Technical Car/Motor Issues > Honda Jazz/Fit - 02 1.4 Play Misty for me! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 15

Honda Jazz/Fit - 02 1.4 Play Misty for me! - Roger.
I've already posted this in the Club Jazz forum, but a repeat here won't hurt!

Whenever I turn off the air-con in my GD Jazz, I immediately get severe misting up to all windows.
To me this indicates a build up of water in the plenum chamber [where outside air enters the ventilation system ;-) ].
This is usually caused by blocked up drain holes in the chamber, or blockages in the drain tubes.
I cannot see anywhere obvious where such tubes exit the chamber, which would if found, at least give me a chance to make sure the drain tubes are clear.
Has anyone any first-hand experience in this area?
 Honda Jazz/Fit - 02 1.4 Play Misty for me! - bathtub tom
I've noticed a tendency for the windows in my cars to be more prone to condensation immediately after turning off the air con.

I put it down to a couple of things:

1. The windows are likely to be cooler than the ambient temperature and therefore more likely to condense water.

2. There will be some condensate around the condenser of the air con and this will add to the humidity of the incoming air which combined with 1. above could cause the problem.

I don't worry about it as whenever I park up for a short while when I've had the air con running I usually see a patch of water under the car which indicates the drains are free.
I should have been more clear.
If I leave the heating on and the blower fan running, but TURN OFF the air-con element of the system, so there is just the basic heating of incoming air: that misting happens.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - 02 1.4 Play Misty for me! - VxFan
Air con is designed for all year round use, not just summer. It makes for an excellent demister too when used in conjunction with the heater, so just leave it on and no more misted windows.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 6 Dec 16 at 01:09
 Honda Jazz/Fit - 02 1.4 Play Misty for me! - Dog
>>so just leave it on and no more misted windows.

Wasteful - yoos don't get owt for nowt. My aircon is orf 99% of the time, come winter or summa.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - 02 1.4 Play Misty for me! - VxFan
>> Wasteful

Contrary to belief, AC systems in modern cars use very little power, if any. Given the choice between a comfortable environment or misted windows, I know which one I'd choose.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 6 Dec 16 at 10:25
 Honda Jazz/Fit - 02 1.4 Play Misty for me! - Dog
>> AC systems in modern cars use very little power

Modern cars, ah well, that explains it then, my unmodern car is 10 years old, almost.

>>Given the choice between a comfortable environment or misted windows, I know which one I'd choose.

I use the air con when my windows play get misty for me ~ simples ... different climate down 'ere.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - 02 1.4 Play Misty for me! - Clk Sec
The air conditioning in my old barge is never switched off, has never been serviced or needed any repairs, and *seems to work as well now as it did nearly a decade and a half ago.

(*seems). To save Zero responding!

Pollen filter - clean.
Plenum chamber - draining.
A suggestion on Club Jazz forum postulates an air-con re-gas may be needed, as if it's only just working, its heat exchanger can freeze up, releasing its moisture if the drive to it is stopped.
Worth a check.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - 02 1.4 Play Misty for me! - sooty123
Was the pollen filter bone dry? A damp one can often cause problems.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - 02 1.4 Play Misty for me! - carmalade
The heat exchanger/evaporator can't freeze up if there is inadequate gas in the system.Also,a frozen evap would be accompanied by a lack of airflow through the air vents.If the gas charge is low,then the evap will not reach its desired temp and air will not be adequately cooled.This could cause excessive moisture to accumulate.I would also check the evap drain tube,to make sure there is no blockage of condensate escape.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - 02 1.4 Play Misty for me! - Old Navy
The plenum at the base of the windscreen drains inside the front wings, tip some water on the windscreen to check the drains are clear, it should reappear at the front end of the door sills. The evaporator drain is under the car beneath the heater / air con unit behind the dashboard, it could get blocked by road dirt but is unlikely.
On a quick shopping trip today, I tried the effect of driving with the with air-con off, but the heater full on and fan at #2 setting.
Barely any misting, which was pretty well gone by the time I got back home.
A re-gas booked for tomorrow.
We shall see.
>> The plenum at the base of the windscreen drains inside the front wings, tip some
>> water on the windscreen to check the drains are clear, it should reappear at the
>> front end of the door sills.

That's what I did and both sides drained OK.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - 02 1.4 Play Misty for me! - Stroudie
Have you got the heater control set to recirculate air?
If you have this may be the cause of misting up, whether or not you have A/C on or off.
I suggest you check this and set it to admit air-the button has a little symbol with an arrow coming from outside the car, and see what happens.
Recirculate has a little arrow making a circle inside the car.
I had one Jazz for 7 years, and the latest for 5, and neither misted up or needed A/C regassing.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - 02 1.4 Play Misty for me! - pete4344
I have a 1 year old Jazz - the latest model - and need the aircon on more or less permanently to prevent misting, even when not set to recirculate.
Latest Forum Posts