Motoring Discussion > Mazda Mazda 3 - Odd tyre question Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 18

Mazda Mazda 3 - Odd tyre question - legacylad
A week ago a friend took delivery of a 2yo Mazda 3 ( lower spec and power model) with 12k miles on the clock.
Today he noticed that both the near side tyres were 185/60 R16 Toyo’s H rated.
Both the offside tyres are 205/60 R16 Yokohama V rated.
Bought from a large supermarket ( not Motorpoint). He’s been messed around after being kept waiting for a small paint job, and has today contacted the main dealer from where the car was supplied when new to ascertain what the correct size tyres should be.
I’ve never heard of such a thing…two different sized tyres on both axles. It would appear that the 120 point pre delivery check simply wasn’t sufficiently diligent.
In his circumstances, what would you recommend…thanks.
 Mazda Mazda 3 - Odd tyre question - carmalade
If that’s the only issue, then contact the dealer and get them to sort it out . I’m surprised it didn’t bring on the abs / traction light . It’s not unusual to have different size tyres front and rear , but not left to right .
Last edited by: carmalade on Thu 4 Apr 24 at 21:23
What I thought.
Larger tyres on the rear isn’t that unusual.
Presumably the tread patterns aren’t too different, and when I asked, the tread depths are pretty similar.
 Mazda Mazda 3 - Odd tyre question - Runfer D'Hills
It could be that it normally has bigger back tyres. Quick way to check is to go through the motions of ordering new tyres from an online store. It’ll usually ask for the reg number and point out the different tyre sizes required.
My Merc has wider back tyres than its front ones for example. Could be that they have put them back on in the wrong locations after a service or something.
In any event it’s wrong right now for sure.
 Mazda Mazda 3 - Odd tyre question - Zero
would it pass an MOT like that?
 Mazda Mazda 3 - Odd tyre question - RichardW
>> would it pass an MOT like that?
>>

No... from the manual:

(b) Tyres on the same axle or on twin wheels are different sizes Major
 Mazda Mazda 3 - Odd tyre question - Manatee
It seems extremely unlikely that this model should have a "staggered fitment". As such all four tyres need to be the same size, load rating and speed rating otherwise IIUI it's actually illegal.

Although it's common for people to fit non-standard sizes I've always held to the idea that they should also be in a homologated size. The manufacturer or a dealer should be able to confirm what that is.

Four new tyres of the correct size etc should do it!

Regulation aside, it could actually be dangerous.
He’s not sure if the tyres should be 185/60 or 205/60. Still waiting for the original supplying dealer to confirm.
At the very least he should get 2 new tyres…so all four match.
It’s the G engine variant with 120 horse…the SkyActive X has 186.
 Mazda Mazda 3 - Odd tyre question - tyrednemotional
...uninformed by actual model, but Pirelli seem to indicate 205/60 for most variants of that year (all round).
Thanks tyred…what I thought on the 16inch rims.
 Mazda Mazda 3 - Odd tyre question - Kevin
>..(all round).

But slightly flat where they touch the road.
..not at the recommended 120psi. ;-)
 Mazda Mazda 3 - Odd tyre question - Bobby
Wonder if they are supposed to be different front to back, but at some point a previous owner has rotated the wheels not realising?
 Mazda Mazda 3 - Odd tyre question - Bromptonaut
>> Wonder if they are supposed to be different front to back, but at some point
>> a previous owner has rotated the wheels not realising?

That was my thought too.

Or they were put back wrongly in the workshop.

Doesn't say much for so called multi point checks if a car can get to the customer in that state.
As above, the Pirelli site allows search by make and model. Scraping a sample registration from Autotrader indicates the same 205/60 V rated tyres Front and Back (better Kevin? ;-) ) for the lower-powered (120-ish) model.

18" on some of the more powerful/sporty versions.

Given the "wrong" ones are on the nearside, I think I'd be checking whether the wheels looked newer as well, in case it's been Runfer'ed. (kerbed, hard?)
Good advice. Thanks
 Mazda Mazda 3 - Odd tyre question - Manatee
Might not be a bad idea to check the wheels are the same type/size too (width for example).
Did that. I recommended he had a long look at the near side rims…see how they compared to the offside.
Makes me wonder if the NS tyres were slashed or if a particularly obnoxious pothole knackered the pair of tyres.
 Mazda Mazda 3 - Odd tyre question - Runfer D'Hills
How very dare you T&E!
;-)
Latest Forum Posts