Motoring Discussion > '10' plate - seen one already Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RichardW Replies: 19

'10' plate - seen one already - RichardW
White Audi A4 Cab (with a maroon roof, hmmm) NB on the M6 through the Lakes on Sunday evening on trade plates - was being given plenty beans! Took me a bit to figure out what was was going on with the reg as it was VO10.

So if anyone is taking delivery of a white A4 Cab in the north on Monday, you might want to ask what the delivery driver was doing with it on the M6....!
 '10' plate - seen one already - BobbyG
em... delivering it??
 '10' plate - seen one already - Bellboy
>> em... delivering it??
>>
>>> rush job ..guv
 '10' plate - seen one already - Duncan
Seen one already.

Nope, sorry. Don't count.

You cannot "see" a '10' plate until the first of March and then it must be on the road, registered with number plates and not trade plated.

Now; I womder who is going to be the first to see a '10' plate?
Last edited by: Duncan on Wed 24 Feb 10 at 22:32
 '10' plate - seen one already - Iffy
Saw a 10 plate VW Golf yesterday being driven near the VW dealer in Durham City.

Not sure if it had trade plates, I only saw the back of it.

Did I read somewhere only one trade plate needs to be displayed on the front?

'10' plate - seen one already - jc2
Trade plates are supposed to be displayed front and rear and in as close to normal plate position as possible.Putting them in the windscreen and on the parcel shelf is illegal tho' often seen.
 '10' plate - seen one already - henry k
jc2
Thanks for that clarification. The rules are as I recalled them
I have memories of delivery guys thumbing a lift with the rubber bungies hanging off their trade plates. Not seem them for a long time - said drivers..
In the real world, how can trade plates be displayed correctly on modern cars?
I went for a test drive a couple of weeks ago and yes one plate on the dash and the rearer one was positioned out of sight.
 '10' plate - seen one already - Old Navy
I drove an unregistered demonstrator on trade plates a couple of weeks ago. It will be a 10 plate soon, does that count? :-)

(The front plate was on the dash!)
 '10' plate - seen one already - Bellboy
thats fun when you go round a corner
do you watch where you are going
or
do you watch where the plates going as it slides across the dash

answer truthfully now
>> answer truthfully now
>>
It was in a rubber surround and didn't move, but of course I treat all cars with respect whether I own them or not. :-P

Anyway SWMBO is a good plate catcher!
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 25 Feb 10 at 12:50
 '10' plate - seen one already - Runfer D'Hills
When I come power, every driver will be issued with a number plate created from their driving licence number. If they own / use more than one car the other plates will have an additional suffix number. Company cars would have plates using the digits from the company registration number with appropriate suffixes for multi vehicle fleets.

The plates would stay with their owners and be transferred each time they changed / renewed their vehicles. This way the driver or at least the owner is the identifiable element which would seem to be the main purpose in the first place. The VIN numbering system could still remain as it is and continue to serve its existing purpose.

This would be among the first of many changes. I just need to look into how to become a dictator. I'll get back to you.
 '10' plate - seen one already - Zero
You'll need some thugs to scare people in the early days of your dic career. BBD will oblige.
>> The plates would stay with their owners and be transferred each time they changed /
>> renewed their vehicles.

Don't the Belgians use a similar system? Good system IMHO.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 25 Feb 10 at 17:56
Always thought Belgium was underrated.
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Thu 25 Feb 10 at 17:56
I'll vote for you, Round the Hump.
That was the the right answer ON. You can be Admiral of the fleet.
Or First Sea Dictator if you want.
 '10' plate - seen one already - rtj70
Also sounds similar to the USA system. Apart from the suffix. One of my brother's vehicles is Artoo... but he did also build a replica R2-D2!
 '10' plate - seen one already - L'escargot
>> When I come power every driver will be issued with a number plate created from
>> their driving licence number.

UK number plate formats are designed such that registration numbers are easily remembered by outside observers, and it doesn't sound as if your system would meet that criterion.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 26 Feb 10 at 07:16
Saw a 10 plated Honda Jazz on a transporter with 6 used cars this morning. It was the rear one on the top, very clean underneath, Oilrag obviously haden't been let loose on it. :-)
Latest Forum Posts