Non-motoring > Portsmouth accommodation Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 17

Portsmouth accommodation - legacylad
Arriving mid October, 18:30 ish, from Bilbao. I passed through last October en route north staying in a Travelodge. OK if they’re cheap enough…this year it’s £84 room only ! Stuff that.

Has anyone a recommendation for a pub with B & B and decent food, somewhere along the A34 en route to the M1 or M6 …happy to drive 15 miles or so but a few decent pints and hearty breakfast would be nice.

I don’t know the area at all.
Thanks
 Portsmouth accommodation - Bromptonaut
Prefer Premier Inn to Travelodge; better rooms and more chance of decent eats.

Using the website we select where we want ideally and then order by price. Usually that finds something at a sensible price albeit with a deviation of a mile or ten off route.

Oddly, for Fri 31/5 on our way to Uig for the Harris ferry on Saturday, the cheapest near Stirling was Stirling - £45.

I'd expected that to be £100+ but Falkirk or somewhere to be reasonable.

A week later coming home there's next to nothing under £100.
 Portsmouth accommodation - zippy
>>Premier Inn

Yes they are better but they are getting expensive.

I was in Banbury a few weeks back and they wanted £170 a night!
 Portsmouth accommodation - Bromptonaut
>> I was in Banbury a few weeks back and they wanted £170 a night!

We paid a small fortune at the Travelodge in Fort William last year after being messed around by Cal Mac having to re-deploy vessels.

Room didn't even have a tooth mug.
I am finding Holiday Inn Expresses a reasonably priced alternative and they give you a free (okish quality) breakfast - sausage, scrambled eggs and bacon, croissants etc.

Quality varies - some are definitely better than others. Evening menus are disappointing - always plan to eat out or order a take-a-way.
>> >>Premier Inn
>>
>> Yes they are better but they are getting expensive.

Agreed. Cheapest Premier Inn on the date I want is £70 plus £6 for 24 hours parking…that’s Southampton airport, so off route. Plus breakfast.
Not cheap when travelling solo…I’ll try to find some Camra pubs en route with B & B.
 Portsmouth accommodation - CGNorwich
A minimum of £100 per night is now about the going room rate for reasonable accommodation.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 5 May 24 at 17:57
>> A minimum of £100 per night is now about the going room rate for reasonable
>> accommodation.
>>

From recent experience, that's on the optimistic side!

I remember when Travel Inns were almost always £29.95 a night and £39.95 in City Centre locations early '00s.

What's that with inflation - £50 or £60?
 Portsmouth accommodation - martin aston
I would say Southampton Airport is pretty much on route to the A34 if you are going M27/M3/A34. But I assume it’s not walkable to pubs

A slight dog-leg is Petersfield (25 mins from Portsmouth up the dual A3). It has a Premier Inn that’s advertised as being walking distance to Petersfield town centre with rooms in mid £60’s for October. I do the trip from Portsmouth to the A34 a lot and usually take the A3 to Petersfield then A272 towards Winchester to pick up the A34 there. It’s nearly as quick (or quicker) as the obvious route of my first para but much prettier and less congested.
 Portsmouth accommodation - Terry
Premier inn (and I assume other similar) hotels have clearly adopted demand related pricing having learned from the airlines.

South Mimms (north London) on 25th May = £148. A week later on 1st June £45.

We have no choice but the higher cost on 25/5 due to family commitments. Other local hotels similar or more. Reason for high price - probably bank holiday and FA Cup final.

Can't blame PI - at £45 a night they would struggle to make any profit - typical mid week rate (mainly for business users) is ~£100.

>> I would say Southampton Airport is pretty much on route to the A34 if you
>> are going M27/M3/A34. But I assume it’s not walkable to pubs
>>
Thank you. Pub isn’t that important…I’ll be making up for my abstinence soon enough.
I’ll check out Petersfield on Booking.com…cursory glance showed an excellent B & B in East Meon ( never heard of the place).
 Portsmouth accommodation - Zero
I think there is still a mission in Portsmouth, but you might wake up in a bed full of seamen
Very tempting Z but I have a dislike of tattoos. And threes.

I’ve used Booking.com to find a hotel 30 minutes up the road and out in the sticks. I paid a little extra for free cancellation, but good reviews, £46 + breakfast.

Winchester is a 20 minute drive west so if the weather is favourable I’ll stop off for a look round the place.

>> Winchester is a 20 minute drive west so if the weather is favourable I’ll stop
>> off for a look round the place.

Dont bother, not worth the diversion.
Winchester cathedral is surely worth a few hours of anyone’s time.
>> Winchester cathedral is surely worth a few hours of anyone’s time.

Hours? dont thnk so.
I guess it depends on whether you have any sense of history or appreciation of architecture.

Portsmouth accommodation - smokie
Fnarr fnarr
Latest Forum Posts