Technical Car/Motor Issues > Hyundai - Hyundai i10 ESC warning light. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Oldgit Replies: 16

Hyundai - Hyundai i10 ESC warning light. - Oldgit
A few months ago my partner sold her little used Hyundai i10 SE petrol manual to my cousin who needed a car that was ULEZ compliant.
The Hyundai had 5,000k on the clock since registered in 2015 and has been garaged and serviced annually by the main dealer.
Since taking over the car, recently she told us that one of the warning lights has come on whilst driving and stays on and this is the ESC light and further investigation by her mechanic friend (who does everything motor-wise for her) says that the computer indicates the car has a faulty Yaw sensor and not to worry about it especially with the type of driving she does.
Following a recent service and positive MOT by this friend/mechanic, he has put a sticky tape disc over the distracting light so as not to worry her and has said that this fault would be several hundred pounds to rectify.
She takes his words on motoring matters as gospel as he's been a mechanic all his life and used to work for major BMW franchises.
Personally, I would not ignore such warning lights and have the car attended to by current professionals and rectified.
Are your views in line with mine or do you agree with the friend?
 Hyundai - Hyundai i10 ESC warning light. - RichardW
It's an MOT fail, so a) it needs fixing and b) he sounds a bit dodgy to me!

7.12. Electronic stability control (ESC)

You must check all vehicles fitted with electronic stability control other than Class 3 vehicles.

Electronic stability control is also referred to as ESC, ESP, VDC, and DSC, among many other names. Some systems may be able to be switched off by a switch, whilst others might only be able to be switched off using an electronic menu system.

The dashboard warning lamp for these systems might take various forms and you should only fail a vehicle if you’re certain that the warning lamp is indicating an ESC malfunction. You might need to check the owner’s handbook.

Defect Category
(a) Wheel speed sensors missing or damaged Major
(b) ESC wiring damaged Major
(c) Other ESC component missing or damaged Major
(d) ESC switch damaged or not functioning correctly Major
(e) ESC MIL indicates a system malfunction Major
 Hyundai - Hyundai i10 ESC warning light. - Zero
With defective ESC other safety systems may not be working, including ABS..
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 14 Dec 23 at 15:04
>> With defective ESC other safety systems may not be working, including ABS..
>>

As I have said originally, it's the Yaw sensor at fault.
 Hyundai - Hyundai i10 ESC warning light. - Zero
And failure of such might switch off the ABS. As I said.
>> It's an MOT fail, so a) it needs fixing and b) he sounds a bit
>> dodgy to me!

Thanks. Well that is interesting and according to my cousin the car passed the MOT and I suppose it's who you know as this fried would have taken it to his regular testing station or garage.
Other than what I have written here, I don't want to interfere in her decisions as to what is going to be done.
 Hyundai - Hyundai i10 ESC warning light. - bathtub tom
>>Following a recent service and positive MOT by this friend/mechanic, he has put a sticky tape >>disc over the distracting light so as not to worry her and has said that this fault would be >>several hundred pounds to rectify.

I believe that may be illegal!

With such a low usage, may I suggest the hub ABS sensors are corroded?
 Hyundai - Hyundai i10 ESC warning light. - Dave_
I haven't seen corroded reluctor rings on anything under about 15 years old.

I'd be taking the yaw rate sensor out and sending it off to an ECU repair company. Unfortunately for the owner this will need addressing before the next MoT.

The only comparable job we've done was an SRS ECU on a 2013 Picanto; the part couldn't be fixed, a new one was north of £300 and it required an hour's labour at Kia to be coded to the car using their dealer-only diagnostic kit - it wasn't something that could be done with a generic garage unit. Total bill was just over £500.

>> I'd be taking the yaw rate sensor out and sending it off to an ECU
>> repair company. Unfortunately for the owner this will need addressing before the next MoT.

Well the current owner's friendly mechanic can seem to get the car passed its MOT by using his favourite garage.
 Hyundai - Hyundai i10 ESC warning light. - VxFan
>> Well the current owner's friendly mechanic can seem to get the car passed its MOT
>> by using his favourite garage.

My sisters ex-boyfriend, who's a self employed mechanic, has a favourite garage too. Hardly any failures occur, unless really serious.
 Hyundai - Hyundai i10 ESC warning light. - carmalade
The yaw rate sensor sits underneath the centre console. Unrelated fault to the abs and reluctor rings . These sensors are usually a sealed component and not easily repaired. S/hand is the way forward .
 Hyundai - Hyundai i10 ESC warning light. - Kevin
First thing to do is get the trouble code read by someone else. The stability control will have inputs from different sensors including wheel speed, steering angle, brake pressure, pedal position and yaw rate etc. If it's a wheel speed sensor it should be a 'C' code which can usually be read by the $5 Bluetooth readers and a free android app like 'Torque'. If it's one of the other sensors it'll need kit costing a few hundred quid to read them. Lots of indy workshops use the Snap-On kit which even knows manufacturer specific codes.
Wheel speed sensors cost peanuts to buy and fit. A used but functional yaw rate sensor for a Hyundai can be bought and fitted quite cheaply and shouldn't need coding. The other sensors shouldn't be too expensive but might cost a few bob for fitting. Could even be a dodgy electrical connection.

Stability Control is a safety feature and winter is not the time to ignore it if it isn't working.
>> First thing to do is get the trouble code read by someone else.

Thanks but I cannot do anything. My cousin is a very independent, painfully so, person and would not take too kindly to my interfering in such matters. I could only hint at certain things gleaned from the expert advice here.
She has recently undergone a serious though successful eye operation at Moorfields and is recovering and won't be able to drive until later in January and so I would not want to upset her.
Obviously, if we still owned the car in would be in the main dealers pronto to get it sorted but thanks all for your advice anyway.
The yaw rate sensor is bolted to the floor under the centre console. It’s nothing related to the wheel speed sensors. If one of these were faulty, then the abs light would be on . Needs to be checked properly. May be a connector issue .
>> The yaw rate sensor is bolted to the floor under the centre console. It’s nothing
>> related to the wheel speed sensors. If one of these were faulty, then the abs
>> light would be on . Needs to be checked properly. May be a connector issue
>> .
>>

Thanks for that. I wonder if the main dealer could quote me for the labour and parts costs for such work on her behalf. Hmmmm.
I’d make sure you’re sitting down prior to the quote . Hyundai parts prices are galactic, more than any other maker I’ve come across. On a car this age , I’d be going second hand parts .
 Hyundai - Hyundai i10 ESC warning light. - Fullchat
Independents have fault code readers and don't charge the earth
My daughters 8 year old Picanto was standing around in the drive while she was away at Uni and it burst a reluctor ring which showed as an ABS fault. Corrosion expands the aluminum ring and bursts it.
Ive found this (link below) in relation to an i30 in Australia and a multitude of suggestions are thrown into the mix. In the end it was a faulty switch on the clutch pedal.
I cant recall if it was brake or clutch., or even how it manifested itself, but I had to effect a repair on a switch by Supergluing a small piece of bicycle tube rubber onto the existing worn rubber and all was good.

i30ownersclub.com/index.php?topic=46404.0
Last edited by: Fullchat on Mon 18 Dec 23 at 10:17
Latest Forum Posts