Non-motoring > Interesting museums Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 36

Interesting museums - CGNorwich
I love visiting small and quirky museums and today made it to the Gas Works museum in Fakenham, North Norfolk. It’s basically an old gas works that somehow escaped demolition and remained intact and is now the only one left in the country. I know it sounds an odd place to visit but it was truly fascinating. Recommended if you’r ever in that neck of the woods.

Recommendations for other quirky museums welcome.
 Interesting museums - helicopter
Musical museum in Brentford, fascinating mechanical musical instruments and a mighty organ ( ooh err missus)

www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.musicalmuseum.co.uk/&ved=2ahUKEwiv6-KI1O-FAxUNXkEAHT7hAGQQFnoECBgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1qpowXNfS_81FnbkibMze9
 Interesting museums - bathtub tom
Panacea Museum Bedford. You may recall seeing adverts about the bishops opening Joanna Southcott’s Box, they never did! A really quirky religious group awaiting the second coming - wonderful.
>>Gas Works museum in Fakenham

Did that many years ago. Described how 'town gas' was manufactured.
Funchal electricity museum (Madeira).

We had a couple of hours to kill before our flight home and it was raining. No other way I would ever had managed to get SWMBO in there.
 Interesting museums - martin aston
Banks and Sons heritage tool shop and museum in Cockermouth is worth a look if you’re in the area. For anyone who remembers the days before power tools its fascinating. It’s very informal and not going to win prizes for fancy displays but it’s full of gems.

It’s primarily a shop and they sell used hand tools. I bought a hand drill as a piece of working nostalgia.
 Interesting museums - sooty123
www.hawleytoolcollection.com/index.php?sheffield-tool=the-collection

Hand tools museums.
 Interesting museums - Zero
One that surprised me was The Long Shop Museum. www.longshopmuseum.co.uk/the-long-shop-new/. - Alas currently closed -

Its a real surprise and eye opener that stuff like that* happened in a small little town - Leiston in Suffolk. Hundreds of miles away from traditional industrial capacity and resources, but of course it was bang in the middle of its target market.

Happened on it by chance a few years back on a trip to Aldeburgh a place which in itself has had a sudden rejuvenation. Best place for Fish and Chips by the way. Aldeburgh I like, because interesting stuff always happens to me when I get there. (like a full blown lifeboat shout, or the day we sneaked onto Orford Ness while it was still a National Secret)

* Partly responsible for the near death of a breed of lovely horse, the Suffolk Punch, A distant uncle in Swaffham had a couple I loved as a kid.

Last edited by: Zero on Fri 3 May 24 at 09:01
Sir John Soane's museum, 13 Lincoln's Inn Fields, London, WC2A, free entry. www.soane.org

Well worth it just for the Hogarth's I reckon.
 Interesting museums - helicopter
I was actually on the team which built the (National Secret ) on Orford Ness in the early 70's.

I recall I bought thousands of second hand railway sleepers to make site roads and the one and only ferry had queues of lorries in the village,really peed off the locals!

For the birdwatchers, that was the first place I saw an Avocet...very rare in those days.
 Interesting museums - John Boy
>> One that surprised me was The Long Shop Museum. www.longshopmuseum.co.uk/the-long-shop-new/. - Alas currently closed -
>>
I second that one. On an overcast day the lighting is perfect for photography due to rooflights. I like Aldeburg too, but haven't sampled the fish and chips because the queue has always been too long.
SWMBO hated Aldeburgh. Can't understand why, perhaps because it rained for several days solid!

By comparison, she likes Southwold, where we spent most of one day moving from pub to pub to keep out of the rain.
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Fri 3 May 24 at 15:28
 Interesting museums - Fullchat
Looking forward to a motorbike trip week after next to Norfolk.

Couple of nights in 'cough' Ipswich. Dont ask :) Enough available single bed accommodation for 10/11 and secure parking. Easily accessible food. Travel Lodge ticked the boxes.

I've done a route for the second day. Up to Bury St Edmunds (Krazy Horse Cafe),. Around north of Thetford and across to Southwold then back to Ipswich. Around 140 miles.

Next day we will probably go home around the cost taking in Cromer and Sheringham. Round the Wash and head home.

Hopefully the weather will be kind.
There's a great motorcycle museum in North Walsham
norfolkmotorcyclemuseum.co.uk
Thanks for that :)
Was in Southwold two weeks back. Weather has always been kind to me, my fav seaside town I think. Managed to borrow another Adnams glass to complete my set.
My favourite place in Southwold is on the pier, run by Tim Hunkin who I remember presenting programmes on Channel 4 with dirt under his fingernails:
www.southwoldpier.co.uk/business/under-the-pier-show/
Southwold is OK, and the harbour witth its fishing boats is interesting but it is well, a little twee and middle class. When it comes to piers Cromer's wins hands down. Proper end of the pier theatre, bar and cafe and a life boat station complete with ramp.

Cromer is to me the archetypical English seaside town. Its got

Sandy beaches
Cliff top walks
Light house.
Life boat station
Decent fish and chip shop
Decent pub (Red Lion)
Amusement for the kids

What more could you want

And on the theme of museums its got a life boat museum

>> What more could you want
>>
A place like the Under The Pier Show where you can see old ladies beside themselves with laughter.
>> Cromer is to me the archetypical English seaside town. Its got
>>
>> Sandy beaches
Tick Southwold
>> Cliff top walks
Tick
>> Light house.
Tick
>> Life boat station
buzzzz but seen one, seen em all
>> Decent fish and chip shop
tick in spades
>> Decent pub (Red Lion)
Tick lots of them
>> Amusement for the kids
avoid kids
>>
>> What more could you want

A bit more class. The Crab in Sherringham is better tho.

>> And on the theme of museums its got a life boat museum
On that theme, my fathers ex fireman was recovered from the sea (brown bread) by the cromer lifeboat.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 3 May 24 at 23:12
I like Cromer because it’s not yet been overrun by the trendies who have turned North Norfolk villages like the Burnhams into Islington on Sea. As I said Southwold is nice but it is rather twee. Not so long ago the inhabitants were upset their town would be despoiled by the opening of a Costa Coffee.

Still I have no class.
10 middle aged men on motorbikes should turn a few heads then? :)
 Interesting museums - Falkirk Bairn
>>What more could you want

More sun & less rain when on my 2 weeks

We do not do "abroad" now - airport delays is No 1 reason

Airport travel, drop off car, minibus, 2 to 3 hours before flight, 3 hour flight, delays?, passport/luggage, delays = half a very tyring day or even more
 Interesting museums - Runfer D'Hills
For many years my job required me to be on flights on a very regular basis. Now, I avoid flying as much as possible, indeed I avoid any form of public transport when I can. Fortunately, we both quite enjoy long road trips in our own cars and are more than happy to drive to the Med if we want sunshine.
>> My favourite place in Southwold is on the pier, run by Tim Hunkin

He also has a 'Novelty Automation' in London: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novelty_Automation
 Interesting museums - Dave
The Husqvarna museum in Jönköping is worth a visit if you’re passing. Guns, bikes, motorcycles, sewing machines, vending machines, mowers, chainsaws, they’ve got the lot. And if you’ve got any time left over, there is always the match museum down the road.
 Interesting museums - Kevin
If anyone gets lost and finds themselves in Basingstoke there's the Milestones Museum which is a recreation of Victorian and 1930s Hampshire. Website seems to be down at the moment so:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milestones_Museum

They have regular special display events during the summer months. Volvo cars sometime this month I think. Probably get a discount if accompanied by a Golden Retriever.
 Interesting museums - tyrednemotional
The museum at Steampunk HQ in Oamaru NZ provided an hour or so's amusing diversion.

It was recommended to me and surpassed expectations, but it's a bit of a way to go for a day out.
Morgan Museum, Rolvendon, Kent is chock-a-block with Morgan three-wheelers, other vehicles, a caravan and motoring memorabilia. Try to choose a time when it's not likely to be bus, it really is tight in there.
www.morganmuseum.org.uk/
Not a museum, but would Bunners in Montgomery qualify?
Who or what is bunners?
How about the bubble car museum ?

www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g315978-d1765501-Reviews-The_Bubblecar_Museum-Boston_Lincolnshire_England.html
>> Who or what is bunners?

It's almost a national institution. Remember all those little hardware shops when you were a kid, four candles type? Bunners is all of them rolled into one: www.bunners.co.uk/
Nope never heard of it or Montgomery tbh.
20 years ago I was surprised to be able to buy a handle for a traditional Tyzack scythe at Blyth & Wright in Sheringham, Norfolk. It was established shortly after Bunners and is also still trading.
www.blythandwright.co.uk/
Mere newcomers compared with Thorns in Norwich. Established 1835 and still going strong.
thornsdiy.com/pages/our-story
 Interesting museums - zippy
Cumberland House Natural History Museum. Portsmouth

For youngsters really or the young at heart (quite a pleasant couple of hours on a rainy afternoon).

portsmouthnaturalhistory.co.uk

It also has a butterfly "greenhouse".
Latest Forum Posts