Motoring Discussion > Tom Toms hit by leap year bug.... Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 27

Tom Toms hit by leap year bug.... - Zero
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17599701
 Tom Toms hit by leap year bug.... - AnotherJohnH
Does this belong in the loof lirpa thread?
>> Does this belong in the loof lirpa thread?

No - it belongs in the "Tom Toms hit by leap year bug" thread

uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/386/~/no-gps-signal
Yes, I did read that link:

"Since Saturday 31st March a limited number of models have been having an issue getting a GPS position"

I thought the question was worth posing.
 Tom Toms hit by leap year bug.... - Runfer D'Hills
Do people still use those aftermarket sat nav things? Thought they'd have gone the way of stick on heated rear screens? How quaint...

:-))
Only those of us with a pension can afford to.
:-)

Tom Toms hit by leap year bug.... - Old Navy
I repeat my response from the last time you tried that one.

Just hope that when you are a pensioner you can afford new cars, unlimited fuel, and a stick on satnav.:-)

And your reply.

I don't have the option ON. Have to work until I can't and then...

My 720 is OK. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 3 Apr 12 at 17:13
I do have a pension plan actually, well for my wife anyway. Long walk, short pier sort of thing !
Only thing I can think of. In the meanwhile, I'll just carry on teasing at every opportunity.

Tom Toms hit by leap year bug.... - Iffy
...Long walk, short pier sort of thing !...

Needs careful thought, the life insurance won't pay out if the coroner decides your death was suicide.

Oh ok. Better think of something else then. Could try being a gigolo I suppose...Bit of "Grecian 2000" and a corset should do the trick.
>> Oh ok. Better think of something else then. Could try being a gigolo I suppose...Bit
>> of "Grecian 2000" and a corset should do the trick.

really don't think there will be a pension out of that
B&Q it is then. I don't really do orange though.
 Tom Toms hit by leap year bug.... - WillDeBeest
I heard B&Q had placed a massive order for orange Crocs.
any road up, it appears there really is a problem with some Tomtoms:

www.tomtomforums.com/t27663-no-gps-signal.html

as if I could have doubted Z.....

Tom Toms hit by leap year bug.... - Clk Sec
>> as if I could have doubted Z.....

Indeed, he is rarely wrong.
 Tom Toms hit by leap year bug.... - Meldrew
My 825 is OK but I didn't try it before connecting and checking for updates - there was one so perhaps that was the "Fix"? Anyway it is getting signals now.
 Tom Toms hit by leap year bug.... - teabelly
Hope the tomtom one v2s aren't affected.
last post in the tomtomforums link a few posts up suggests it's a "nav3" problem.

Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Tue 3 Apr 12 at 19:54
well it turns out that Nicoles TT - a Start 20, is one of those affected.

So, the sorry tale begins.

We share a main computer each with a user logon. I have TomTom home installed. Of course Nicoles Tomtom wont work with Tom Tom Home, but insists on using MyTomTom. So I install My tomtom, which promply wipes out TomTom home and access to my TT backups - I will try and sort that later.

So off I go to her netbook and install mytomtom there, where it promptly says it wants a user id and password to downlaod the fixes. I try to create an account, but it claims the user email is already in use. Yes it would be that was for the last b loody tomtom that expired prematurely - the one that used the already installed, but now hosed TomTom home.

Ok So I ask for the now forgotten password to be sent by email, for which I am still waiting.

So while I am waiting - I might as well try and fix the program you so kindly bust for me you useless crappy stupid dutch bankers.

Well thats it TomTom you can take your product and shove it up your ass there is NO WAY ON GODS EARTH THAT I WILL EVER GIVE YOU ANY MORE OF MY MONEY. I hope all your pets get run over by stupid drivers and your children get bullied at school.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 5 Apr 12 at 20:28
 Tom Toms hit by leap year bug.... - -
Will this thread be merged with your tip run thread on the other channel, third trip to the recycling centre to hurl the offending junk...;)

i have every sympathy, another example of it weren't broke but we fixed anyway....WHY?

>>
>> i have every sympathy, another example of it weren't broke but we fixed anyway....WHY?
>>
>>
>>

"The Dilbert Principle" Scott Adams description of an Engineer comes close:

To the engineer, all matter in the universe can be placed into one of two categories:

(1) things that need to be fixed

and

(2) things that will need to be fixed after you've had a few minutes to play with them.

Engineers like to solve problems.

If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.

Normal people don't understand this concept; they believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
I take it you realise that only one Tomtom device can be registered to an account and once designated it can only be changed after six months. This is to stop multiple map downloads.
Each device requires its own account with a different e-mail address.
Yes I did know that, I have had three tom-toms over a long period of years. That has nothing to do with the current shambles they have inflicted on me, and does not excuse a wait of 12 hours for a password reset.

Anyway, Tomtom have a fix for the bug, its been applied, and it works. It took me two hours to recover the mess they made of the previous install of TomTom home in my machine.

All in all it means I shall never have another nor will I recommend them to any one else.
A self inflicted tantrum. :-)
You didn't read, or understand the issue clearly.
I've only ever had one TomTom. Still have it in fact. It gets used when I'm abroad now mainly. It's a 700 model. Looks big and clunky now by comparison to the newer stuff but still works perfectly. Seem to recall it was quite expensive when new. £500 sticks in my mind ! I see no reason to replace it yet, it works fine for what I need it for. Must be 6-ish years old. I used to use it more or less daily until I got my latest car which has a nav system built in.

I suppose you just have to accept that as you get older Z, that technical things will start to confuse you. Don't beat yourself up too much, it's normal apparently...

that will be about the same time you think your house is really tudor....
Latest Forum Posts