Technical Car/Motor Issues > Mercedes Benz A-Class - 04 1.7 Coolant change problems
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 2

Mercedes Benz A-Class - 04 1.7 Coolant change problems - Bigtee
----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------

Took bottom hose off radiator nothing came out?, Took top hose off and approx a pint or more came out all this with expansion tank cap off.

So is there a drain plug on the radiator or the block somewhere?

Please don't say i need a fangle dangle tool only merc supply to drain the coolant.!!
 Mercedes Benz A-Class - 04 1.7 Coolant change problems - Iffy
...So is there a drain plug on the radiator or the block somewhere?...

If there's a drain plug on the rad, be very wary of using it.

Often it will come away with a bit of the rad housing still stuck to it.

Same can happen to a lesser extent on the block.

The only decent one I've ever seen was on a straight six Jag - a delightful miniature brass tap screwed into the block.
 Mercedes Benz A-Class - 04 1.7 Coolant change problems - Number_Cruncher
Usually MB block drain plugs look like a pipe stub with a hex behind the stub. You can put a length of hose on the pipe stub, and then with a spanner undo the drain plug. The drain plug will be on the underside of the engine a couple of inches below the head gasket.

While you can use other than MB coolant, I wouldn't. It's easy to cause damage, particularly to the plastics in the system.

A listing of MB fluid requirements is here;

bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/bevo-sheets-sort1.html

and the survey sheet for coolant is here;

bevo.mercedes-benz.com/d/d/en/Spec_310_1.pdf

Once you know which coolant is appropriate, you may find that some alternatives to the MB anti freeze are listed.

As I don't know much about A class, I don't know which anti freeze your car needs, although, I *think* this sheet is the right one;

bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/325.0_en.html

Latest Forum Posts