Technical Car/Motor Issues > Honda - 15 CRV - speed limits not always showing on satnav
Thread Author: Mike H Replies: 9

Honda - 15 CRV - speed limits not always showing on satnav - Mike H
OK, not a big problem, but annoying, and one that the dealer can't fix.

First of all, just a reminder that this is an Austrian registered car, because that's where we live :-)

Last year, the car developed bluetooth connectivity problems, so the local dealer, from where we purchased the car, updated the software, which fixed the problem. Before the update, the satnav was working fine and correctly showed the current speed limit wherever I was driving. It even picked up within a couple of days that a new 30kph limit had been introduced in our village outside the school. Since the update, it no longer shows speeds limits in random, but consistent, areas. I can't be sure either, that it's showing correct limits when it does display them, as there are a few places locally where the limits have been changed, and it still shows the old ones. The 2018 software update has been applied, and the maps are up to date. Clearly, I realise it's up to me to be observant and be aware of the speed limits when I'm driving, but this problem is beginning to bug me, particularly as everything was OK before the initial software update.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 31 Jul 18 at 01:57
 Honda - 15 1.6 CRV - speed limits not always showing on sa - bathtub tom
If you paid for an update at a main dealer, take it back and tell them to deal with it, or give you your money back!
 Honda - 15 1.6 CRV - speed limits not always showing on sa - Mike H
No, there was no charge, the car's still under warranty. I'd rather it just worked as nature intended :-) As they don't seem to have any idea why the problem is occurring, I'd like to point them in the direction of a fix.
 Honda - 15 1.6 CRV - speed limits not always showing on sa - Dave_
Are the speed limits stored in the mapping, or read by a camera? Could the camera have a splatted fly on it? Could the speed limit signs be obscured by overgrown foliage? Is the camera being dazzled by sunlight on regular journeys in the same places at the same times of day?
 Honda - 15 1.6 CRV - speed limits not always showing on sa - Mike H
>> Are the speed limits stored in the mapping, or read by a camera? Could the
>> camera have a splatted fly on it? Could the speed limit signs be obscured by
>> overgrown foliage? Is the camera being dazzled by sunlight on regular journeys in the same
>> places at the same times of day?
>>
AFAIK the info comes from the mapping database, our cheapo version doesn't have a camera to read road signs.
 Honda - 15 CRV - speed limits not always showing on satnav - No FM2R
There is the software and there are the databases.

I would guess that in the process of updating the software they screwed up, deleted or amended one or more of those databases or introduced an incompatibility.

If you have the facility to update the maps yourself, try that, even though it has already been done once..
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 31 Jul 18 at 23:10
>> If you have the facility to update the maps yourself, try that, even though it
>> has already been done once..
>>
Done that! I did it as soon as I found that the problem wasn't solved by the latest software update. There was one relatively small file that was updated. All the maps are showing as 2018.
 Honda - 15 CRV - speed limits not always showing on satnav - Bobby
I have had six software updates on my honda connect bluetooth system on my civic and it still doesnt work.

I would not buy another Honda for this reason.
 Honda - 15 CRV - speed limits not always showing on satnav - Falkirk Bairn
>>my honda connect bluetooth system on my civic and it still doesnt work.

It might not work with your phone! Borrow a friend's phone - different make/model from your own & try that.

My CRV and my Blackberry phone had issues initially.

I googled & found the pairing issue & the solution was to switch my phone on only after the blutooth in the car was up & running, then pair.

Sold the Blackberry & bought an Iphone - worked 1st time, couldn't fault the car - it's likely to be as much the phone's fault as the car's fault.
So, the Honda has been in for a service today. After dropping it off at the local dealer, I was given a lift home in a new, top spec CR-V with the 193bhp 1.5 turbo engine complete with CVT transmission and 4WD. The engine was very smooth, and the CVT seamless - unfortunately out of our price range when replacement time comes round next October, but a very nice smooth riding car nonetheless.

But the real reason for this update is that the speed limits were not showing on the satnav on this car either! So it seems to be a Garmin mapping database issue/oddity. The onboard camera did pick up the actual speed limit signs on a separate display.

So not much hope of getting this resolved.
Latest Forum Posts