Technical Car/Motor Issues > Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - 08 1.3 Water ingress to passenger footwell? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Haywain Replies: 11

Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - 08 1.3 Water ingress to passenger footwell? - Haywain
My DiL reported yesterday that the carpet in the passenger footwell of the Yaris was wet. I had a look, and the liquid appeared to be coming from an area below the dashboard.

My first thought was that it might be coming from the heater matrix; however, there was no smell to the liquid and there was no loss of fluid from the coolant reservoir. The car had been in a few days earlier to have its aircon serviced - apparently this hadn't been working for a while. My thoughts now are that the 'water' in the footwell is the result of condensed water from the aircon being prevented from escaping because of a blockage somewhere?

Anyone got any ideas about this? A couple of other clues - the water has been noticed since the aircon was worked on, and there hasn't been sufficient rain during this period to test a bad rain-seal.
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - 08 1.3 Water ingress to passenger footwell? - devonite
"A" pillar/ windscreen washer drain holes blocked?
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - 08 1.3 Water ingress to passenger footwell? - bathtub tom
I think this a fairly common problem on all cars and a reason I clear all detritus from the area around the heater intake whenever I wash the car.
I suggest the Yaris owners club would give you definitive ideas on how to check and clear any drains: www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/forum/49-yaris-club/

Bit late in year to be getting the air-con sorted?
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - 08 1.3 Water ingress to passenger footwell? - VxFan
>> Bit late in year to be getting the air-con sorted?

AC is for all year usage and not just for warm days. How do you think climate control systems work?

AC makes for an excellent demister too, when used in conjunction with the heater.
"AC is for all year usage and not just for warm days. How do you think climate control systems work?"

While checking out the wet floor, I asked DiL if she had been using the aircon since it has been 'serviced' - I'm not sure what was wrong in the first place - except that it wasn't working; the garage she used is a reputable independent set-up. She said 'yes' and that the garage had recommended that she kept it switched on all the while - I'm not sure if that was for a short period after the work had been done, or if that was indefinitely.

I have heard of keeping the aircon switched on because it 'keeps the seals lubricated' (?), though I tended to switch mine off if it wasn't needed as it used more fuel. Maybe aircon systems are more efficient these days?

I imagine that DiL had only recently got round to doing something about the aircon because she's so bloomin' busy.
Some people aren't aware that their AC comes on automatically when setting the blower direction towards the windscreen, or using the auto demist function. The AC light doesn't necessarily come on to give a clue either.

This isn't true of all cars however. RTFM to see if your particular car does this.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 28 Sep 17 at 18:52
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - 08 1.3 Water ingress to passenger footwell? - bathtub tom
>>The AC light doesn't necessarily come on to give a clue either.
>>This isn't true of all cars however. RTFM to see if your particular car does this.

Suspect this isn't true for a Toyota of this age.
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - 08 1.3 Water ingress to passenger footwell? - Clk Sec
>>"A" pillar/ windscreen washer drain holes blocked?

I had exactly that problem with a 2 year old motor way back in the early 90s.
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - 08 1.3 Water ingress to passenger footwell? - No FM2R
>>nd there hasn't been sufficient rain during this period to test a bad rain-seal.

That's what hosepipes are for.
 Toyota Yaris II/Vitz - 08 1.3 Water ingress to passenger footwell? - slowdown avenue
had same problem with 02 yaris, tried everthing but never could find leak. seemed to depend on force of wind and direction
I actually caught up with DiL over Christmas and asked if the water-leak problem had been cured. She was fairly vague, seeing a car as white-goods only, and said that the garage didn't feel that their work on the aircon could have led to the water problem, but they were happy to take a look FoC. They had dug out a few leaves and, ever since, the footwell has remained dry. So, it would appear that, as in other cases reported, the problem was down to leaves trapped in 'that bit' below the windscreen.
>> the problem was down to leaves trapped in 'that bit' below the windscreen.

Yep, a common problem with most cars, an accumulation of leaves blocking the drainage holes of the scuttle area.
Latest Forum Posts