Technical Car/Motor Issues > Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 99 1.6 Exhaust problem Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 5

Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 99 1.6 Exhaust problem - Robin O'Reliant
My exhaust has a hole in the back box and from the noise when I tap it the inner skin and baffles appear to have collapsed. Shoving a stick up the pipe and stirring it round it sounds like a bucket of nails. Would this be the cause of the popping back and slightly rough running?

it's due in for replacement on Wednesday along with the MoT, it's perfectly driveable though slightly irritating. Temperature reading as normal. Safe to continue using without secondary damage?
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 99 1.6 Exhaust problem - carmalade
A hole in the exhaust system will make the engine "sound" rough but will not make it run rough.There could be other issues with the engine/fuel management system.Can't see this causing any major damage unless the problem becomes more noticeable or the car becomes undriveable.
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 99 1.6 Exhaust problem - Robin O'Reliant
What about the collapsed inner box and baffles restricting the gases and causing back pressure?
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 99 1.6 Exhaust problem - VxFan
>> What about the collapsed inner box and baffles restricting the gases and causing back pressure?

Shouldn't be a problem if as you say the back box is holed. Any gases will escape through that route instead. And yes, the popping is caused by the hole as well. Air is getting in where it shouldn't be.
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 99 1.6 Exhaust problem - carmalade
A sound exhaust system will create a small amount of back pressure.Too much and the engine becomes strangled to create poor performance or in extreme cases,cause the engine not to run at all.This can be checked with an exhaust back pressure tester that screws into the lambda sensor mounting hole.

toolstoday.co.uk/product/101897/sealey-catalytic-converter-back-pressure-test-kit?gclid=CKv5zbLM474CFWTlwgodlmgAzw
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 99 1.6 Exhaust problem - bathtub tom
I had a silencer collapse internally.

Symptoms were: would no longer freely rev to 7K and above and a smooth pfoof sound from the tailpipe instead of a steady thrum at tick-over.

I took it off and 'fished out' the contents.
Latest Forum Posts