Motoring Discussion > Dashcam error could be invalidating your insurance Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 21

Dashcam error could be invalidating your insurance - smokie
A friend sent me this, knowing I have a wired-in dashcam.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13370841/Warning-drivers-dashcam-error-car-insurance.html

No idea if it's fact. It's the Mail after all...
 Dashcam error could be invalidating your insurance - Zero
Its complete rollox.
 Dashcam error could be invalidating your insurance - CGNorwich
I would say that it might technically be seen as a modification but I don’t really see any Insurer turning down a claim because of failure to disclose such a fitting.
 Dashcam error could be invalidating your insurance - bathtub tom
>> Its complete rollox.

That's your opinion, not that of any insurance company that I may be submitting a claim. Suffice to say mine'll now be plugged into the fag lighter.
whatever, you just let your life be guided by clickbait.
 Dashcam error could be invalidating your insurance - Bobby
OMG do folk actually read these clickbait articles and believe them???

Jeez I hope you are not on FB!!

I see the Mail front page today leads on Charlie’s first year and more Rayner rumours.
Almost as if the main political story of the last few days had, well, simply not happened.
 Dashcam error could be invalidating your insurance - Bromptonaut
I agree with Zero that it's nonsense, or it almost certainly is. However, if I fitted a hard wired dashcam to my car I'd probably report it to the insurer out of an excess of caution.
 Dashcam error could be invalidating your insurance - Robin O'Reliant
Most insurance companies now ask if you have a dashcam fitted. I've never had one ask how it is fitted.
On the other hand -

www.tivysideadvertiser.co.uk/news/24302357.dash-cam-police-reports-soar-car-insurance-warning-issued/
 Dashcam error could be invalidating your insurance - smokie
Hmm maybe I'll cut back on my undertaking then. It's something I do quite often. Being in an EV, I tend to set the cruise to 65. I'm well behaved at moving back to the most suitable inner lane once I've overtaken. So quite often I'm in lane 1, and when I approach something doing less than me in lane 2 or lane 3 I just stay in lane 1 and undertake - not particularly to make a point, more cos I CBA to move out two or three lanes to pass.

I do smile when they flash me, which happens occasionally. Not sure why they do it but maybe they're just a bit miffed that I've woken them up!! :-)

EDIT And that article does say

"Graham Conway, Managing Director at Select Van Leasing has warned that if you’ve got a dash cam hard-wired into your vehicle - rather than simply plugged-in to your car’s cigarette lighter socket or USB port - you need to notify your insurer. "
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 7 May 24 at 18:55
 Dashcam error could be invalidating your insurance - Kevin
I think the insurance problem with wired dashcams is more to do with the likelihood of someone breaking in to nick the rather obvious ~£200 camera.
Whether hard wired or plugged in to the power socket, all the cameras I have had detach from the windscreen mount in seconds and slipped into your pocket when you leave the car.
 Dashcam error could be invalidating your insurance - CGNorwich
Not much good if the dash cam has a parking mode and you want it to monitor your car while you are away
>> Not much good if the dash cam has a parking mode and you want it
>> to monitor your car while you are away
>>

So you have to weigh up the risk depending on where you are. Which is more likely, the window stoved in and the camera (And anything else they can find while they're about it) nicked, or getting pranged while the car is parked up?
>> Not much good if the dash cam has a parking mode and you want it
>> to monitor your car while you are away
>
Ah well there is the rub yoou see, if its connected to the accessory outlet, it will time out/go flat when the car systems shut down.
 Dashcam error could be invalidating your insurance - Mapmaker
If I were the insurance company, and a car were broken into and the hard-wired dashcam taken, then I wouldn't be paying for the replacement door locks.

Of course, they're more likely to go through the window which is outside the scope of the rest of the car's insurance; or through magic with the remote. But even so...
 Dashcam error could be invalidating your insurance - Bobby
Would imagine most break ins are to then see what is inside that they can steal.
Can’t imagine many cars are broken into to steal a dashcam that you can buy new for 50 quid.
If you believe the Daily Mail (is anyone that stupid) then you might not be covered for the replacement dash cam but your locks and glass etc would still be covered.
 Dashcam error could be invalidating your insurance - bathtub tom
>> Would imagine most break ins are to then see what is inside that they can
>> steal.
>> Can’t imagine many cars are broken into to steal a dashcam that you can buy
>> new for 50 quid.

I was told, the scrotes would break in for anything they could see that would fetch a couple of quid. The price of a 'fix'?
>>
>>
>> I was told, the scrotes would break in for anything they could see that would
>> fetch a couple of quid. The price of a 'fix'?
>>

They'd break in for a packet of cigarettes.
 Dashcam error could be invalidating your insurance - riddler
Have you seen the price of a packet of cigarettes nowadays.
Seen it? I pay it.
 Dashcam error could be invalidating your insurance - Fursty Ferret
I mean, I'd steal the dash cam in case it recorded me breaking in. But then it'd get lobbed in a convenient bin, not sold on.
Latest Forum Posts