Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen - 16 1.4 Measuring battery condition via Cigarette l Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Oldgit Replies: 4

Volkswagen - 16 1.4 Measuring battery condition via Cigarette l - Oldgit
Have your seen this product sold on Amazon? It plugs into the cigarette lighter socket and gives immediate reading of battery condition with engine not running/or running.

www.amazon.co.uk/Vehicle-Battery-Voltage-Monitor-Checker/dp/B007FW9HFK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I received mine after about 3 weeks wait from China and plugged it into my car yesterday and turned on the ignition and the reading was a low 11.6v which I thought was a bit odd for a new-ish car. On starting the engine of course it rose to nearer 14v. Hmmmm.

Will have to get out my 'proper' AVO meter and check voltage directly across the battery terminals
 Volkswagen - 16 1.4 Measuring battery condition via Cigarette l - devonite
For £1.52 I think it's ideal for a quick checker - early warning device! - may not be 100% accurate but should flag up the need to check more thoroughly as soon as possible.
 Volkswagen - 16 1.4 Measuring battery condition via Cigarette l - Simon
If the battery was really at 11.6v, it would have been way too flat to start the car!
 Volkswagen - 16 1.4 Measuring battery condition via Cigarette l - carmalade
Not very accurate measuring from the fag lighter,but I suppose it looks pretty when lit up.Always best to measure directly at the battery.
 Volkswagen - 16 1.4 Measuring battery condition via Cigarette l - Oldgit
I suspect the veracity of measuring via the Cigarette socket. I put my igital meter across the battery terminals and got 12.3v and rising very slightly.
Latest Forum Posts