Motoring Discussion > SEAT - WLTP emissions changes and buying a new car. Buying / Selling
Thread Author: PeterS Replies: 82

SEAT - WLTP emissions changes and buying a new car. - PeterS
The upcoming changing in emissions testing had completely passed me by...details here:
www.thecarexpert.co.uk/new-wltp-emissions-rules/

But broadly speaking, every new car on the market needs retesting before September in order to remain on sale. Manufacturers have already stopped selling some versions, presumably because they know they won’t meet the new standards? The replacement for my car, an M240i is now only available to order with a manual gearbox. SEAT have stoped taking offers for the 1.5 Ibiza. I’m sure there are others!

Now, ordinarily the fact it had passed me by wouldn’t be an issue...who ‘has’ to buy a new car... after all, I only bought one in March...

ibb.co/eNpxOS

Chosen after a not terribly detailed analysis of the market based on the following criteria:
Needed to be petrol / auto to suit its useage
Needed to be as similar in specification to the A3 e-tron as possible, as once you’ve had toys it’s hard to go without ;)
Needed to be considerably cheaper than the A3 as it pained me every time it was scuffed, bashed, kerbed and generally treated as an appliance ;)
Needed to have a decent sized boot
Needed to be nice to drive, not because my partner cares about such things but I do drive it at times!

Unfortunately, as posted, well off topic, in the BMW recall thread that car has met a somewhat untimely end...

ibb.co/gCkoty

Now, there a 22 + week lead time for a like for like replacement (I ticked every option except for the ‘beats’ audio system...) and no cars in the pipeline with the ‘essentials’ from my perspective. What are the essentials...? Well, petrol/auto/sunroof/climate control (not just ac)/LED (or xenon) lights and adaptive cruise.

I’m not considering the Corsa or the Adam because I don’t like the look of them
The Polo is out for the same reason; it looks like someone’s pumped up the old one with a bicycle pump. So I think I’m looking for something which a few sharp edges
There are no 1.4 TSi auto A1s to be found anywhere

So, what am I missing...? I’ve never really had Japanese or Korean cars on the radar. Should I? Who else makes smallish, well equipped, good to drive and sharp looking superminis? I don’t really want a pseudo 4x4 of soft roader version, though I accept that the way the market is going.

Though, on the supermini front, to drive, the new Ibiza didn’t really feel a whole lot smaller than the A3 and, of course, the main driver interfaces were familiar to someone who’s had years of VAG cars on and off.

SEAT - WLTP emissions changes and buying a new car. - Bobby
Strange that passenger airbag went off? Thought most cars had sensors now to detect if anyone in seat?

Re 1.5 engine, my uncle just got a brand new Octavia with this. Had originally looked at the £30 Road tax 1.4 engine but was told this had been superseded with the 1.5 due to better emissions etc?

So is the 1.5 disappearing again or was it just that model?

On replacements assume he doesn’t like the Arona?
There was a bag on the passenger seat...and that was the side of the impact, so maybe that has something to do with the airbag deployment. Side and curtain airbags didn’t deploy!

I don’t think the 1.5 is disappearing; I assume they’re prioritising the testing of big volume sellers (so with that engine Golfs, A3, Octavia etc) rather than niche ones?

I’m not sure if Arona availability is any better than the Ibiza, but I’m not keen on it’s jacked up appearance...
 SEAT - WLTP emissions changes and buying a new car. - rtj70
I wonder if VW group cars will end up like many Japanese cars with you having to go for a particular model to get the spec you want. The new emissions tests seem to suggest you need to test every variant - so if you can swap wheels, add a multitude of options.... that's a lot of permutations to test.

The 1.5 VW group petrol engine is the 1.4 replacement. Seems to have identical power and torque and similar emissions - can only assume the real world emissions are better.
 SEAT - WLTP emissions changes and buying a new car. - Runfer D'Hills
If you do find something that is especially resilient Peter, do let us know, I could also be interested...

;-)
 SEAT - WLTP emissions changes and buying a new car. - Zero
>> If you do find something that is especially resilient

Specially in the wheel department. Some blokes cant do three point turns with biguns
 SEAT - WLTP emissions changes and buying a new car. - Rudedog
One of the sad things I do of an evening is spec up my possible next new car... looks like the standard Golf GTi is missing of the site leaving the 245PS, maybe just demand like the GTE not emissions (I hope).
 SEAT - WLTP emissions changes and buying a new car. - PR
When you say you can't order one does that mean just for now or ever?

The reason I ask is that I was in my local Alfa showroom last week and salesman was telling me all order books are closed, and will re open in a month or so. You can buy new cars but only from dealer stock.
>> When you say you can't order one does that mean just for now or ever?
>>
>> The reason I ask is that I was in my local Alfa showroom last week
>> and salesman was telling me all order books are closed, and will re open in
>> a month or so. You can buy new cars but only from dealer stock.
>>
>>

This seems to be the case at a lot of manufacturers at the moment. You can only buy from stock, which is limited, and they have few or no spec amendable cars in the pipeline for pre September delivery. The only one I’ve found that will let you order a new car and quote a delivery time in a single digit number of weeks is MINi. As the BMW is in for a service I’ve asked for a MINI Cooper petrol for the day via the adjacent MiNi dealer and we’ll see what that’s like :)
I like Minis. Not so much the ones that seem to have been force fed, but the three door Coopers are still very cool.

You're probably too young to remember Simon Dee I suppose?
 SEAT - WLTP emissions changes and buying a new car. - Duncan

>> You're probably too young to remember Simon Dee I suppose?
>>

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Dee
>> I like Minis. Not so much the ones that seem to have been force fed,
>> but the three door Coopers are still very cool.
>>
>> You're probably too young to remember Simon Dee I suppose?
>>

No idea who he is! And that’s after reading Duncan’s link ;)

We had a MiNi Cooper in 2002 shortly after the BMW version was launched, and it was a nice car. I agree the three door looks best, but I am drawn to the Clubman sometimes...something about the rear view makes it look very low and wide from some angles, almost as if it’s been chopped. It hasn’t of course, it’s a huge car relatively speaking for a MINI. And the asymmetrical balding would annoy... C L U B on one door, and M A N on the other

Also, a quick play on the Configurator shows that a MINI Cooper Clubman auto with CHILI pack and a smattering of other options is £31k before discount...
Sorry, forget Simon Dee, I think I meant Peter Sellers. He had a Mini Radford. Wicker doors or something. As you were...
Last week I was alongside a MINI Countryman which was behind an Austin Mini Countryman. A bit of a size difference there. Just like an original Mini vs. a current MINI 3 door.
>> Sorry, forget Simon Dee, I think I meant Peter Sellers. He had a Mini Radford.
>> Wicker doors or something. As you were...
>>

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Sellers
>>I agree the three door looks best, but I am drawn to the Clubman...

"Espada" (remember him?) has just recently bought one of those for his wife (I "talk" to him elsewhere)

Seems well pleased with it, he's gone with a diesel manual version.
>> Seems well pleased with it, he's gone with a diesel manual version.

Good to hear... we’d go petrol auto, but that can only be an improvement ;)
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 1 Jun 18 at 01:55
 SEAT - WLTP emissions changes and buying a new car. - Bill Payer
>> One of the sad things I do of an evening is spec up my possible
>> next new car... looks like the standard Golf GTi is missing of the site leaving
>> the 245PS, maybe just demand like the GTE not emissions (I hope).
>>

I did read somewhere that the GTi is being dropped due to WLTP.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Wed 30 May 18 at 12:18
Didnt know what WLTR was so looked it up on VW site and found this.

Will the model portfolios of Volkswagen change?

No. At present no changes to the model portfolio are planned. Individual models and their engines will have to be further engineered in order to achieve even higher efficiency and reduce emissions as per the regulations. However, models will not be discontinued as a result of WLTP.

Looks the the GTi is safe (both versions) hopefully until I can buy one.
>> Looks the the GTi is safe (both versions) hopefully until I can buy one.
>>

This is the article I saw: tinyurl.com/y7zx5dwo (page 2). Says the performance version will remain, but not the 'basic' one.
OK, well Google translate made a pigs-ear of that article.. although it says most GTi buyers opt for the 245PS version, maybe in Germany but over here most of the used cars on the VW site are the standard version and a well specced 2017/18 performance version is rare, so they may lose out in the UK if they drop it.

Doesn't bother me because I would go for the higher power car anyhow.. would go for the R but I actually prefer the looks of the GTi.
Peter, I assume you have discounted the new Fiesta?

By all accounts it has improved dramatically over the out going version especially internally where it is much more modern looking?
 SEAT - WLTP emissions changes and buying a new car. - PR
www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/porsche-order-books-temporarily-closed-amid-wltp-changes

Porsche order books also closed..

>> www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/porsche-order-books-temporarily-closed-amid-wltp-changes
>>
>> Porsche order books also closed..

I spotted that too ;)
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 31 May 18 at 01:53
>> Peter, I assume you have discounted the new Fiesta?
>>
>> By all accounts it has improved dramatically over the out going version especially internally where
>> it is much more modern looking?
>>

I haven’t completely discounted it, and the interior looks better. But... it does have rather annoying LED daytime running lights ;)

Been a bit manic this week, but need to pull together a bit of a short list and kick some tyres.
 SEAT - WLTP emissions changes and buying a new car. - Auntie Lockbrakes
It's probably a difficult time of the year to spec and buy a new car exactly to your liking. Apart from the emissions legislative changes in the pipeline (see what I did there!), keep in mind that most of the European manufacturing plants will wind down for a month in July/August, and then it's new registration madness in the UK in September.

As usual, dealers will try to sell you the model that suits them, not you.

If you can't find something you like in dealer stock somewhere, I wouldn't bank on ordering and getting what you want until October-time...

My default suggestion these days: go take a look at a Honda Civic 1.5 turbo?
>> My default suggestion these days: go take a look at a Honda Civic 1.5 turbo?

I’m almost certain that you’re correct; a stop-gap for the summer might be required... or a summer off driving...

The Civic is, I think, a larger car? And looking at the Honda Configurator it’s got almost 200bhp...I fear that might just mean hitting a wall faster ;) Looks like there’s a 1 litre though. CVT transmission in that though; are they reliable?

Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 31 May 18 at 01:53
 SEAT - WLTP emissions changes and buying a new car. - Old Navy
>>there’s a 1 litre though. CVT transmission in that though; are they reliable?
>>
>> Thanks :)
>>

I have a 1.5 Jazz CVT, no turbo and only 130bhp, I have no worries about reliability. Honda have been putting CVTs in cars for over 20 years, there must be millions in use worldwide, have you heard of problems? The Toyota Prius survives taxi use and huge mileages without CVT problems as do AUDI and Subaru . Nissan is the CVT to avoid.

Warning robust Aussie language.

youtu.be/4OSDw-uyP98
Where you been, boy?
Just doing other things.

The video link was prompted by a friend who mentioned his DSG fitted Yeti was juddering when creeping in and out of his garage. I said that will be the clutches slipping. He thought he had an auto box! I linked him to the video.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 31 May 18 at 08:10
>>
>> I have a 1.5 Jazz CVT, no turbo and only 130bhp, I have no worries
>> about reliability.

Thanks. The 130ish bhp Civic is a 1 litre turbo now though. Perhaps it’s Nissan CVTs I’m thinking off; that and the fact that few manufacturers use them now makes me wonder... Then again, there’s every possibility it won’t be a mechanical issue that signals the car’s end of life!
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 31 May 18 at 10:08
I would expect the WLTP regs to kill off the tiny turbos by the end of the year. I believe the manufacturers will be permitted to sell off a small percentage of in stock non compliant cars after the regs are introduced.

www.trusteddealers.co.uk/nfda/will-the-wltp-emissions-regulation-change-cause-you-to-force-register-un-sold-stock-vehicles/
I hope not; I like the tiny turbocharged petrol engines in small cars!
 SEAT - WLTP emissions changes and buying a new car. - Boxsterboy
These WLTP rules are causing nearly all manufacturers no end of problems as various (mostly higher performance) models have to be withdrawn pending adjusting engine settings to meet the rules!
>> I would expect the WLTP regs to kill off the tiny turbos by the end
>> of the year.

I would expect not. something has to fill the now taboo diesel void and tiny turbos are it. They will just tweak the MPG down a bit is all.
OK, so now I'm confused...

One lot of you are saying the small cars will go and the others the high BHP cars will go.

Which is it? or will they just morph into new cars eventually?

Again the text below is taken directly from the VW site, seems for them their 1.0L turbo is the only car currently approved for WLTP.

Models with derivatives type approved under WLTP.

Up! GTI (see pricelist for details)

Models not shown above do not yet have any derivatives type approved under WLTP.
eventually all cars will be electric.

WLTP is just a change in the measurement process all cars being sold will need to be re-certified, it just means that makers cant cheat as much as they used to, and some of the old models they dont want people to know how much they cheated, so they will be dropped.
When I got my A3 1.4T DSG the emissions were the same for SE, Sport and S-Line. Different sized wheels. After I got mine the emissions for those were all different with higher emissions for an S-Line. Go for 19" wheels and worse still.

This was soon after DieselGate.
I'm sure I should know this but do electric cars have the same sort of thing as quoted MPG so miles-per-charge (or whatever this would be) so buyers can do real world comparisons depending on the options like ICE cars?

>> I'm sure I should know this but do electric cars have the same sort of
>> thing as quoted MPG so miles-per-charge (or whatever this would be) so buyers can do
>> real world comparisons depending on the options like ICE cars?

No they only have range anxiety.

There are only two types of electric car, Tesla and not far enough.
 SEAT - WLTP emissions changes and buying a new car. - Lygonos
>>do electric cars have the same sort of thing as quoted MPG so miles-per-charge

Yes, and they tell similar lies as for ICE.

NEDC range ratings are typically 30-50% higher than are achievable.

The American EPA ratings are much more useful (for ICE too)

My B250e is NEDC rated as 124 miles without using its range extender feature, but realistically will cover 85-95 miles in summer or 65-70 in winter without driving excessively slowly. (Add 10-15 miles if using the range button when charging - charges to around 91% capacity rather than 77%)

The Achilles heel of EVs is sustained fast motorway driving which encourages staying at 65 rather than 75-80 - if it wasn't limited I expect my car could do 130mph but would probably run out of juice after 10 minutes at that speed.

The flip-side is that EVs are fantastically efficient in town environments - a KIA Soul EV used as a minicab in the South of England regularly manages 150miles on a charge in summer while its NEDC rating is 132 miles (and would manage around 100 miles of 'regular' driving)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Fri 1 Jun 18 at 08:27
Have noticed a couple of Nissan Leaf private hires in Glasgow
 SEAT - WLTP emissions changes and buying a new car. - RichardW
There's 2 bits to the new testing - the WLTP and the RDE. The WLTP is not a problem - that just gives higher consumption figures (although they may chose to stop offering certain models if the consumption looks really bad / CO2 tax is hiked); the problem the makers are having is with the RDE (real driving emissions) where they have to meet (well be close to at the moment) the NOx and particulates emissions regs during actual driving tests. Direct injection petrols are going to need particulate filters to meet the particulates parts in RDE - Pug have suspended the 308 GTi with the 1.6 turbo GDI engine for this reason while they re-work it.
There is now a short list... The requirements are petrol, auto, car-like (by which I mean not an SUV, 4x4, people carrier and the like), ability to seat 4 for a reasonable amount of time, have acceptable performance and not to cost too much more than £20k

Top of the replacement list is still the Ibiza. Nominally ruled out because of lead times, but if everything else is similar then it’s still the preferred choice. Unless the new A1 is not too much more ;)

But I do need to find out about the new Fiesta, Nissan Micra and Renault Clio in auto form, and how long the lead times are. The Citroen C3 Aircross is an outsider, simply based on looks. As is the Dacia Duster, though to be fair I’m not sure that even comes as an auto. And yes, I know, an SUV type thing... I’d have quite liked another Up!, but it won’t really seat 4,and the auto box is widely slated. I think it’s an outl,awed manual, rather than a proper auto. The MINI Cooper Clubman is currently off this list as it fails on the price front. It’s possible to get one for not much more than £20k, but it’s impossible not to be tempted by the options list, and without some of the options I fear it’ll feel less premium than the price suggests...

...so there might also have to be a Plan B list, where some of the constraints are relaxed ;)
Giulietta?

Well, they do say you have do it once...

;-)
 SEAT - WLTP emissions changes and buying a new car. - legacylad
Done it.
Alfasud years ago
I can still hear that lovely rasp from the exhaust
I've heard they can affect people like that. It's the bills mainly I gather... ;-)
 SEAT - WLTP emissions changes and buying a new car. - legacylad
The bodywork didn’t last long enough. It perished before there was any mechanical frailty.
1300cc Sud, strange green colour, bought third hand off a friend.
Well, a very quick update...

The Dacia and the Nissan aren’t available in petrol auto format apparently, so they’re out.
Tomorrow entails a trawl round the Ford, Renault and Citroen dealer to see what lead times are for petrol autos! There’s no movement on price (over the phone at least) from the SEAT dealer on the demo model refunded below (or possibly above, depending where this ends up!)
Renault is nice... 8/12 weeks for an auto
Citroen not so nice... the C3 had a certain attraction in Greece...like their wine, it doesn’t travel well...
Ford? Well, I’m not one for too much formaility, but I object to being called mate as an initial welcome. No matter, I’m sure he will call back with a lead time at some point.
Kia tomorrow morning! The outside looks okay, in a slightly contrived way, the interior is difficult to judge based on the website...
I’ve also emailed Nissan...I can’t believe they have no petrol auto...that’s the core market for a micra surely?
The MINI man (I’m sure he’ll love that) called today. Could have one in 4 weeks if not fussy on spec; 6 weeks for a spec changeable car in the pipeline...

As an aside, al bar one of the last 6 news cars have been bought online either via brokers or direct with dealers. It’s much less hassle! And I think you get better service too; certainly quicker.
 SEAT - WLTP emissions changes and buying a new car. - Auntie Lockbrakes
Based on the above, it sounds like MINIman is going to win your business!

You haven't mentioned the Merc A-class. Hasn't the model recently been updated? Probably loads of pre-reg and run-out stock of the old model out there..?
>> Based on the above, it sounds like MINIman is going to win your business!
>>
>> You haven't mentioned the Merc A-class. Hasn't the model recently been updated? Probably loads of
>> pre-reg and run-out stock of the old model out there..?
>>

If it wasn’t outside the self imposed budget then yes, I could have stock car almost immediately, at a list price of £28ish K and one closer to budget in 4/6 weeks with a sensible spec. But I can’t believe no one else can offer a smallish petrol auto for delivery in less than 12 weeks! Although, the MINI is built in the UK...maybe that really does make a difference.

The Merc A class is a good shout though, and I assume being a Merc autos are likely to be more prevalent. Will call my local dealer tomorrow, albeit it’s a larger car than a supermini. Though, to be fair, as I’ve discovered, so is a MINI Clubman!

On the price front, I thought I’d do a quick look back...
In 2002 we took delivery of a brand new MINI Cooper (3 door only back then)
List price from memory was £11,600, and we added what I thought was an obscene £2,600 of extras to give an on the road price of £14,200. No discount.
Using an online inflation calculator that’s £22,300 in today’s money

But a 3 door MINI Cooper in standard paint (ours was red, but that’s now optional), a CHILI Pack, part leather seats, cruise, floor mats and auto dimming rear view mirror is now £20,255. And you’ll get 10% off through a broker, and another £1,300 if you take their finance (albeit at 5.9%, but pay it off in a month or so and that’s still at least £1,200 off). So around £17,000. Cheaper in real terms by a large margin! And also comes with Nav, Bluetooth, ESP, climate control and a whole lot more that the 2002 didn’t. I think a CD player was optional back then. Today it’s almost a bargain.
Stacks of new Mercs in stock:

www.drivethedeal.com/SpecialOffers.aspx

Discounts are around 25%
>> Stacks of new Mercs in stock:
>>
>> www.drivethedeal.com/SpecialOffers.aspx
>>
>> Discounts are around 25%
>>

Thanks! I like the A class; I’m always happy if I get one as a hire car :)
The drivethedeal ones seem mainly diesel, but let’s see what MB Chichester say. An A180/200 petrol auto with a premium pack would do just fine I imagine, especially if it’s in that green colour!
>> Stacks of new Mercs in stock:
>>
>> www.drivethedeal.com/SpecialOffers.aspx
>>
>> Discounts are around 25%
>>
In £ terms, the discounts look enormous - but I don't think I'd risk putting my money into a diesel now.

More interesting would be to know the monthly PCP payments, so MB Finance can take the risk of owning the car. I wonder what the GFVs are - that would give an idea of expected depreciation - I bet they're horrible.

>>I don't think I'd risk putting my money into a diesel now

Unless I was doing 100+ miles every day neither would I.

There are a few petrol variants amongst the list, eg.

MERCEDES-BENZ A CLASS HATCHBACK A200 WhiteArt 5dr Auto

>> Although, the MINI is built in the UK

Assembled here yes but some bits will come from outside the UK. Engines are partly made here, shipped to Germany to be finished and then shipped back to be inserted into cars.
>> Based on the above, it sounds like MINIman is going to win your business!
>>
>> You haven't mentioned the Merc A-class. Hasn't the model recently been updated? Probably loads of
>> pre-reg and run-out stock of the old model out there..?
>>

Just to bring this to a conclusion, Auntie Lockbrakes was correct. The man from MINI was the only one to actually listen to what I wanted, understand that actually getting a car quickly was important and hear what was important spec wise. The sales guy at Ford lost interest when I wasn’t going to buy a manual one he had in stock. Still waiting for a call back on lead times for an auto. The MB dealer tried, but for me the combination of model/spec/options and price didn’t really stack up for a car that’s being replaced next week. A SEAT would still have been my preference, but virtually no used stock (and none at a price low enough to make it a good buy) and a 6 month lead time meant it was out too.

So a built to order (modified pipeline car) 3 door MINI Cooper auto will be delivered around the 15th July. It now comes with a DSG gearbox apparently, which is good as the Clubman I drove with the 8 speed box was a bit too laggy for my liking. In Melting Silver with a black roof, darkened rear windows and standard black cloth/leather interior I think it’ll look pretty smart :)

The standard car is reasonable value at £19,270 including the auto box and metallic paint. Add a CHILI pack at a somewhat pricey £2,800 (which does get you lots of stuff...), the frankly overpriced Navigation Plus Pack, a sunroof, privacy glass, adaptive suspension, adaptive lights and heated seats and you’ve added £6,800 of options...to a MINI... though you’ll convince yourself it’s only £4,000 because the CHILI pack is a trim level... ;) 11% discount makes it just under £23,500 on the road. A further £1,300 off by taking £5k of MINI finance (at a somewhat pricey 5.9%, but one months interest is only going to be £25 or so) makes it close enough to £22k to make no difference. Which is almost in budget...and I’m £1k up on the insurance payout anyway so it’s really only £21k ;)

Let’s hope it lasts longer than the poor Ibiza!
Sounds great, did you check out how much it would be to have scaffolding poles welded all around it, y’know, just in case... ;-)
>> Sounds great, did you check out how much it would be to have scaffolding poles
>> welded all around it, y’know, just in case... ;-)
>>

I should take a look at the accessories brochure I guess...I mean, if they do a tent for the roof they must have protection against walls covered...?

dornob.com/rev-the-roof-tiny-rooftop-tent-rides-on-mini-cooper-cars/

It’s a bargain at £2,400. Not including delevery. And it comes from Italy...
 SEAT - WLTP emissions changes and buying a new car. - No FM2R
b***** marvellous those roof top tents.

Very common for travelling around in South America where we have a bit more than earwigs to worry about.

Not sure the MINI is the right car though, but I guess it would be ok in the desert.
There have been times in my life when I had very little money but needed somewhere to sleep when away from home. I've usually had large estate cars so that was never really a major problem if there was room to to stretch out in the back in a sleeping bag. Find a public swimming pool in the morning to clean up and Robert was your father's brother.
;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 16 Jun 18 at 09:30
And for complete (hopefully!) closure on this, it would have been delivered a couple of weeks ago...except I took the opportunity to change the spec again just before it was scheduled for production. So now we are picking up a Cooper S Clubman next week, but otherwise spec as above. Even so, a 7 or 8 week lead time is fine by me :)
 SEAT - WLTP emissions changes and buying a new car. - Avant
Out of curiosity I looked at nearly-new Ibizas on Autotrader - lots of manuals but only one automatic: but it's at St. Leonards, near Hastings. Aren't you near the south coast somewhere? If so it could be worth a look: it's an FR which has plenty of kit on it.
Thanks! Assume you mean this one?
usedcars.seat.co.uk/en/used-cars/seat/ibiza/10-tsi-115ps-fr-dsg-ss-5-door-jqbmgya

Says that it’s 52 miles away from us :)
Same colour as the one that’s been written off, and only lacking the panoramic roof, 18” wheels (which I’m not fussed about...) and keyless entry that we’d ordered I think. Possibly lacking active cruise. But I’ll give them a calll...there’ll need to be some movement on price though, as that’s only £700 less than a brand new one *with* those options! But, it’s available now and not at Christmas ;)
£20k will get you a Kia Soul Sport* (201hp, petrol auto, pano roof, 18" wheels)

Looks like a Fiat Panda that's overdone the steroids.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMr73Yweyeo

*from drivethedeal.com

>> *from drivethedeal.com

Thanks...not sure I’ve seen one of those? There’s a Kia dealer about 8 miles away; will have to take a look!
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 6 Jun 18 at 02:13

>>
>> Thanks...not sure I’ve seen one of those?

You've had some luck then.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44383226

VW now having extended summer shutdowns due to a lack of testing capacity.... so that’ll rule out the VAG then!
Is the Ibiza's big brother too big?
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201804205732547
A slight whinge here , one of the features I don't like about some of the VAG range is the heater controls.
Here is a perfect example, new car, mid spec, but the standard VAG heater controls that I am pretty sure are similar to the 1983 Polo we sued to have!

OK, you can argue they are functional and simple but maybe I just like too many gadgets.....
 SEAT - WLTP emissions changes and buying a new car. - Bromptonaut
>> OK, you can argue they are functional and simple but maybe I just like too
>> many gadgets.....

Better those than faffing around with a touchscreen....
My last three cars have had climate control.

Other than adjusting temperature, and occasional front windscreen demist, I don’t think I have ever touched any of the other controls.

When I drive the wife’s car without climate, I find myself having to adjust them often. And yes it’s a Beetle with the rotary controls mentioned above.
>> many gadgets.....
>>
I don't get how you'd "gadetize" heating controls?

Put them in a touchscreen and you get less gadgets - that's why manufacturers like them, they're cheaper.

Those controls in the Leon look identical to our Tiguan (and are pretty similar to my old C-Class). Never given them a second thought - they just work (better in the VW than the Merc though!).
 SEAT - WLTP emissions changes and buying a new car. - commerdriver
>> Put them in a touchscreen and you get less gadgets - that's why manufacturers like
>> them, they're cheaper.
>>
Vary attractive but for users anything on a touchscreen is not usable while in motion by a solo driver.
Heater controls, or rather climate control controls, are pretty much set and forget for me, I very rarely need to touch them. Never had them as part of the touchscreen anyway.
On many VW group cars (thinking of the Golf, Passat, Superb, etc). you have physical heater controls including buttons but you can also press the MENU button and then make changes using the touch screen.
>> A slight whinge here , one of the features I don't like about some of
>> the VAG range is the heater controls.
>> Here is a perfect example, new car, mid spec, but the standard VAG heater controls
>> that I am pretty sure are similar to the 1983 Polo we sued to have!
>>
>> many gadgets.....
>>

Aren’t those rotary controls still climate control though? Looks like there’s an auto button? I know that I’ve had Mercs and BMWs with climate control and rotary controls. In fact my current BMW has that set up
No not on the one I posted.
Did you see my link above on a Leon? Too big?
>> No not on the one I posted.
>> Did you see my link above on a Leon? Too big?
>>

Sorry, I got distracted by the climate control / heating controls!
My original thought was another supermini sized car, but there’s already been mission creep as the A Class and MINI Clubman are bigger than that. I do Like the Leon so will have a look at them too. The one you’ve linked to looks particularly well equipped, which is a plus! Thanks!
Last edited by: PeterS on Thu 7 Jun 18 at 20:51
Would love to know if you checked out the KIA Soul Peter, as the dealers near me don't have any in stock!

am i the only one who finds the kia soul completely ugly?? like a 3 year old kid designed it using a box of rectangles??
>>am i the only one who finds the kia soul completely ugly

Handsome it is not. I find its appeal more in the realm of the utilitarian, like a Dacia Duster, Fiat Panda, or Mk1 Forester.

Small footprint but decent cabin volume.

youtu.be/rq7fdH7qheg?t=1m37s
 SEAT - WLTP emissions changes and buying a new car. - Stuartli
>>am i the only one who finds the kia soul completely ugly??>>

On a par with the Daihatsu Materia.
Latest Forum Posts