Who has a pistol...advice needed please.

scotsgun

Hi all,
Most of my stalking is woodland and i'm considering submitting a variation for a pistol. Is there anyone who actually has one who can give some advice?

Cheers

Reading his post, it sounds as if he wants it for stalking!!!
Why would he want it for Humane despatch, most Deer when woodland stalking are taken within fifty yards!!

Just read the posts from attached thread...didn't realise it was such an emotive issue.

No probs..let it lie.

What is up with you lot these days? :rolleyes:
The guy has asked for help get off your high horses for christ sake, this stupid attitude is really not helpful to anyone. :evil:
Why should he let it lie? Just because it wrinkles the feathers of a few self righteous souls.. lol :lol:

To answer the question, you are absolutely within your rights to hold a pistol for humane dispatch, quite a few of the more sensible posters on here have actually got pistols.
If you read the previous posts look between the inane nonsense you will get the jist of good reason required.
In a nutshell you need to show you have a reasonable need to possess it, that is up to you to convince your FLO, the best way would be just to give them a call and have an off the record chat. ;)

Let it lie! Why not have another good debate?

If you are on your hands & knees crawling through a sitka spruce plantation in the dark, & come across your wounded beast,a pistol would be much easier to fire the follow up shot with.
I'd have one if I thought it would be straight forward applying.
I see on gun trader there's a SIG & a H&K for sale, either on section 5 or for humane dispatch, I'm not saying you have to flash these things about in front of your stalking mates, or wear a swish holster - Pack the gun away in your roe sack & be ready to end a deer's suffering when needed.

A chap who is a stalking neighbour of mine has a pistol for humane dispatch.

He got this after a legal dispute with Northern Constabulary - which he won. The judge took the view that owning a pistol for this reason was a 'good reason' for owning a Part 5(??? stand to be corrected on that) firearm. Northern Constabulary I usually find to be excellent and sensible to deal with but they riled against this.

The pistol is a 44 Mag. What I can't figure out is why anyone would want to lug a 5lb pistol through the woods on the offchance of having to finish a beast that was wounded but non-ambulant? Strangely I have this year had to finish two beasts (sika stags) with a knife when neck shots did'nt quite do the whole job - but this is the only time from about 2-300 deer that I have had to do this.

I'll stick with a sharp knife.

I think that if you can use anything available as stated previously it's a good thing, I personally haven't got a pistol in the UK to much agro.

What was annoying me that the guy posted a perfectly reasonable question asking for help, he didn't get help just veiled mockery :cry:

We used to have a great craic somehow seems to have lost a little something along the way ... very sad :rolleyes:

I did'nt mean to mock.

When faced with a wounded antlered deer which may very well have a go I certainly wished for a 22 pistol!

I just make the point (as I think someone above was trying to) that maybe there is an ego thing going on here.

If the deer is ambulant - you shoot it with your rifle. If its not ambulant but still alive - and may very well be in a place where you would not wish to pop off a rifle round at very close range (for me thats most places) - then surely a 22 solid behind the ear is all thats required?

I don't think anyone was mocking at all?
The question wasn't put well, in that it read to me like he wanted it for stalking :eek:
I think the link to the previous thread should have given the fella all he needed to know really? It is entirely up to him and the FLO whether or not it is justified or not.
MS

In this case,if Section 5 is allowed with special dispensation, then I'm sure a Glock 18 would be the quickest way to put the biggest amount of lead into a wounded beast.

(I am joking) :D

That's impressive, I counted 30 rounds in the slo-mo section. In real time this took less than 2 seconds.

You liked that?! Well look at this tosser.

Don't you just hate it when americans show off?!

scotsgun said:
Just read the posts from attached thread...didn't realise it was such an emotive issue.

No probs..let it lie.
scotsgun
a pistol may be a great advantage to you if you do need to get up close and personel to an injured animal to help finish it off
as would a combo or just a plain ole iron sighted rifle
at the end of the day it is just a tool for a specific job
not sure on your force, but my force want you to prove reasonable use before they will issuse you with one for humane despatch reasons only and they also want it restricted to a 2 shot
this can make a pistol/revolver an expensive item if you hav to buy a pistol first of all and then pay extra to have chambers blanked off :confused:
my force also won't allow the use of shotguns to be put on your section 1 for the use humane despatch of deer as the head of the department does not agree with it, not even solid slugs :confused:
but don't be put off applying for a pistol for humane despatch because of those few that don't agree with them or don't think you need one :rolleyes:
you are the only person that actually really knows if you really do need one and that is choice
all you hav to do is convince your FLO
ATB
stone

Hi Scotsgun,

If you still need advice on the application process, PM me and I'll share the lessons of my own experience. Basically it's a straightforward process and there are so many of us enjoying the ownership of a 'short' now, your variation application should be plain sailing so long as you can make a credible case for justification.

So soon, all being well and for less than £250 you can have one of these:

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/sw-m10hb.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/ch5nde

Who wouldn't want one?

Back