Technical Car/Motor Issues > Audi A4 B6 - 01 2.0 Do I scrap or repair? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Aretas Replies: 5

Audi A4 B6 - 01 2.0 Do I scrap or repair? - Aretas
My 2002 Audi A4 Avant auto has done 92000 miles. I love it but it now has several, possibly expensive, faults. Some I can live with, some I can’t. I am contemplating scrapping it. What are your views?
1. Oil consumption. During normal driving this is okay. If driven hard it will go from full to needing topping up in 200 miles.
2. Drivers window mechanism is broken, so window has to stay closed.
3. Windscreen washer system leaks
4. Engine management warning light comes on once or twice a year. Several fuel/exhaust sensors have been replaced, but have not cured it. Deleting the error message before it has an MoT means it passes.
5. It is overdue an expensive auto gearbox oil change
6. And possibly the final straw – Something is draining the battery. 1 or 2 amps and also the engine fan switches on then off, then on again when the car is cold and stationary. (I can stop this fan problem by removing its fuse.). The web suggests this item 6 is possibly water on the ECU.
7. Obviously, due to its age, several wear-and-tear but relatively trivial items.

Many thanks
 Audi A4 B6 - 01 2.0 Do I scrap or repair? - Runfer D'Hills
I think it might be time to move on Aretas. It's not done badly to get to 18 years old after all.

What would you like to replace it with if you do decide to call time on it?
 Audi A4 B6 - 01 2.0 Do I scrap or repair? - Bromptonaut
Lots to be said for running cars into the ground and doing a repair even if cost is more than car's value. Spending £800 on a runner, even though you'd only get £400 for it on trade in, is a lot easier on wallet than depreciation on a new/newer replacement.

There comes a time though when a pile up of problems plus age and possible issue with parts availability mean it has to go. I think that's probably where you are.
 Audi A4 B6 - 01 2.0 Do I scrap or repair? - Zero

>> 1. Oil consumption. During normal driving this is okay. If driven hard it will go
>> from full to needing topping up in 200 miles.

Sounds serious unless its a leak, must be expensive on oil, - Drive it till it explodes

>> 2. Drivers window mechanism is broken, so window has to stay closed.

Second hand parts form the breakers,.

>> 3. Windscreen washer system leaks

fix it if you can find it, will be cheap

>> 4. Engine management warning light comes on once or twice a year. Several fuel/exhaust sensors
>> have been replaced, but have not cured it. Deleting the error message before it has
>> an MoT means it passes.

Ignore it carry on as usual

>> 5. It is overdue an expensive auto gearbox oil change

Dont bother, drive it till it goes bang

>> 6. And possibly the final straw – Something is draining the battery. 1 or 2
>> amps and also the engine fan switches on then off, then on again when the
>> car is cold and stationary. (I can stop this fan problem by removing its fuse.).
>> The web suggests this item 6 is possibly water on the ECU.

Wire a switch into the fuse, make it easier to cope with

>> 7. Obviously, due to its age, several wear-and-tear but relatively trivial items.

Ignore them, if tyres, buy cheap.

In short, set yourself an annual maintenance target you think reasonable, if its going to break it, dump it, otherwise drive it till it explodes.
 Audi A4 B6 - 01 2.0 Do I scrap or repair? - Zero
Unless you are bored with it and fancy a newer one, then treat yourself.
 Audi A4 B6 - 01 2.0 Do I scrap or repair? - Dave_
Old Audis are always quick to sell, very popular with workers travelling east to visit family over the holidays.
Latest Forum Posts