Technical Car/Motor Issues > BMW 3-Series E46 - 03 3.0 Flat Battery - Recharge or Replace
Thread Author: Marc4Six Replies: 17

BMW 3-Series E46 - 03 3.0 Flat Battery - Recharge or Replace - Marc4Six
Washed the car this morning, when trying to start it immediately afterwards I got no engine turn over just a clicking sound.

It would seem I have a flat battery, as far as I know this is the original battery, so 9 years old, certainly over 5 years old as I have owned the car that long.

Now is it worth trying to charge this one up or should I just replace it considering its age?
 BMW 3-Series E46 - 03 3.0 Flat Battery - Recharge or Replace - R.P.
Is the car's system charging the existing one effectively ? You may need to diagnose that before splashing out on a new battery. If memory serves me right there's a dashboard cheat that lets you check the Alternator output on the E46. If you have a charger may be worth giving it a jolt. Can't remember whether you can check the battery's condition on these to see if it will take a charge. (
 BMW 3-Series E46 - 03 3.0 Flat Battery - Recharge or Replace - bathtub tom
Always worth a go at re-charging.

If it's not exhibited any symptoms of a failing battery, it may be a bad connection. I'd certainly take a close look at battery terminals, earth and other connections before buying a new one.
 BMW 3-Series E46 - 03 3.0 Flat Battery - Recharge or Replace - Clk Sec
I'm no technician, but I replace batteries after five years regardless of how well (or not) they're performing.
 BMW 3-Series E46 - 03 3.0 Flat Battery - Recharge or Replace - Zero
Wow! That's just destroyed the second hand market for Priuses
Oh dear! I best Leaf electric cars of my shortlist, then.
 BMW 3-Series E46 - 03 3.0 Flat Battery - Recharge or Replace - Runfer D'Hills
My Mondeo, ( can't remember, did I ever mention how reliable my old Mondeo was? ) lasted 9 years and 200k with the original battery which seemed to be fine when I sold it. Original exhaust, clutch and DMF thingy too.
>> did I ever mention how reliable my old Mondeo was?

You may have mentioned the Mondeo once or twice, but I can't recall much from you regarding your most recent acquisition.
My car has only done 80k miles, but the last 18 months has seen my commute drop from 8 miles to only 2-3 miles each way and my overall mileage drop too.

Its probably all those short journeys that have killed the battery. Have just had it tested and it was holding 41% of full charge and was unserviceable according to the readout, I have therefore replaced it and hope to get 9 years out of the new one.
 BMW 3-Series E46 - 03 3.0 Flat Battery - Recharge or Replace - NortonES2
Not that they rely on lead-acid batteries for the hybrid bit!
 BMW 3-Series E46 - 03 3.0 Flat Battery - Recharge or Replace - madf
>> I'm no technician, but I replace batteries after five years regardless of how well (or
>> not) they're performing.
>>

Hmm

No thanks.

My 9 year old battery in my Yaris works perfectly. My son's 11 year old one (in another Yaris ) is the same..
 BMW 3-Series E46 - 03 3.0 Flat Battery - Recharge or Replace - bathtub tom
>>My 9 year old battery in my Yaris works perfectly. My son's 11 year old one (in another Yaris ) is the same..

The battery in my KIA has a label on it "recharge if not sold before xx/2001".
>> Hmm
>> No thanks.
>> My 9 year old battery in my Yaris works perfectly. My son's 11 year old
>> one (in another Yaris ) is the same..

As my annual mileage is low and my journeys are mostly local, my battery needs to be charged quite frequently. This is the reason I change mine every five years, as frequently charged batteries, in my experience, don't last very long.

And, remembering that a previous barge (many moons ago) broke down at the lights on a busy junction, because the battery died!

BMW 3-Series E46 - 03 3.0 Flat Battery - Recharge or Replace - L'escargot
>> I'm no technician, but I replace batteries after five years regardless of how well (or
>> not) they're performing.
>>

I have my battery replaced at the first sign of trouble. My last one lasted eight years ~ my franchised dealer brought the new battery to my house for no extra cost and fitted it in my garage. Franchised dealers are great.
Thanks for the tip R.P. have just looked up the procedure on the net and tested it, all seems fine on the alternator output.
 BMW 3-Series E46 - 03 3.0 Flat Battery - Recharge or Replace - carmalade
Hope you replaced it with a similar spec and quality.The electrical systems on these can take around 45 minutes to shut down after locking car.Btw a battery pack for a Honda hybrid will set you back around £2.5k!!!
I replaced it with a Bosch with a 5 year guarantee which will hopefully last the 5 years.
 BMW 3-Series E46 - 03 3.0 Flat Battery - Recharge or Replace - R.P.
Just found the hidden menus on my E90...! :-)
Latest Forum Posts