in my left ankle from one of these.

www.dogbreedslist.info/all-dog-breeds/Belgian-Shepherd-Malinois.html#.WfWBOq10efU

If it was my dog, it wouldn't be on the furniture, or have its food anywhere near it.

Dont mention rabbits, I have scars on my chest after my sons pet rabbit attacked me, vicious little git. It errr "escaped" shortly afterwards.
>>Thats not a dog

As in the original post, it's a bally rat dog!

Lhasa are one oldest breeds in the world.

>> Lhasa are one oldest breeds in the world.

Load of rubbish given out by the owners to justify how they are.

In general, the less a dog looks like a shaggy wolf, the more modern they are.
 The Dog Just Bit Me! - Dog
>>In general, the less a dog looks like a shaggy wolf, the more modern they are

This breed of dog goes back 3000 years and shaggy wolf it aint:

www.dogbreedslist.info/all-dog-breeds/Xoloitzcuintle.html
>> >>In general, the less a dog looks like a shaggy wolf, the more modern they
>> are
>>
>> This breed of dog goes back 3000 years and shaggy wolf it aint:
>>
>> www.dogbreedslist.info/all-dog-breeds/Xoloitzcuintle.html

In general the less a dog looks like a shaggy wolf thing, the more modern it is.
 The Dog Just Bit Me! - CGNorwich
Are all dogs descended solely from wolves? Are all dogs genetically the same and why do they have such physically diverse appearances?

>> Are all dogs descended solely from wolves?

Yes. All domestic dogs are.

>> Are all dogs genetically the same

All domestic dogs have the same primary shaggy wolf thing gene

>> and why
>> do they have such physically diverse appearances?

Because man changed them through selective breeding, so the further from the shaggy wolf thing the longer it takes.

Its stems from the wolf thing being the only dog man has truly domesticated, and to selectively breed you need have domesticated them first.

>> Its stems from the wolf thing being the only dog man has truly domesticated, and
>> to selectively breed you need have domesticated them first.

And it was domesticated early, at grunting caveman stage.
 The Dog Just Bit Me! - tyrednemotional
>> A dog that bit me *on purpose* would be leaving the house - one way
>> or another.
>>
>> Next time it could be a child.
>>

...........indeed, though it's a bit more difficult to banish a child from the house without the authorities intervening..........

;-)
 The Dog Just Bit Me! - Hard Cheese
>> A dog that bit me *on purpose* would be leaving the house - one way
>> or another.
>>
>>

I am sympathetic to that view.

Though 30 odd years ago I was bitten a friend's dog, a kind of Collie (spell checker said Colin :-) ), I was sitting on the floor and touched it's paw, it went for my face, I have very small scars below one eye and on my lip, turns out it had an infected claw. It was quite a young dog and lived for a good few years as I recall. I didn't blame the dog, it was down to circumstance though I have thought how much more serious it could have been had I been two and not 20 ...
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Sun 29 Oct 17 at 14:40
>>Though 30 odd years ago I was bitten a friend's dog, a kind of Collie

Dat's a breed of dog I'm wary of when I'm out with my two friendly dogs (especially the Border Collie)
Another one is the Stafford Bull Terror - best to me safe than sorry is my philopastry.

>>It was quite a young dog and lived for a good few years as I recall

It wouldn't have done if it had bit me like that. I had a mongrel from Battersea back in the 80's, the bar steward bit my toe so I took it back to said dogs home and asked for it to be 'put to sleep'.

The girl (kennel maid) tried to get me to change my mind, so I said LQQK ... what if you rehome it and it bites a child. I've always said the dog was schizo - it bit my sister too.

His name was Rover (I kid ye not!)
 The Dog Just Bit Me! - Manatee
A friend of mine has just given a home to a 'failed' sheepdog, a smooth collie bitch. Probably a couple of years old, and had never lived in a house!

Now coming along nicely but was very edgy/snappy to begin with. Her owner is experienced with dogs and the pecking order is now established.
 The Dog Just Bit Me! - DP
>> A friend of mine has just given a home to a 'failed' sheepdog, a smooth collie bitch.
>> Probably a couple of years old, and had never lived in a house!

>> Now coming along nicely but was very edgy/snappy to begin with. Her owner is
>> experienced with dogs and the pecking order is now established.

Border collies have a tendency to be "nippy" when they are excited or frustrated. Working dogs actually use this to drive stubborn sheep in the right direction. It's not malicious, but can be uncomfortable if they catch you, and it's a behaviour you want rid of ASAP.

We've had a 15 year old Border Collie x Lab from 18 months old as a rescue, and he was like this when he first arrived home. Took us about 2 months to get him out of it, mostly by withdrawing all attention from him every time he did it. It didn't take him long to make the association, and the rest was just getting him out of the habit.

Dogs have incredible bite inhibition and control, and this can be exploited through training the same as anything else. He used to be very fond of 'playfighting' on the floor with me (as he would with another dog) and would frequently end up with my forearm or hand in his mouth, releasing without so much as making an indent in the skin. When the kids came along, he was brilliant with them as well, although developed a protective attitude with other dogs when out walking which could be annoying.

Now he's just old and cantankerous, and with about half his teeth missing, not what he used to be, bless him. Still enjoys a slightly arthritic run across the common, but otherwise mostly sleeps.
 The Dog Just Bit Me! - bathtub tom
>>Dogs have incredible bite inhibition and control, and this can be exploited through training the same as anything else. He used to be very fond of 'playfighting' on the floor with me (as he would with another dog) and would frequently end up with my forearm or hand in his mouth, releasing without so much as making an indent in the skin. When the kids came along, he was brilliant with them as well

Had a springer like that. I'd offer her a bonio with my finger hidden under it, she'd take it, but release it as soon as she felt my finger. She'd spend a couple of hours cracking a raw bone though, so there was plenty of power in her jaws. We used to 'play fight, I'd usually end up getting slobbered over.
She grew up with my daughters and they learned to walk by hooking their fingers in the fur on her ears and pulling themselves up. She yelped occasionally and they'd let go, but never a hint of malice.
I reckon they all thought they were sisters. Daughters were distraught when she died.
 The Dog Just Bit Me! - The Melting Snowman
>>Now he's just old and cantankerous, and with about half his teeth missing, not what he used to >>be, bless him. Still enjoys a slightly arthritic run across the common, but otherwise mostly >>sleeps.

Sounds like the missus' description of me...
 The Dog Just Bit Me! - Cliff Pope

>>
>>

That's a bit harsh. All young children bite sometimes.
Jist as well it wasn't one of these, knowlmean! www.dogbreedslist.info/all-dog-breeds/Beauceron.html
 The Dog Just Bit Me! - Ambo
The OP refers to a domestic incident but this useful general information was provided for me by another poster:

www.wikihow.com/Handle-a-Dog-Attack
 The Dog Just Bit Me! - Manatee
You are clearly not the top dog in your house.
From what I can tell, he is at least third in the pecking order
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 29 Oct 17 at 12:49
 The Dog Just Bit Me! - Ted

Kill it with fire !
 The Dog Just Bit Me! - MD
Dog bites. Dog goes by whatever means.
 The Dog Just Bit Me! - R.P.
My Working Cocker was acquired at 18 months. What he saw and was treated like can only be guessed at. The previous owner did say that he lived in a cupboard under the stairs and that he'd never been walked. He has issues, but he's had nothing but love here (good food, exercise and care) - he doesn't like everyone - he has snapped at people but he's managed, he doesn't like people leaning over him..

Trouble with him, he looks fantastic at 11 and looks cuddly and always draws attention a word of warning is given to people...
Few years ago I got Arnie, a GSD, from a supposedly German Shepherd rescue centre.
They told me he was in there 'cos the owner had become ill.
I tracked her down (I'm good at that) she'd moved down to Boscastle from Durham, got the dog as a pup, treated 'im like a baby for two years, then put it in kennels while she flew orf to Florida for two weeks.

Arnie was never the same after that stressful event, had IBS (caused by the stress) and attacked her BiL as he came into the owse.

Arnie attempted to remove the calf muscle of my ole mate Don - he said he'd have sued me if it had been anyone else.

Dog tried to bite my ride-on lawnmower service man, so he (it) had to go by then. I took him to an RSPCA centre, told them his history hoping they could rehome him with someone who understood wonky GSD's.

They killed him the next day without telling me - I would have taken him back if I knew they were going to do that.
I've never forgiven them ... or myself.
 The Dog Just Bit Me! - Mapmaker
My cat can be quite fierce, he doesn't like much fussing. People meeting him for the first time are warned not to touch. They almost always do, and it's their fault...

For the first time since living in London I have neither mice nor rats. But I would never leave him in a room with a child.

OP's dog should be on its way to heaven. Or his wife; dogs shouldn't go on the sofa, and they shouldn't have their food in the drawing room.
 The Dog Just Bit Me! - VxFan
>> in the drawing room.

I had to Google that to see what room in the house it referred to.
 The Dog Just Bit Me! - R.P.
Quite right Mapmaker ! Dining room or Kitchen...good grief ! :-)
 The Dog Just Bit Me! - BiggerBadderDave
I draw for a living. But I do it in the office.

I bet you'd like one like this Bad Dave [maybe you have??]

www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/24261926198/in/datetaken-public/lightbox/
Latest Forum Posts