Technical Car/Motor Issues > Nissan Micra - 01 1.0 CV Joints and rubber boots Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Dulwich Estate Replies: 5

Nissan Micra - 01 1.0 CV Joints and rubber boots - Dulwich Estate
Daughter staying for the week-end says her car makes a clicking noise when she turns a corner. Intrepid dad confirms this with a test drive and suspects a dodgy CV joint. I took a look and the rubber is completely sheared through revealing the shiny joint.

It's only just started making the noise so I guess leaving it for 10 days until we have time to take it to be fixed won't be crucial.

Obviously we need a new rubber boot. The clicking sound suggests the joint has had it too.

Should we get only one side done or is it worth getting both done at the same time. I'm not getting my hands dirty so it's an independent garage - any idea how much please?
 Nissan Micra - 01 1.0 CV Joints and rubber boots - Number_Cruncher
I would renew the joint where the boot has failed, obviously renewing the boot as well. If the other side shows any sign of damage to its boot, cracking of the rubber, etc., then, I would just renew the boot on the other side.
 Nissan Micra - 01 1.0 CV Joints and rubber boots - -
Get it done pronto Dulwich, open to the elements and empty of grease it will wear very quickly if it's not already too far gone, and shiny joint sounds ominous.

If the other is showing no signs of perishing or other wear it could be left, but it wouldn't hurt to peel the boot back and slop some CV joint grease in there whilst they are about it.

Haven't a clue on price, always fixed my own on my rare forays into the joys or otherwise of FWD..;)

Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 11 Jul 10 at 22:27
 Nissan Micra - 01 1.0 CV Joints and rubber boots - Bellboy
its quite a quick easy job to renew the boots on this model i did two a few weeks back
however the cv ends dont come off easy,they are supposed to according to the fact the ends are available but i had to admit defeat with mine so factor this into the price
they come out of the gearbox nice and easy though to attack them on the workbench
there are two sizes of joint depending on engine cc so make sure if you get the bits yourself you choose wisely
nice job filling the gearbox back up via the speedo drive, at least on mine i could use the autobox dipstick tube with a cut down ep oil filler bottle
 Nissan Micra - 01 1.0 CV Joints and rubber boots - Dulwich Estate
The local independent chap wants £130 to do the one dodgy one. We'll let him do it.
 Nissan Micra - 01 1.0 CV Joints and rubber boots - UPDATE - Dulwich Estate
Job done by the independent - £135 all in. We're happy enough with that.
Latest Forum Posts