Non-motoring > Flying drunks Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 21

Flying drunks - legacylad
Drunks, not ducks.
Friends of mine flew out to Alicante recently. An afternoon flight, so plenty of time for boozing.
He’s ex Forces so not easily offended, but in his own words “horrendous flight, lots of scroates p****d up, shouting and swearing “. They were glad to get off the plane.

Fortunately most of my regular flights these days depart at either 6AM or 7 AM so limited drinking time....I cannot understand why they continue to let these disruptive passengers board.

Well I can...not letting them board would delay the flight and lead to an even more disruptive event in the airport.

The airline was RYR...I’ve flown with them lots of times, and my personal view is that their passengers on the ‘BeniBus’ are far worse than those of Jet2.
 Flying drunks - sooty123
Maybe there should be a minimum dress standard, planters for economy, formal dress for business class and above. That'd sort out the rif raf.
 Flying drunks - Zero
Caught ruddy covid on my last flight to Alicante, that was on sleazy jet. Never used to happen on Monarch.
 Flying drunks - bathtub tom
>> Caught ruddy covid on my last flight to Alicante, that was on sleazy jet. Never
>> used to happen on Monarch.

What do you expect when you sit in a metal tube with a couple of hundred other people breathing re-cycled air for hours?
 Flying drunks - zippy
>> Maybe there should be a minimum dress standard, planters for economy, formal dress for business
>> class and above. That'd sort out the rif raf.
>>

I got upgraded to business class, wearing just jeans and a T-shirt, for being nice to the check in lady.

A stunningly beautiful and lovely 6ft brunette, who I worked with in 2008 got upgraded to first class from London to the USA.

She forgot her flight time and was decorating, realised she needed to "just go" and arrived at the airport in jogging bottoms and a t-shirt covered in emulsion (also on arms, in hair etc).

I think the skin tight jogging bottoms and t-shirt only had a few points that got the in-appropriate attention.

Flying drunks - Kevin
>..arrived at the airport in jogging bottoms and a t-shirt covered in emulsion (also on arms, in hair etc).

I think I'll try that next time. Is there any particular colour I should use?
 Flying drunks - zippy
>> >..arrived at the airport in jogging bottoms and a t-shirt covered in emulsion (also on
>> arms, in hair etc).
>>
>> I think I'll try that next time. Is there any particular colour I should use?
>>

Unless you have the "points" that she had, I don't think you'll be on to a winner! :-D
 Flying drunks - smokie
I recall an occasion when I worked for P&O and was decorating on a weekend when I was on call. I was called into the HQ in Dover urgently but as I didn't think it'd be much I just went as I was. While there another call came in from Calais and I had to go there, in my painty clothes and carrying a smart briefcase with my necessary "tools".

Far from getting an upgrade on the ferry I got stopped and quizzed by customs on the way back into the UK at about 2 in the morning!!

My skin tight jogging bottoms were no help LOL
 Flying drunks - CGNorwich

>> The airline was RYR...I’ve flown with them lots of times, and my personal view is
>> that their passengers on the ‘BeniBus’ are far worse than those of Jet2.
>>

Wel there’s your answer. don’t use Ryanair and fly to somewhere that’ doesn’t target lager swilling British yobs.
 Flying drunks - Zero

>> Wel there’s your answer. don’t use Ryanair and fly to somewhere that’ doesn’t target lager
>> swilling British yobs.

Problem is that sometimes you need to fly to airports they use, to get to places they dont.
 Flying drunks - Fursty Ferret
It's illegal for passengers to board a plane drunk, so if it's a regular problem on your flights then submit a whistleblowing report to the CAA. The airline should be doing some basic assessment of passengers before they board and steaming drunk is unacceptable.

IMHO bars in airports shouldn't be open first thing in the morning, and should be scanning boarding passes in order to limit drinks to two per person (or one per hour etc).

Just had a miserable experience sat next to a pack of four very drunk and shouty mid-50s Essex women on the train home so I'm going for the "ban alcohol on public transport altogether" approach. Two large carrier bags full of those vile pre-mixed vodka and [insert E number here] flavouring.

I'm willing to accept that you can get the train home IF you're drunk, but using it as your local bar is unacceptable.
 Flying drunks - Runfer D'Hills
I’d be in favour of removing alcohol from airports and aeroplanes altogether. Just as has been widely accepted with smoking.
 Flying drunks - smokie
I used to work with a guy who said alcohol had much more widespread and harmful impact than many drugs and should be completely banned. He had a point.
 Flying drunks - James Loveless
If alcohol was unknown to humanity and some crazy food scientist synthesised it, there would be an outcry.

It interferes with normal brain function
It alters your mood and behaviour, sometimes in an extreme and negative way
It lowers inhibition
It worsens your perception and co-ordination
It remains in your system for hours
If taken regularly over an extended period it causes devastating problems, including cancers, heart disease and mental health problems
It is, essentially, a poison

On that basis, it would be classified as a dangerous drug and banned.
 Flying drunks - Kevin
>I’d be in favour of removing alcohol from airports and aeroplanes altogether.

No - just enforce the laws we already have and stop anyone who is obviously drunk from boarding.

What I really don't see the point of, other than airport operator profit, is "Duty Free" booze.
 Flying drunks - Robin O'Reliant
>> I’d be in favour of removing alcohol from airports and aeroplanes altogether. Just as has
>> been widely accepted with smoking.
>>

I fully agree. If I can last half the day without a cigarette I don't see why others can't go the same length without a drink.
 Flying drunks - zippy
>> It's illegal for passengers to board a plane drunk, so if it's a regular problem
>> on your flights then submit a whistleblowing report to the CAA. The airline should be
>> doing some basic assessment of passengers before they board and steaming drunk is unacceptable.

Drunk in an emergency could be an absolute disaster - not in a fit state to follow instructions, blocking exit routes etc.
 Flying drunks - bathtub tom
>>not in a fit state to follow instructions, blocking exit routes etc.

I think that easily applies to the average traveller.
 Flying drunks - Fullchat
And standing arguing the toss whilst being given instructions. Although thats not necessarily related to drink/drugs these days.
 Flying drunks - Terry
All in this thread is absolutely correct - in excess alcohol can promote anti-social behaviours, it is a damaging drug, has negative impacts on judgement etc etc etc.

There is a huge difference between relaxed and disruptive behaviour. Only killjoys would presume to deny folk the former even if alcohol fuelled.

Motoring analogy - 2k killed and 30k seriously injured each year. Qualification needed - a 25 minute practical test possibly 60+ years ago. We should ban driving - or at least mandate a 3 hour annual re-assessment of fitness + compulsory further training.

Alcohol should not be banned - folk should take responsibility for their own choices.

Airlines should deny boarding to those who disrupt before the flight. Those disruptive in flight should suffer the same sanction as an over the limit motorist - flying ban for 1-3 years.

Behaviours would radically improve if the consequences were both clear and routinely applied.
 Flying drunks - Fullchat
"Behaviours would radically improve if the consequences were both clear and routinely applied."

Isn't that the truth. Instead of continuing to show greater tolerance and pandering to the offenders.

If you people watch at airports the offenders generally of a certain demographic. Stereotyping is not difficult.
 Flying drunks - Bromptonaut
>> The airline was RYR...I’ve flown with them lots of times, and my personal view is
>> that their passengers on the ‘BeniBus’ are far worse than those of Jet2.

I've never flown with RYR; I consciously avoid them.

Jet2 have strong policies on disruptive behaviour clearly enunciated over the PA prior to departure. They've also diverted flights to evict unruly passengers, banned the individuals for life and charged them the cost of the aircraft's sojourn in Bordeaux or wherever.

They've also let the media know so that it's reported in the Sun etc.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 3 May 24 at 17:54
Latest Forum Posts