Technical Car/Motor Issues > Peugeot 206 hatchback - 00 1.4 clutch pedal clunk?
Thread Author: adamf Replies: 11

Peugeot 206 hatchback - 00 1.4 clutch pedal clunk? - adamf
The car is a 2000 (X) Peugeot 206. When the clutch pedel is pressed right down to the floor it makes a loud clunk and then the same when it returns back up. the gears still engage and disengage fine but i am worried about this clunk. I have tried "googling" the problem but the main thing that comes up is the clutch cable but not really sure if this is the problem?
 Peugeot 206 hatchback - 00 1.4 clutch pedal clunk? - madf
If it's like other Pugs, the cable is adjustable. It sounds as if it NEEDS adjusting..
Your owners manual may have something about it...
 Peugeot 206 hatchback - 00 1.4 clutch pedal clunk? - Injection Doc
I suspect the release bearing is wearing a groove in the clutch cover diaphram spring and the clunck is as the bearing rides in and out the groove in the spring. If you turn the engine off and operate the pedal slowly and smoothly does the cluch creak ? if so i suspect the diaphram spring has a heavy worn groove in it.
 Peugeot 206 hatchback - 00 1.4 clutch pedal clunk? - Fenlander
It is very likely your 206 has a self-adjusting cable as per this ebay listing...

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peugeot-206-2-0-1999-2007MY-Auto-Adjust-Clutch-Cable-/130428430894?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e5e23ea2e

Assuming so you'll see the tube bit at the top of the cable which contains the auto-spring arrangement which can become noisy as you describe.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 4 Oct 10 at 08:15
The car s been into the Garage today and its not the Clutch Cable. The garage have said that its either the clutch or clutch fork - either way it will cost £400 to fix.
That's really bad luck.

Just be aware in the workshop what often happens is they have this opinion, change the clutch, noise still there, realise it was the cable after all and then tell you all sorted and we put you a new cable on while we were at it!

Of course it is possible the clutch itself is faulty but I'm ever suspicious about the expensive option diagnosis!

Edit: Don't exactly remember the setup of your car but other Peugeot/Citroens had a nylon bush at top and bottom of the release fork pivot. I've once had the top one of these bushes drop down and give a noisy clunk as the pivot shaft moved in the oversize hole in the bellhousing left after the bush had gone. I was able to replace the £2 bush with a bit of fiddling.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 7 Oct 10 at 12:16
The garage said that if you look at the top of the gearbox where the clutch arm is (that the clutch cable connects to) when the clutch is pressed, the clutch arm on the top of the box "kicks back" (if that makes sense)
Yep that's what it would do if the £2 bush had fallen down assuming it has that bush arrangement!
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 8 Oct 10 at 08:44
Ok thanks for that, I'll have a look this weekend and see if i can spot anything. Now assuming it has a bush and it has fallen, would it have fallen into the box or just not sitting right?
How simple is it to change myself? is it possible to work from above without removing the box?

Thank you for your help so far.

Adam
Adam remember I'm just saying this is an arrangement found on some Peugeot/Citroens of that era but not 100% sure yours is the same.

Anyway with what I'm thinking of the clutch fork is on a pivot in the bellhousing with a replaceable nylon bush top and bottom of the shaft the fork is on. On top and outside the bellhousing there is a lever on this shaft which is fixed by a heavy driven in pin with spring retainer. This is the lever the cable connects to.

The top bush can break up allowing it to fall into the bellhousing where it sits at the bottom and usually doesn't cause any problems.

Normally this top bush pushes into the bellhousing (before the shaft is fitted) from the top with springy lugs engaging. If the bush has disapeared it is possible to remove the lever and push a bush down from the top. However with the shaft in situ the lugs might not quite push past it. In that situation I've filed them down and put some araldite on the bush to help keep it in.

A *bodge* like this saved a guy the expense of a gearbox out clutch change on a Xantia and it did another 10k+ with no trouble.

If you were able to link to an image of what you see at the top of the bellhousing it would help.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 8 Oct 10 at 14:01
**Update**

It was the clutch in the end. I had it replaced by Mr Clutch at a cost of £200 (which i think is quite resonable)

Car is driving fine now.
 Peugeot 206 hatchback - 00 1.4 clutch pedal clunk? - Injection Doc
Thanks for the update, always nice to have feed back. If the clutch replacement cured it then it will be the ridge in the diaphram cover caused by the release bearing. I used to replace lots of these clutches for that same fault. Its very unpleaseant when the bearing catches in the wear ridge, make sure you don't drive with your foot sitting or hovering over the pedal
Latest Forum Posts