Technical Car/Motor Issues > Ford Focus - 02 1.6 Topping up brake fluid... Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Haywain Replies: 15

Ford Focus - 02 1.6 Topping up brake fluid... - Haywain
This morning, we noticed that, while cornering in the Focus, the brake warning light briefly illuminated and on checking the brake fluid reservoir, the level was approaching the lower limit. For the first time in my life, I have to top-up the brake fluid - but I am slightly concerned about obtaining fluid with the correct specification.

The handbook says "Use Motorcraft Brake Fluid Super Dot 4 or brake fluid meeting he specification ESD-M6C 57-A. Meanwhile, Eurocarparts advertise their Pagid Dot4 brake fluid as meeting FMVSS 116 DOT 4 - SAE 1703 - ISO 4925.

Can any of you chaps advise me, please, are these the same thing?

I automatically assume that we will have to keep our eyes on the fluid level to monitor any loss from from the system.

Thanks as usual, H
 Ford Focus - 02 1.6 Topping up brake fluid... - swiss tony
specification ESD-M6C 57-A. is the Ford specification.

FMVSS 116 DOT 4 - SAE 1703 - ISO 4925. are general specifications.

DOT4 is the most important spec to match...

FMVSS = Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards

SAE = Society of Automotive Engineers

ISO = International Organization for Standardization
Last edited by: swiss tony on Sun 18 Jan 15 at 12:51
 Ford Focus - 02 1.6 Topping up brake fluid... - Dave
Brake pads getting low and need changing?
 Ford Focus - 02 1.6 Topping up brake fluid... - Bromptonaut
As H identifies he needs to be aware of possibility of a leak. Might be worth having the wheels off and checking cylinders and checking the pipe runs. If issue is pad wear then replacement provides opportunity to examine the works.
 Ford Focus - 02 1.6 Topping up brake fluid... - Zero
>> As H identifies he needs to be aware of possibility of a leak.

On most systems the wear limit of all 4 pads is about the displacement of High to Low on the master cylinder.
Dot 4 is Dot 4 and all you need to worry about is putting in Dot 4.

Fluid is low because the pads are probably nearing life end.

Edit, might be inclined to change the fluid in the system, I guess its been a while
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 18 Jan 15 at 13:02
 Ford Focus - 02 1.6 Topping up brake fluid... - Bromptonaut
>> Edit, might be inclined to change the fluid in the system, I guess its been
>> a while

Recommendation is every two years. Newer Berlingo's was done at last service, 25k/19months. Could probably have waited until next time but brakes are pretty important.
 Ford Focus - 02 1.6 Topping up brake fluid... - Victorbox
If the pads need changing probably best to do this before topping up otherwise this gives the garage a good excuse to drench your engine bay in brake fluid when they push the brake pistons back to fit new pads without siphoning off some fluid from the reservoir!
 Ford Focus - 02 1.6 Topping up brake fluid... - Robin O'Reliant
I've never changed the brake fluid in my life.

Am I bad?
 Ford Focus - 02 1.6 Topping up brake fluid... - VxFan
>> Am I bad?

Yes. At the very least your due a brake down.
 Ford Focus - 02 1.6 Topping up brake fluid... - swiss tony
>> If the pads need changing probably best to do this before topping up otherwise this gives the garage a good excuse to drench your engine bay in brake fluid when they push the brake pistons back to fit new pads without siphoning off some fluid from the reservoir!
>>

That's not done these days, (or shouldn't be!)
The bleed nipple is opened before pushing the pistons back, as damage can be caused to the ABS units, if fluid is forced backwards.
Many thanks for the comments.

I've checked through old receipts etc and, whilst the brake fluid was changed in Sept 2012, I couldn't find anything to say that money had been spent on pads/discs in recent years. I'll get it booked into my local, reliable indie.

In the meantime (based on Vb's comment), I'll add a small amount of fluid - just enough to stop the warning light coming on and distracting the missus ;-)
The Focus is in at my favourite local indie at the moment and I've just received a call to say that the problem with the fluid level is a leak from the clutch master cylinder. I must admit, I didn't know that the clutch and brakes were, in any way, related.
 Ford Focus - 02 1.6 Topping up brake fluid... - VxFan
>> I must admit, I didn't know that the clutch and brakes were, in any way, related.

Lots of cars these days share the same reservoir for the clutch and brake system.
yup - the lancer does.
Focus is now back home recuperating before my wife takes it for a cross-country thrash to work tomorrow.

The cost was £197.40 - i.e. parts (Clutch master cylinder + dot4 fluid) £93.25; labour £71.25 +vat.
Latest Forum Posts