Motoring Discussion > Jaguar - Unusual Jaguar ID request please Miscellaneous
Thread Author: spamcan61 Replies: 11

Jaguar - Unusual Jaguar ID request please - spamcan61
evenin' all,

Rattling through Burley yesterday evening I had a very odd looking vehicle in front of me; never got a good look at the front, but from a rear three quarter view it looked like an XK140 from the B pillar forwards, and a 50s VW Beetle from there back - only more bulbous. Definitely had a Jaguar badge below the tiny oval rear window.

I've tried a quick Google, but tricky when you get deluged with pictures of XJs, Mk2s and E types.

Any ideas what it was anyone? Reg plate (which I've managed to forget) - suggested late 50s.
 Jaguar - Unusual Jaguar ID request please - Biggles
One of these?

tinyurl.com/cfct6ma
Take the front half of that and glue a Beetle on the back! This beast really did look bizzare.

edit: rear end looked very much like this 40s Ford:-

weddingcar.uk.com/images/classic%20cars/acfordbsedandel4.jpg
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Tue 3 Apr 12 at 20:25
 Jaguar - Unusual Jaguar ID request please - Dog
Mark V ? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jaguar_MK_V,_Bauzeit_1948-51,_Front_(2008-06-28).jpg
Thanks but that looks quite normal ;-). The rear end of the Ford I posted upthread is pretty much spot on. I'm wondering if it was some sort of special custom built on a Jag chassis or something.
 Jaguar - Unusual Jaguar ID request please - kb
If you were mistaken about the Jaguar badge, then could it have been a Tatra? Google (Images) will show you them from all angles. I saw a Tatra T77 or possibly T87 once, on the road, in Essex....strange beast.
 Jaguar - Unusual Jaguar ID request please - Armel Coussine
There were several outfits that made coachbuilt shooting brake bodies on sporting Jaguars. Can't find anything resembling the OP description though.
The rear end of that isn't far off; the front end was very much Jag. XK140 though (I'd decided that before I saw the boot badge). Tricky to explain, but imagine an early fifties version of the hard top E type, with a vertical stretch.

snipurl.com/22wg14a

This isn't a wind up honest. This was one weird looking car. In a fetching metallic light green.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Tue 3 Apr 12 at 21:48
 Jaguar - Unusual Jaguar ID request please - Auristocrat
Think it may be a 1956 Jaguar Aerodyne Streamliner.
>> Think it may be a 1956 Jaguar Aerodyne Streamliner.
>>

Now that is looking close! Only things that look different are that my mystery car had a Jaguar badge in the middle of the rear, and the rear window was one piece, not two. Maybe a bit more bulbous as well.

Reckon it must've been as AC suggests, some 3rd party conversion, made in small numbers.
 Jaguar - Unusual Jaguar ID request please - Dave_
>> Reg plate (which I've managed to forget)

Shame, as Googling the reg plate in quotation marks often brings up the actual car in question.
>> >> Reg plate (which I've managed to forget)
>>
>> Shame, as Googling the reg plate in quotation marks often brings up the actual car
>> in question.
>>
LOL, yeah, or at least whipped me mobile out and got a fuzzy photo. Still, I'd never heard of a Tatra 77 or an Aerodyne Streamliner a week ago, so at least it's been vaguely educational. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Latest Forum Posts