Technical Car/Motor Issues > Vauxhall Zafira A - 00 1.8 intermittant no sound from radio - any idea Miscellaneous
Thread Author: spamcan61 Replies: 2

Vauxhall Zafira A - 00 1.8 intermittant no sound from radio - any idea - spamcan61
Hello everyone

I've been rattling up and down the hills of sunny Kernow for the last week, all of a sudden no audio from the CDR500 in SWMBO's Zafira. I assumed the radio had just died, but having returned to base and swapped it out for a similar know good one that doesn't work most of the time either. Powers up OK and gives every indication of working other than no sound from any of the 8 speakers.

I've snipped the phone mute line just in case, but otherwise I'm baffled as to what's going on. Worked fine for a while yesterday but no sound again today. OK the loom is 10 years old and maybe there's a wire chafing somewhere, but why would it affect all 4 outputs?

Thanks in advance for any ideas
 Vauxhall Zafira A - 00 1.8 intermittant no sound from radio - any idea - carmalade
It is possible that a speaker line is shorted together or down to earth.This is enough for the radio to shut down and go into protection mode.Favourite wiring problems on these (and many other vauxhall models)is the loom that runs into the rear doors.Worth a look.Also problems with the rear roof mount antenna amp can cause similar faults.hth
 Vauxhall Zafira A - 00 1.8 intermittant no sound from radio - any idea - spamcan61
Thanks carmalade, I have had to repair the loom at the base of the B pillar on both sides before now to keep the electric windows and central locking on the rear doors working, so a short there is a distinct possibility - I'll have a poke about tomorrow. Pity there's no visual indication that it's gone in to protection mode if that's what's happening.
Latest Forum Posts