Motoring Discussion > Volvo XC60 - odd tyre size Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 5

Volvo XC60 - odd tyre size - Falkirk Bairn
D-i-L was driving south and stopped @ a friend's house when she noticed a puncture.
Round to the tyre centre and got it fixed. Repairman commented on the fact that had it been a serious damage requiring a new tyre she would have had to wait 24 hrs for that size to be available.

Why do car manufacturers fit odd size tyres to some models. Comments before that the current Xtrail has 18" wheels but only 2 manufacturers make tthat size - funnily they are a lot dearer than the previous models 17" "more standard" size wheels.
 Volvo XC60 - odd tyre size - -
Why makers do that i couldn't say, seems daft to me.

Checking tyre prices and availability is part of my pre purchase research, too late when you find you've bought a vehicle with £200 a corner costs.
 Volvo XC60 - odd tyre size - Kevin
>Why do car manufacturers fit odd size tyres to some models.

The C6 Corvette is even worse.

The front wheels are 18x8.5 and the rears are 19x10. The factory-fit tyres are directional asymetrics, so you have four different tyres on the same vehicle!
 Volvo XC60 - odd tyre size - Bill Payer
Even our Honda Jazz has a fairly unusual size - 185/55R16. Nissan Note uses it too.
 Volvo XC60 - odd tyre size - IJWS14
>> Even our Honda Jazz has a fairly unusual size - 185/55R16. Nissan Note uses it
>> too.
>>

IIRC the Audi A2 used the same size - difficult to get.
 Volvo XC60 - odd tyre size - Lygonos
My old Forester wore 215/55x17 which were quite rare (I believe the Pug 407 coupe has these too but it's not exactly a common car either).

More rare were boots for the Subaru Legacy SpecB - 215/45x18 - shared with the front wheels of a Ferrari F360. Nice.

edit- looks like the Legacy ones are now also specced for Mazda 6 MPS and some Mitsu Lancers - camskills have a few available now.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sun 8 Apr 12 at 09:31
Latest Forum Posts