Author Topic: Water leak in boot  (Read 13424 times)

Offline mb

• GTI forum regular
Water leak in boot
« on: 03 March 2010, 13:57 »
Hi guys

Wonder if anyone can help.

Found the passenger side trim in the boot was wet a couple of weeks ago but couldn't see where it was coming from.  Car went into VW who confirmed the leak but couldn't find it but wanted to keep the car for 2 days to do a water test.  I decided to monitor it myself.

Next day I found a small puddle again.  I removed the trim as much as possible and found small drips coming from under a vent which is behind the bumper.  The water was collecting then running down through a gap in the panels and collecting on the floor (see pic).  I took the car to VW where one of the technicians had a look and said they have had this before where they replaced/resealed the vent.  (The bumper has to be removed to do this)

The car has now been in and had the vent replaced/resealed but having washed the car this morning, I have found a small puddle again.  It doesn't appear to be wet around the vent this time but there is signs as if water has been running between the gap in the panels.  The boot isn't wet anywhere else.  The rear light seal is good and it doesn't appear to be the boot seal.  Any ideas??

PS. The car is out of warranty grr!

Offline DaveN

• GTI forum regular
Re: Water leak in boot
« Reply #1 on: 03 March 2010, 14:20 »
I had this exact problem, though it was after some rear end repair and several visits to the dealers I solved it myself.

I removed the side of the bumper and used a jug of waterto trace the problem. The water is running off the roof and down the edge of the boot. It then runs down behind the light cluster and ends up flowing on to the top of the vent shown in your picture. If the vent is not sealed perfectly the water runs down in to the area in your picture and in to the spare wheel area.

So with the bumper removed or partially pulled out, I used some black silicon sealant around the top edge of the hole and around the top and sides of the vent. Then pushed it in so the sealant made a full contact around the hole.

I have had no problems since and that repair was 18 months ago. Its a bit time consuming but if you can get the dealer to take off the bumper its a quick job. Initially the vent would not sit flish no matter what was done but the silicon sealant wasd the only thing that worked in the end.

Dave N
I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades. Especially if your teammates are bad guessers.

Offline mb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 03 March 2010, 16:57 »
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I can see a black sealant all round the vent that I couldn't see before so VW have resealed it.

Think I might just go back to them as they haven't actually fixed what the car went in for!

Offline Dubbin

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 03 March 2010, 21:13 »
I've had a similar leak where water was seen dripping through a seam between two steel panels above the vent. I eventually traced it to a loose grommet around the cables at the top of the boot hatch near the hinges. There is one grommet each side where the electrics are fed from the roof to the hatch.
2013 Golf Mk7 GTI PP, DSG, Pana Sunroof, ACC, 5 Door

Offline mb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 03 March 2010, 21:39 »
I was pouring water from a watering can onto the grommet and letting it run down the side of the car/boot seal to see if I could see any getting in but the boot was open.  Neighbours must of been wondering why I was watering my car!!

I'll check the grommet tomorrow and try pouring water over it with the boot shut.

Thanks