Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Golf IV - 02 1.9 GT TDI PD 130 clutch slip, how long left?
Thread Author: DP Replies: 11

Volkswagen Golf IV - 02 1.9 GT TDI PD 130 clutch slip, how long left? - DP
On the A3 today, 70 ish mph, car well laden with 4 people and a load of stuff in the boot. Pulled out to overtake a car on a hill, and squeezed it on a bit. Heart leapt into mouth as the revs went from 2000 to 2500 and the speedo stayed put. An unmistakable case of Clutch slip.

I deliberately recreated the same scenario on the trip home, and it behaved perfectly. Car has done 104k on what we believe to be the original clutch. Before today there had been no signs of clutch issues. Mid pedal bite point, and the clutch action is smooth and progressive.

I've been driving long enough to know things like this don't fix themselves, but equally have never had a clutch slip and then not be able to make it happen again. I've also always had clutches slip after miles of biting right at the top of the pedal. This doesn't.

Any ideas?

Cheers
DP
Last edited by: DP on Sun 25 Jul 10 at 19:14
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 02 1.9 GT TDI PD 130 clutch slip, how long left? - Iffy
Does it have a dual mass flywheel?

A temporary malfunction of that could cause something similar.

Trying to provoke it to happen again might not be the best idea.

But if you want to, try changing to third gear when you should be changing to second and floor the throttle.

Last edited by: ifithelps on Sun 25 Jul 10 at 19:52
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 02 1.9 GT TDI PD 130 clutch slip, how long left? - Zero
Is it hydraulic or cable?

If cable its self adjusting and is always in the middle for bite even when the plat is the tickness of tin foil.

sounds like possible first stages of contamination, tho you may have glazed the plate earlier (possible with a big load) and a few changes later its worn it off again. I did exactly that once, and it was fine for 50k afterwards.

Last edited by: Zero on Sun 25 Jul 10 at 19:53
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 02 1.9 GT TDI PD 130 clutch slip, how long left? - Runfer D'Hills
You seem to have suddenly become a bit Irish Zero. Been on the Guiness ?

:-)
huh?
...huh?...

Zero,

You posted 'tickness' - the Oirish are known to ignore the 'h' after a 't'.

Not saying that makes them thick, mind, or should that be 'tick'?
ah bejasis. Feck.
...Feck...

Yes, the Irish are known to mix up their vowels after a consonant as well.

You obviously meant 'fick'.

Volkswagen Golf IV - 02 1.9 GT TDI PD 130 clutch slip, how long left? - bathtub tom
Definition of feckless:

A failed Irish Lothario!

ISIHAC (fill in your own date).
Thanks all. I will monitor it and see how it goes.

I wouldn't normally entertain the idea of provoking clutch slip, but it was just to see if I could repeat what happened before. Hopefully it was a bit of glazing, which has now gone.

To answer the earlier question yes, unfortunately it does have a DMF. :-(

Did it again today on two separate occasions. Looks like a new clutch is on the horizon :-(

Volkswagen Golf IV - 02 1.9 GT TDI PD 130 clutch slip, how long left? - Collos
Sooner than later to save on any damage done before the unit disintergrates.When they start slipping through wear and not oil leak the rivits from the plate start to dig into the flywheel scoring it beyond use.
Latest Forum Posts