Technical Car/Motor Issues > Nissan Micra - 00 1.0 K11 - Headlamp fitting
Thread Author: Number_Cruncher Replies: 13

Nissan Micra - 00 1.0 K11 - Headlamp fitting - Number_Cruncher
I have a headlamp to fit to my mother in law's Micra.

At home, with plenty of tools in the garage, this would be no problem. However, I'll be doing the work when we next visit her house in the wilds of Norfolk. So, my question is, what tools will I need to take with me?

I'll be packing my 1/4 drive socket set, a good selection of screwdrivers, and a few smaller spanners - is there anything I'm missing? - will I need to take the bumper off? - are there any odd fittings?

Thanks
 Nissan Micra - 00 1.0 K11 - Headlamp fitting - Manatee
The bodger's friends - mole grips and water pump pliers!
 Nissan Micra - 00 1.0 K11 - Headlamp fitting - Skoda
A bodger's best friend is a hammer, if you're using mole grips and WPPs then you're an engineer :-P
 Nissan Micra - 00 1.0 K11 - Headlamp fitting - Dave_
I would hazard a guess that a 10mm socket and a couple of Philips screwdrivers would constitute a comprehensive headlight change toolkit, Nissans are bolted together in a pretty straightforward manner.
 Nissan Micra - 00 1.0 K11 - Headlamp fitting - madf
A bottle of brandy and a first aid kit plus a crawler to lie on.
 Nissan Micra - 00 1.0 K11 - Headlamp fitting - L'escargot
>> I would hazard a guess that .......... a couple of Philips screwdrivers

In this day and age they're more likely to be Posidriv. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pozidriv
 Nissan Micra - 00 1.0 K11 - Headlamp fitting - VxFan
>> In this day and age

In my experience most things are now screwed down with torx screws and bolts.
 Nissan Micra - 00 1.0 K11 - Headlamp fitting - Mapmaker

>> In my experience most things are now screwed down with torx screws and bolts.

You're lucky. I tend to find that they're yet more fiendishly screwed down, and I have an array of tools for taking irons and other domestic goods to pieces (generally to disable failed, unnecessary electronics).
 Nissan Micra - 00 1.0 K11 - Headlamp fitting - Zero
Maplin do a "remove any type of fastening" kit
 Nissan Micra - 00 1.0 K11 - Headlamp fitting - sherlock47
The most common everyday use of Phillips buglehead screws is for drywall (plasterboard) fixing. Fortunately most large boxes come with a Phillips bit included!
I can't imagine what I was worried about. It's about the easiest headlamp I've ever changed.

Four electrical plugs to disconnect, and three M6 fasteners, one push-in clip to disengage, and the headlamp is out. Access is really good, and there's no need to unclip or remove the bumper.

Tools required; 10mm spanner or socket for the M6 fasteners, flat bladed screwdriver to ease the push-in clip, and 6mm spanner for the headlamp aim adjustment bolts.

Time required; 10 - 15 minutes

Thanks all for your replies!
Last edited by: Number_Cruncher on Fri 9 Apr 10 at 11:27
 Nissan Micra - 00 1.0 K11 - Headlamp fitting - Mapmaker
>>I can't imagine what I was worried about. It's about the easiest headlamp I've ever changed, it only took 3 tools and 15 minutes...

My Subaru it takes about 3 minutes and no tools. Vectra was the same. I dread to think what else you have been changing...

>>I dread to think what else you have been changing...

Nasty French nonsense is the usual worst offender IMO.

SWMBO's Astra isn't particularly easy as there's a fastener you have to go underneath for. However, access is really easy at the moment, as all the front is off - I'm mending some damage "which happened" on the ice this winter!

Nissan Micra - 00 1.0 K11 - Headlamp fitting - DP
Golf mk4 is not much fun either. The two lower screws on each headlight are directly behind the bumper. And yes, the whole lot has to come off.
Latest Forum Posts