Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen Polo V - Cam belt change Miscellaneous
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 12

Volkswagen Polo V - Cam belt change - maltrap
Just phoned my VW mechanic asking about a cam belt change on my 2012 polo 1.4 petrol.
He told me VW now fit belts for life, good news!
 Volkswagen Polo V - Cam belt change - Robin O'Reliant
Depends on how long they class as "Life".
 Volkswagen Polo V - Cam belt change - Rudedog
I think this more that VW UK have come into line with what has been advised from VW Germany for many years.

VW UK have now gone from a time based belt change interval to mileage with an inspection (in some cases).

Not sure what the mileage might be for a Polo 6r or 6c.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Cam belt change - Zero
VW just fobbed your mechanic off because they wont be able to bill you to change it.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Cam belt change - maltrap
My mechanic works at a VW dealership.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Cam belt change - Zero
Ask him why VW said DSG gearboxes were filled for life then. (and then went bang because they were not)

Anyway, your engine, your risk. How old is the belt? 12 years? good luck with that sunshine.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Cam belt change - Bromptonaut
I wonder if this change affects my 2016 1.2 Fabia - petrol obvs.

Every time it's been serviced since it was five years old I've been told the cambelt is 'overdue'. On one occasion I was even sent a video of how an engine might look if the cambelt 'let go'.

Belt looks OK to me.

Over the same period I've also been told front discs and pads needed doing. The discs are certainly lipped and will need replacing when the pads are next replaced.

When I asked what the critical thickness for the discs was an how thick mine were answer came there none.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Cam belt change - Robin O'Reliant
>> I wonder if this change affects my 2016 1.2 Fabia - petrol obvs.
>>
>> Every time it's been serviced since it was five years old I've been told the
>> cambelt is 'overdue'. On one occasion I was even sent a video of how an
>> engine might look if the cambelt 'let go'.
>>
>> Belt looks OK to me.
>>
>>
>>

It isn't the belt that you need worry about, I believe most failures are caused when the tensioner or the water pump give up the ghost.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Cam belt change - Bromptonaut
>> It isn't the belt that you need worry about, I believe most failures are caused
>> when the tensioner or the water pump give up the ghost.

I was told that the water pump is not driven by the cambelt but is at the other end of the block.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Cam belt change - bathtub tom
>>When I asked what the critical thickness for the discs was an how thick mine were answer came there none.

That information should be available on the internet. My Yaris has it cast into an unswept part of the disc.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Cam belt change - Kevin
A cambelt "for life" means sweet FA unless VW give an open ended warranty that if it fails they'll replace your engine FOC whatever it's age or mileage.

What was VW's policy for cambelts 12 years ago when your Polo was built?
 Volkswagen Polo V - Cam belt change - carmalade
At 12 years old , I think I’d be getting it done . Ford service on cambelt is 10 years or 100k miles . Also , think you’ll find the 1.4 had 2 cambelts .
 Volkswagen Polo V - Cam belt change - Bill Payer
At 12 yrs old it's not far off needing doing - it's not lifetime (although that could be self-fufilling :) ) - the VW Group interval is 15yrs.
Latest Forum Posts