Technical Car/Motor Issues > Austin - 00 1275 Cooper Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 17

Austin (Rover) Mini - 00 1275 Cooper - No FM2R
A wiring question;

All the wires for the rear lights and accessories run along the floor inside the car.

I believe that in the exhaust "tunnel" is the main battery to starter motor lead. Is that correct?

Are there any other leads in that tunnel?
 Austin (Rover) Mini - 00 1275 Cooper - R.P.
That was my memory as well (we had two in the family). I have a Haynes (I think) I can scan and e-mail if I can find it.
I'd be grateful.
 Austin (Rover) Mini - 00 1275 Cooper - R.P.
It's gone. I have the Cavalier one...
Thanks for looking.
Perhaps if i ask the other way around...

I know where the light and accessory wiring is, under the carpet inside.

I know where the battery / starter motor leads is, in the exhaust tunnel.

Does anybody know were the charging leads from the alternator run to get to the battery?

Can anybody think of any other wires that might run front to back of a mini?

You'd think I could check the car, but a whole bunch of wires have simply been cut out, and others have been replaced with wires without matching the colour scheme..
 Austin (Rover) Mini - 00 1275 Cooper - tyrednemotional
www.minimania.com/Mini___Cooper_Wiring_Diagrams_On_Line

www.renegademinis.com/wp-content/library/Mini_Workshop_Manual.pdf

....might help

Thank you. However, those are both for older minis, the 2000 is a MK7, although in truth I'm not sure what difference that makes.

The workshop manual doesn't help me know where the wires run although it will be generally useful, so thanks for that.

The wiring diagram leaves me in a fog, as they always have if I'm honest. An I cannot trace what wires should be ending up at the battery to charge it, nor from whence they would have come.
...this set of wiring diagrams, which appear to be just about contemporaneous with the workshop manual, might be considerably closer.

www.cantyminiclub.com/tech/electrical_cdxn990e.pdf

...though if, as you say, you have difficulty interpreting them, they may ask more questions than they answer. ;-)
Oh now that is spot on. Thank you so much. The charging & starting circuit diagram is exactly what I needed.

Really grateful.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 19 Dec 15 at 19:04
...maybe not spot-on, but with luck it should be close.
Well, looking at the car right now I can immediately see what I need to do; which is the main power lead battery to starter. the alternator to starter, and the starter to MEMS relay, so its good enough for me.

I didn't realise that the starter motor connection was used as a junction. Its all a bit clearer now.

I've just got this mini and I love it. I had forgotten just how much I love them, even if they are basically awful cars.

Gonna be hacking around the Andes by this time tomorrow, or maybe next Saturday. Photos will be provided.
...my first car was a Mini 1000. Loved it to bits (almost literally!)
I had several mid 60s minis. i used the philosophy of mix n match to keep at least one on the road at a time, and that included the number plates and tax discs.

They were great fun. I paid for a considerable amount of my college drinking by maintaining them on the cheap for other students.
Goddamit.

Unbolted a bunch of stuff, balanced the nuts and washers on top of bits of the engine as you do, and we have a goddamn earthquake.

Now on my hands and knees trying to find the blasted things.
 Austin (Rover) Mini - 00 1275 Cooper - Zero

>> Now on my hands and knees trying to find the blasted things.

No Gonna be hacking around the Andes by this time tomorrow then.
...better than being on your knees trying to find your hands......

....good luck!
 Austin (Rover) Mini - 00 1275 Cooper - carmalade
I think you will find that the alternator wires connect onto the main battery lead at the starter connector.The only cable under the floor is the main battery to starter lead.
Latest Forum Posts