Motoring Discussion > leicester- warrington Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zookeeper Replies: 23

leicester- warrington - zookeeper
hi room, im dropping a mate off at warrington uni on wednesday and i dont want to be all day doing it
im thinking m69,m6, a500, a51... but my buddy said its quicker to go through burton, stoke on trent etc etc....last time i went through stoke you couldnt move for speed camera,s , any ideas cheers zoo
 leicester- warrington - Pat
There isn't a lot in it zookeeper but I certainly would check the Highways Agency website for traffic hold ups before you leave and then make the choice.

If there are none, my choice would certainly be M69/M6 all the way.

Pat
 leicester- warrington - Runfer D'Hills
I agree with Pat.

Crickey !

:-)
 leicester- warrington - Robbie34
>> hi room, im dropping a mate off at warrington uni on wednesday

Warrington does noit have a university.
 leicester- warrington - Meldrew
Perhaps it had a Polytechnic which has been renamed to make it sound a bit like the real thing?
 leicester- warrington - borasport
No, it's never even had a poly either.

Are you sure it's Warrington, or has he paid his fees 'up front' and we are about to witness a new scam ? ;-)

leicester- warrington - crocks
Warrington campus of the University of Chester?
www.chester.ac.uk/campus-life/warrington-campus
 leicester- warrington - Alastairw
There is (or was) a teacher training college in Padgate. Might call itself a University these days.
The student accommodation looks like the old Padgate College of Education. However, no address given or how to get there.
 leicester- warrington - Bill Payer
I'm confused too - ithe M6 goes pretty close to Warrington so you wouldn't use the A500 and A51. But you would use those roads to get to Chester.
 leicester- warrington - R.P.
Depends where you are - to get to in Warrington from Chester I use the A500 for a short length.
 leicester- warrington - Runfer D'Hills
Really? I reckon your TomTom's pfded

:-)
 leicester- warrington - nyx2k
it took a friend 4hrs this morning to get from leicester to chichester
 leicester- warrington - -
From Leics i'd go M1 A50 M6, the judge traffic at the time whether to turn right onto A500 and get on M6 at 16 or left onto A500 and use jct 15.

Its a long way round going down the M69 to then have to bother with the hell hole of Birmingham, then get ripped off at the Toll road if Brums bad.

A50 was running very well today, never dropped from the limiter.

Take no notice of the signs for A50 at M1 jct23a, carry on to jct 24 and take advantage of the lights at the jct there, whatever happens you will be just as quick as 23a if all is flowing, but if there is a lot of traffic the section of dual carraige that runs parallel to motorway from 23a to 24 is not light controlled at jct 24, and lengthy delays can sometimes result...i know because i have the T shirt to prove, but only once...;)
To get to Padgate you would leave the M6 at J21 Woolston, and take the A57, Manchester Road, towards Warrington. Turn right to Padgate in about half a mile from J21.

tinyurl.com/8x9uva2
Last edited by: Robbie34 on Fri 6 Apr 12 at 17:38
 leicester- warrington - Dave_
Exactly what GB said. I go that way so often (always continuing up the M1 to j24 in spite of the signs at j23a) that I forget how easy it is to become stuck on the parallel road. That road is handy for cafes though :)

We used to have a night trunk run, every night, from Leicester to Warrington and back. As long as you avoid the hotspots (East Mids airport, Britannia Way in Stoke) in the rush hours you'll be fine zookeeper. That means don't touch either of those areas before 09.00am or after 5.00pm.

>> last time i went through stoke you couldnt move for speed camera,s

Not like that any more, although I don't speed full stop so I might no longer notice all of them. It's 70mph almost the whole way along the A50 from EMA, dropping to 50, then 40 briefly, then 50 again through Stoke itself, before going back up to 70mph in the countryside on the A500 northbound. A useful point to note is that all the roundabouts on that route through Stoke have been bypassed now, so you'll have a clear run through on the A50 to the Britannia power station, then another clear run from there all the way up to Alsager.

I wouldn't even get the map out for this journey, it'll take a couple of hours each way tops.
 leicester- warrington - Bill Payer
>> From Leics i'd go M1 A50 M6, the judge traffic at the time whether to
>> turn right onto A500 and get on M6 at 16 or left onto A500 and
>> use jct 15.
>>
Exactly what I have done many times, although not for a few years.

>>
>> A50 was running very well today, never dropped from the limiter.
>>
Hopefully you weren't driving your E320!
 leicester- warrington - -
>> Hopefully you weren't driving your E320!

:-))....very good BP.

No i was MANing it at an eye watering 55.
think i will take the advice and go M1 j21to J24then A50 to A500 to M6 EXIT J24....THANKS zoo
>> think i will take the advice and go M1 j21to J24then A50 to A500 to
>> M6 EXIT J24....THANKS zoo

Why would you exit J24 for Warrington? That is for Ashton in Makerfield. Miles past Warrington.
good call i meant j20
>> good call i meant j20

Bit puzzled as to why you are leaving at J20. Are you driving to Warrington town centre? If you are going to the Padgate campus then J21 should be the exit, as it's only about half of a mile from J21.
thanks robbie ...21 it is
 leicester- warrington - Dave_
>> think i will take the advice and go M1 j21to J24then A50 to A500 to M6

Coming back there are a couple of nice burger vans... First one on the eastbound A500 in the very long layby as you come off M6 j16... Second one on A50 first layby after Blyth Bridge roundabout (in the countryside as you come out of Stoke). Both highly recommended by me :)
Latest Forum Posts