Technical Car/Motor Issues > Mitsubishi Carisma - 02 1.6 Key stuck in ignition barrel
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 5

Mitsubishi Carisma - 02 1.6 Key stuck in ignition barrel - nice but dim
HELP! Over the last few days its been increasingly harder to get the key out of the ignition. Today it wont come out (well its has now after much wiggling) but I'm worried it wont come out at all after. It's not coming back the OFF position, stuck in ACC. The spare key is same and tried WD40 and brute force.

Any ideas what is involved please. I assume a replacement key and barrel will need coding £££'s just before xmas great! Any help will be fab, I need to get it sorted before Xmas.
 Mitsubishi Carisma - 02 1.6 Key stuck in ignition barrel - VxFan
As the spare key also sticks, the fault sounds like it points to the barrel and not the keys (unless both keys are worn or otherwise damaged, eg bent).

If it were me, I'd get is sorted ASAP, before you can't remove the key at all - reason being you need the key to be able to remove the barrel for refurbishment or replacement.

Not sure if the same applies to the Mitsubishi, but have a look at the following HOW2 for a Vauxhall Omega, and see if your lock design is similar in being able to remove the cylinder lock.

oldsite.omegaowners.com//forum/YaBB.pl?num=1225657771

Providing both keys are ok, then you might just need a replacement lock barrel if you can't refurbish as per the info above. Not as expensive as you might think, and no need for recoding the immobilser, etc.

Thanks dave, took the surround off and had a look but nothing will come out. More than likely make it worse and that means more expensive to fix. I'm going to call an Auto Locksmith.
 Mitsubishi Carisma - 02 1.6 Key stuck in ignition barrel - Haywain
I re-read this post and remembered that it is exactly what happened with my wife's old ('95) Fiesta. The key gradually became more and more difficult to remove from the lock, and I too found that WD40 couldn't help.

I checked the records; it happened at 78,795 miles and, in November 2002, the cost of replacing the barrel was £72.70 ……….. I was surprised to see that it cost as much as that 11 years ago!
 Mitsubishi Carisma - 02 1.6 Key stuck in ignition barrel - Victorbox
Try some graphite grease smeared on key and worked in and out of lock may give some more time or even fix the sticky tumblers in the lock or use this stuff which is same sort of thing: tinyurl.com/p27n4j4
Glad to report all sorted, local auto locksmith came out and dismantled lock as per VXFan's post and cleaned up, lubricated and placed back in. No problem with key but had a spare made up. Cost £60 in all, very happy with that. Thanks for all replies.
Latest Forum Posts