Motoring Discussion > Coolant trail. Long time no see. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 5

Coolant trail. Long time no see. - henry k
On my route to Walton on Thames I noticed a long brown rusty trail along the centre line on my side of the carriageway It continued for quite a while and has been there for several weeks.
This is the second such trail I have seen recently but prior to that I thought such evidence of failure had dissapeared.

It was almost certainly very rusty coolant that had " escaped".
( might have been a wreck being towed to ??? )
These sort of coolant problems were very common a few years ago.
I guess a lot of factors have combined to all but eliminate such failures.

I certainly used to have a spare top hose in the boot and a hose bandage kit.
Never used the bandage so no idea if it worked:-(
I can still recall that distinctive smell when a hose sprang a leak.
On my 1600E I even resorted to a kerbside fix by bypassing the heater with a quick rerouting of a hose.

Coolant trail. Long time no see. - Dave_
I was overtaken by a white, express, national coach on the M1 yesterday which appeared to be discharging a fine spray of liquid from behind the back bumper. The first thought that crossed my mind was that someone had flushed the loo(!), but the liquid kept on spraying out and leaving a visible trail on the road surface for another 15 miles after it had disappeared from view ahead. From the way my wipers smeared the specks of liquid that I picked up whilst in range, I'd guess it was diesel being leaked. I didn't see the coach on the hard shoulder at all, so I guess the leak was picked up at a scheduled stop somewhere off the motorway.
 Coolant trail. Long time no see. - Robin O'Reliant
Going back donkey's years now a mate had released the bonnet catch on his Mk2 Cortina just after switching the engine off. As he was walking to the front of the car he heard a loud bang, followed by clouds of steam and water. The top hose had burst, a couple of seconds later and he would have had some serious burn injuries.
 Coolant trail. Long time no see. - bathtub tom
>>I was overtaken by a white, express, national coach on the M1 yesterday which appeared to be discharging a fine spray of liquid from behind the back bumper.

Curious. I followed a coach south on the M1 near J9 on Sunday that was dropping a trail of liquid from its nearside rear. It didn't smear the screen, so I presumed it was water. As I passed, I gave it a toot and SWMBO waved a water bottle at the driver. He nodded and waved back. I guessed it may have been air-con condensate although I wouldn't have thought it was warm enough to be running it.

Anyone here enlighten us?
 Coolant trail. Long time no see. - RattleandSmoke
The last time I saw this was on my Corsa. Still got a video of it some where, spurting out water as if its a waterfall.

I think it is now a rare site because most K series engines are probably in the scrappy :D
 Coolant trail. Long time no see. - Lygonos
>>I guessed it may have been air-con condensate

+1
Latest Forum Posts