Technical Car/Motor Issues > KIA Cee'd - 07 1.6 Alternator or not? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 9

KIA Cee'd - 07 1.6 Alternator or not? - smokie
My daughter recently reported her Cee'd lights were flickering a bit, both dashboard and headlights. So I took it to my friendly mech who measured the current across the battery and it was below 12v so he said alternator.

I found a cheap reworked one (£79) on eBay and it was fitted and worked fine for a week or so but now the same symptoms have arisen. Mech has measured it a 13.4 volts max.

The people are going to swap the unit for me but are dubious that t's the real problem. They said they'll test the new one and the one I return, to assist me rather than make a point. They do sound like they know what they are talking about!

If it's not the alternator what could it be?
 KIA Cee'd - 07 1.6 Alternator or not? - No FM2R
Dodgy earth?

Ignition switch?
 KIA Cee'd - 07 1.6 Alternator or not? - Old Navy
Loose, dirty, or corroded battery terminal connection or earth connection. Maybe the lighting switch, it has to be something common to all the lights.
Hmmm OK thanks. I'm hoping it's not a wild goose chase with the alternator but I fear it might be. Mechanic was muttering about voltage regulator but ehe said that's part of the alternator.
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 24 Apr 17 at 23:15
 KIA Cee'd - 07 1.6 Alternator or not? - carmalade
I would be looking for a charging voltage of around 14.2 volts. If the replacement alternator still gives a low voltage,then you need to look at any volt drops in the system .Alternator to battery positive and also any drop on the neg line from engine/chassis to battery earth post.May also want to check the poly vee drive belt for any evidence of excess wear.These can lose grip and drive to the pulley system.
 KIA Cee'd - 07 1.6 Alternator or not? - Old Navy
Many, many, years ago I had a similar problem on an Morris 1300. A section of the alternator belt had lost its "V" profile and was running on the backing strip. This did not cause an intermittent problem but made the lights pulse their intensity as the alternator slowed or stopped when the damaged section of belt passed the alternator.
The alternator has been swapped again and is now showing 14.2 volts. The mechanic didn't own up to doing anything else and said it was just a faulty one.

Cost me another £40 for his time though... :-(

Thanks for the advice.
 KIA Cee'd - 07 1.6 Alternator or not? - RichardW
It wasn't an own brand one from EuroCarParts was it (RTX) or something. They are, er, not very good.....
No, Al something ISTR (but not alternator!)
Alcoa maybe?
Latest Forum Posts