Motoring Discussion > Petrol & Diesel Discounts - Vol 1 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 105

Petrol & Diesel Discounts - Vol 1 - Falkirk Bairn

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 2 *****

Tesco taking 10p off but you have to buy 2 x 9 Andrex TRs

Changed thread title - was originally "Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow"

Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 27 Apr 14 at 19:11
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - VxFan
They're all at it.

www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/252217/Gearing-up-for-fuel-price-war/

Motorists can get 12p off a litre of petrol or diesel at Morrisons from tomorrow – if they spend £60 in store.

Tesco says its customers will be left “feeling flush” thanks to its new promotion. Shoppers who buy two nine packs of Andrex toilet roll (£4 each) in store or online from tomorrow will get a voucher offering a 10p per litre saving. In a separate deal Tesco is offering a 5p a litre price cut to people who spend more than £50 in store or online.

Sainsbury’s also got into the act last night – announcing a move to slash prices by up to 3p per litre at all of its 266 forecourts across the UK. From tomorrow it is also offering a coupon cutting the cost by another 5p when punters spend £50 in store
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - madf
Brent crude was $128 at its height in Marr/Apr.. now $107.

If the Greeks do what the Greeks have always done: default on their loans - expect $90.
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - mattbod
Won't it go up as people shift their money into commodities?

Anyway there is always a caveat with supermarkets: have to spend £50 plus etc.
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - Bromptonaut
And so far a Sainsbury's go it'll still be 3p/litre more in Northampton than in Kettering or Leicester.
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - WillDeBeest
...slash prices by up to 3p per litre...

!
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - crocks
Email I just received from Sainsbury's says -

"Good news! From Monday 21 to Sunday 27 May, you can save 5p per litre of fuel when you spend £50* or more at Sainsbury's."

Still think it will a fill at Tesco this week.
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - Stuartli
Super unleaded is around 142p in my area at present, down from 148p (139p at Sainsburys in Preston) and I also get 4p a litre off at a Texaco garage by using a voucher given with previous purchases. But fuel is still cheaper here in the North West in cities such as Preston and Liverpool....:-((
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - Focusless
132.7p at Asda, Lower Earley.
Down from 141.9 on Saturday to 138.9 today (diesel). That suggests 135.9 in Leicester so I'll be calling at Fosse Park on my trip up north tomorrow.
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - madf
>> Won't it go up as people shift their money into commodities?
>>

>>

Chinese growth is slowing, the EC is busy forcing itself into recession, US growth is slowing, Iran has no nukes and at present the investing world is risk averse...
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - FocalPoint
£131.9 at Sainsbury's in Watford today, always one of the cheapest places in the UK.

I might hang on until later in the week. Could it go lower?

A stroke of luck, this reduction - we're off to Falmouth next week.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Mon 21 May 12 at 22:30
>> £131.9 at Sainsbury's in Watford today, always one of the cheapest places in the UK.

I notice this from the train!! Presumably the 132 is U/L and Diesel is nearer 137?

Still a bargain tho,
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - Mapmaker
My tank has some £1.56 fuel in it when I last put some in three weeks ago. Fortunately I only put 10 litres in, motorway service prices and all that.
Now down to £129.9.
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - Kithmo
Morrison's 12p off per ltr when you spend £60
Diesel 134.9 at Sainbo's Fosse Park this morning.
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - SteelSpark
>> Brent crude was $128 at its height in Marr/Apr.. now $107.

>> If the Greeks do what the Greeks have always done: default on their loans - expect $90.

Down below $90 today, even without a Greek default.
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - SteelSpark
>> Won't it go up as people shift their money into commodities?

The price of any commodity will move primarily on the basis of supply and demand. If people think that the world economy is heading into recession, then they will expect demand for oil to fall, and so the price will fall. Note how the price of oil fell heavily along with stocks in 2008.

The same for industrial metals such as copper. Precious metals can act slightly differently, upon depending how much they are used in industry and how much they are used as a currency hedge.

As for supermarket price wars...typical...I filled up on Saturday...
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - Pat
No deal on toilet rolls yet at Tesco this week.

I've just opened the last pack from the last 15p off petrol deal they did a few months ago, so they need to get a move on!

Pat
>> No deal on toilet rolls yet at Tesco this week.

Unless you've got an empty tank of fuel, you might as well buy their own brand of 9 rolls, currently at £3.00 a pack.
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - crocks
>> No deal on toilet rolls yet at Tesco this week.

Based on the information here I went to Tesco last night and was disappointed too.
Asda is dropping their fuel prices tommorow. No doubt the others will follow.

your.asda.com/news-and-blogs/we-re-cutting-fuel-prices-to-lowest-level-for-more-than-a-year

Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - Duncan
>> Asda is dropping their fuel prices tommorow. No doubt the others will follow.
>

Too far to go. nearest store Isle of Dogs, or Reading!
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - wotspur
Watford has an Asda that does fuel and I believe so does the one at park royal, as mentioned Watford is always cheap I did diesel last week at 134.9
Watford!!

That's oop North!
"Watford!!

That's oop North!"

Funny definition of "North", D. Watford is inside the M25!

OK, it's north of London.
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - CGNorwich
A possible confusion between Watford and the Watford Gap, the traditional boundary between North and South and which of course nowhere near Watford?
>> A possible confusion between Watford and the Watford Gap, the traditional boundary between North and
>> South and which of course nowhere near Watford?

The Watford Gap is actually only a stone's throw from Watford. Not the one inside the M25 though.

binged.it/L21aox
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - Harleyman

>>
>> The Watford Gap is actually only a stone's throw from Watford.

Assuming you use a big enough trebuchet. ;-)
>> A possible confusion between Watford and the Watford Gap, the traditional boundary between North and South and which of course nowhere near Watford?
>>

No! No! No!

Watford, the place North West of London is the place where 'oop North' starts.

It's irony - see?
"It's irony - see?"

If you say so!

:-))
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - Roger.
Just filled up at Sainsbury's. Ordinary unleaded is £1.329 per litre. NOT 3p off - more like 2p, but we are always ripped off for fuel in our locality.
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - Zero
Just filled up in St Aubins. £1.17 litre
"Filled up"?

You've got to return it with a full tank?

Sounds like a rip-off, on a small island.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Tue 12 Jun 12 at 17:41
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - Dutchie
It's not that small Focus about 60 million people live here.
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - CGNorwich
St Aubins is on Jersey, Channel Islands Dutchie.
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - Zero
Filled up may be a bit of an exaggeration

I put 12 quids worth in it was so cheap I got carried away
You know, Z, just for a moment I thought I'd caught you out.

:-)
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - helicopter
The cost here in Crete is around €1.83 for unleaded. Diesel is €1.54. It cost €65 for a full tank of unleaded on my hited Matiz. Compensation is that I am posting this from Agios taverna,contemplating a nice cold beer while SWMBO is shopping.
Unleaded down to 130.9 this morning, diesel 136.9.

Eyesight not good enough to read price in Watford as train rattled through!!
Sainsbury's, Dome Roundabout, Watford, £126.9 for unleaded at the mo.

Just in time for our trip up north (yes, really "oop north", this time) to Leeds to see my first grandchild, born a few days ago.
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - Pat
Congratulations Granddad:)

Pat
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - Armel Coussine
Still around 136p yesterday round here, down from a fairly recent high of 144... there's a cheaper place on the A29 a few miles up the road, but it isn't always open.
Many thanks, Pat.

I'm still getting used to it - seems odd at the moment.
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - Armel Coussine
Repeat after me:

'I am not a grandparent. It just happens that one of my children has reproduced.'

This line becomes more difficult to maintain as the nippers follow each other in apparently unending succession. It's great not having to wipe their bums and comfort them when they are skriking though. Except of course on the frequent occasions when their parents aren't there and you have to reason with the little brutes.
Well, I always thought that being a grandparent meant that you had all the pleasure and few of the responsibilities of little children.

As we are a long way from my grandson I don't think we shall be doing much baby-sitting.
 Sainsburys cutting 3p /ltr from tomorrow - Kevin

www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/06/19/the_coming_oil_crash
Tesco offering 5p off a litre again when you spend £50

www.tesco.com/petrol-promotion

The info on their website "Sunday 24th June – Sunday 15th July 2012 inclusive" is incorrect. It actually starts from today, Monday 25th.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 25 Jun 12 at 14:05
 Osbourne NOT putting 3p in August - Meldrew
Excellent! With petrol down 10p/litre since April I am a bit happier!
 Osbourne NOT putting 3p in August - rtj70
Diesel at our local Tesco Extra is down 2p/litre compared to yesterday. And there's the 5p/litre offer too.

And the chancellor has put off the 3p/litre duty hike too.
 Osbourne NOT putting 3p in August - Bromptonaut
>> And the chancellor has put off the 3p/litre duty hike too.
>>

Leaving Justine Greening who yesterday 'would not stand in way of a rise' with egg on her face.
 Osbourne NOT putting 3p in August - Hacko
and wait until the absurdly costly £30bn High Speed Rail "vanity" project (which she has championed) crashes in another Government u-turn.....
 Osbourne NOT putting 3p in August - Ateca chris
Have i missed anything in the news of late about oil prices going up?
In the last week fuel prices are starting to creep up again, tesco's where i live
in plymouth put both fuels up 1p a litre last week this morning i noticed
its gone up another 2p.

They have been running the 5p off when yo spend £50 last couple of weeks wonder if that has anything to do with it.
 Osbourne NOT putting 3p in August - Crankcase
For all my apparent miserliness, I have to admit that although I often find myself at Tesco with a voucher in my pocket, I can't be doing with queuing at a "normal pump" and actually going into the hut to queue again, so I ignore the voucher and use the pay and go pumps, which are nearly always empty.

Probably costs me £2 a time to do that. Bad, especially since in reality I'd be sending Mrs C in to do the queuing anyway.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 18 Jul 12 at 10:31
 Osbourne NOT putting 3p in August - Meldrew
I think the price of crude went up a bit on Monday so the increase is on at the pumps within 48 hours, natch!
 Osbourne NOT putting 3p in August - Bromptonaut
Market report on R4 this morning said crude was creeping up again. OTOH short term forecourt cost changes can be driven by 'spot price' of refined product.

Also reported wheat prices as being up 40% due poor weather in US.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 18 Jul 12 at 11:10
 Osbourne NOT putting 3p in August - WillDeBeest
The exchange rate with the dollar has as much influence as the crude price. In April and May 1 USD was 61-62p; recently it's been 64-65p. Enough to explain a penny or two on a litre.
 Osbourne NOT putting 3p in August - VxFan
>> They have been running the 5p off when yo spend £50 last couple of weeks wonder if that has anything to do with it.

The one they gave me on Sunday is only valid for 7 days. Previous 5p off vouchers have been valid for 14 days.

I think the offer has ended again now.
 Osbourne NOT putting 3p in August - mikeyb
Filled up this morning and paid 135.9 - I'm sure it was 134.9 yesterday
 Tesco - Up to 50p off per litre - VxFan
www.tesco.com/groceries/zones/default.aspx?name=petrol-promotion

Nescafe 300g - Buy one and get 10p off per litre of fuel
Heinz - buy any 4 for £9 and get 10p off per litre of fuel
Robinsons Double Concentrate, 1.75L - Buy any 2 for £7 and get 10p off per litre of fuel
Andrex Toilet Tissue, 9 rolls - Buy 2 packs and get 10p off per litre of fuel
Fairy Non Bio Powder, 72 wash - Buy one and get 10p off per litre of fuel

Tesco - Up to 50p off per litre - FocalPoint
Got a Shell voucher from Waitrose the other day. From their website:

"Spend £50 this week at Waitrose and get a voucher for 5p off per litre at Shell.

The offer applies from the 19 - 25 July 2012."

Sorry - should have posted this before!

Voucher expires 8th August.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Mon 23 Jul 12 at 17:12
 Tesco - Up to 50p off per litre - R.P.
Thanks Dave - The 325 was running low - just got two bottles of juis d'orange which we drink anyway ! Brings it down to a healthy 122p a litre !
 Tesco - Up to 50p off per litre - rtj70
If I hadn't filled up recently this could have saved a bit. But to save the full 50p litre I'd buy products I'd normally get cheaper alternatives too.... so unless it's a full tank maybe it won't save so much...

But this thread should perhaps be a generic thread rather than the original. I am sure there are bargains every now and then.

Now if I combined this offer with the £5 off a £40 shop maybe it's worth it.... but I won't use enough fuel to make it worthwhile. Complicated by a reimbursable fuel card which determines when it is best for me to fill up ;-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 23 Jul 12 at 17:48
 Tesco - Up to 50p off per litre - Roger.
We looked at the Sainsbury money off scheme (toiletries one) and all the things on it could be bought for much less elsewhere. As our Panda only hold 35 litres when absolutely empty, (we normally only put in, at the most, around 20-25 litres, as SWMBO is a pathological worrier about running out) we calculated that the extra cost of the goods could not be offset against the potential petrol savings!
Oh I got me fiver off as well ! Not a big Tesco customer - Dive in as and when - I use MySupermarket to compare prices on "big ticket" stuff - Got a right bargain on Dishwasher tabs the other day.....
>> Got a right bargain on Dishwasher tabs the other day.....

Too much spare time ;-) I tend to shop in one shop because time and all that is... well time. I also go more often that I could because it's often difficult to know who's wanting food. Less waste = more miles in the car. I think I am saving though. Local supermarket is about 2 miles round trip at most. A bit further to the large Tesco Extra.

Hey working 30 hours now ! Just manage time a bit better, this includes finishing on time, only just become a clockwatcher !
>> But this thread should perhaps be a generic thread rather than the original.

Good idea. I'll change the title.
 Tesco - Up to 50p off per litre - mikeyb
The tesco prices look very inflated. We have the robinsons orange, and I'm sure it's usually 2.50 ish and sometimes BOGOF
 Tesco - Up to 50p off per litre - Roger.
We use ALDI orange squash @ £0.99 per bottle. Just asgood.
 Tesco - Up to 50p off per litre - Pat
I shop at Tesco online every week Mikey and I agree with you.

Andrex prices are up as well as the coffee....I shan't be participating in this one!

Pat
 Tesco - Up to 50p off per litre - John H
>> I shop at Tesco online every week Mikey and I agree with you.
>>
>> Andrex prices are up as well as the coffee....I shan't be participating in this one!
>>
>> Pat
>>

So you don't think 50p x 50 litres = £25 is worth bothering with?

>>•A Fuel Coupon entitles a customer to 10p off per litre of each full litre of fuel to the maximum amount of 100 litres per single transaction<<

It's actually £50 if you can manage to fill up with a maximum 100Litres and no I don't.

On principal I refuse to pay an inflated price for groceries to get money off fuel that won't fir into my almost full 90 litre fuel tank and won't be used before the expiry date.

The coupons will have a short expiry date, they always do and Tesco fully realise this, they also know a lot of people won't realise until they are presented with the coupons at the check out after paying for the goods.

If more people refused to be lured into spending on expensive brands to obtain money off something full us, then Tesco couldn't afford to do it.

Pat
You should learn the art of smart shopping Pat - not a time consuming process and pays dividends. Two bottles of orange for a 7 quid saving on fuel !
Not if I don't normally buy orange juice and I can't fit the equivalent amount of fuel in my tank before the expiry date.

That equates to a loss of £7 to me and leaves me sitting looking at two bottles of orange juice, at a grossly inflated price that I won't drink.

Pat
www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp

The same squash here is £2 per bottle.

Over inflated...surely not!

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Thu 26 Jul 12 at 14:02
 Wow Tesco's offer - wotspur
Im off to Tesco's first thing to get some squash, coffee toilet paper some baked beans and washing powder, their latest offer is buy these 5 items and get 10p per voucher off fuel for each item, that's upto 50p off per litre., how can they do it ? .... It might be a boring diet, of beans on toast, washed own with squash and cleared up with the paper and washing powder, but got 2 cars to fill this weekend.
Mine takes 70 litres my wife 55litres, that's quite some saving

now merged with previous post discussing the offer
Last edited by: Webmaster on Thu 26 Jul 12 at 09:08
 Wow Tesco's offer - Focusless
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=10669&m=251890&v=e
 Wow Tesco's offer - Pat
Unless the price is equal to, or lower than, the price of the brand you would usually buy, there is no saving at all.

Pat

Wow Tesco's offer - John H
>> Unless the price is equal to, or lower than, the price of the brand you
>> would usually buy, there is no saving at all.
>>
>> Pat
>>

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=10669&m=252378&v=e
 Wow Tesco's offer - John H
>> 2 cars to fill this weekend.
>>

Airbags repaired after your crash?

Wow Tesco's offer - WillDeBeest
If Wotspur has two vehicles to fill he'll need two sets of vouchers, so two separate shopping trips - and an awful lot of bogroll.

Whether these schemes work for you is simple maths: work out the extra you spend on groceries and subtract the fuel saving. We don't buy things we wouldn't otherwise have, but we do occasionally bring forward purchases of stuff we'd eventually buy anyway. We're regular Tesco shoppers anyway, so it doesn't change our habits that much.
 Wow Tesco's offer - R.P.
We use Robinson's Orange cordial anyway so it's no hardship.
 Wow Tesco's offer - WillDeBeest
What do you use it for, RP?
}:---)
 Wow Tesco's offer - R.P.
To glug in lieu of beer and wine !
 Wow Tesco's offer - Dutchie
Lots of free advertising for Tesco what is so special about this shop?
 Wow Tesco's offer - R.P.
Nawt - just take their special offers and run. Their meat is awful.
Same deal, but different items entitling you to up to 50p off a litre.

Andrex Toilet Tissue Quilts 9 Roll - Buy any 2 and get 10p off per litre of fuel
Buy one Finish All In 1 Lemon 78'S and save 10p per litre
Buy one Whiskas Pouches Fisherman Choicein Jelly 48X100G and save 10p per litre
Buy one Tetley Tea 160s and save 10p per litre
Spend £6 or more on cereals and save 10p per litre

Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 2 Aug 12 at 21:15
 Tesco - Up to 50p off per litre - No FM2R
Is there a maximum quantity on these offers? Because given that an independent retailer purportedly earns 2p per litre on petrol there ought to be an opportunity for redistribution here.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 2 Aug 12 at 21:47
 Tesco - Up to 50p off per litre - mikeyb
Max 100 ltrs per transaction
I think the question was perhaps how many vouchers can you use. You get up to 50p off per litre for the single transaction. So if you needed 70 litres that's a useful £35 off. But it assumes you need the items purchased in the first place.

If the question was how many items can you purchase then there probably is a limit for a visit. But go more than once. There is a time limit on when the fuel voucher can be used - about 2 weeks. So if you've only one car you'll not fill it up to full more than once probably.

We do eat Special K in this house so a no brainer to buy two boxes of that and get 10p/litre off the next fill-up.

Looking at the other items, the cat food ours wouldn't eat and it's £13. We drink Yorkshire loose leaf tea. Use cheaper toilet rolls and dishwasher tablets.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 3 Aug 12 at 13:57
 5p off a litre of fuel when you spend £50 at Tesco - VxFan
Yes, the offer is back again.

Receive 5p Fuel Coupon when you spend £50 or more in store, or spend, and have delivered, £50 or more of groceries between Friday 24th August - Sunday 16th September 2012 inclusive.

10 off a litre of fuel when you spend £60 at Tesco - henry k
www.tesco.com/
 5p off a litre at Shell - VxFan
I've already mentioned it in the bargains thread (in non motoring) then suddenly remembered we had a fuel discount thread as well.

www.bespokeoffers.co.uk/consumer/offers/save-5p-per-litre-off-any-fuel-at-shell--d4096

One voucher per visit & maximum of 50 litres per transaction.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 10 May 13 at 12:51
 5p off a litre at Shell - mikeyb
Nice find, just printed a couple off. Usually fill up at shell anyway as its on the way home
 5p off a litre at Shell - Runfer D'Hills
I always seem to get stuck behind the mean spirited twonks at check outs and tills who have discount vouchers. With effort I usually manage to resist bludgeoning them to death while they rake about in their grubby little change purses, totally oblivious to the lengthening queue of normal people behind them trying go about their business before the date changes for some screwed up scrap of paper which protects them from spending 10p more than they have to.
 5p off a litre at Shell - Zero
>> I always seem to get stuck behind the mean spirited twonks at check outs and
>> tills who have discount vouchers. With effort I usually manage to resist bludgeoning them to
>> death while they rake about in their grubby little change purses, totally oblivious to the
>> lengthening queue of normal people behind them trying go about their business before the date
>> changes for some screwed up scrap of paper which protects them from spending 10p more
>> than they have to.

Oh how we love to hold up those company car drivers in their blinged up exotic machinery, stuff they could never afford to buy with their own money, but key to their inflated self importance in the company car park big dick swinging stakes.

It really brings them back to earth.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 10 May 13 at 20:13
Oh I think most of these people are too distracted by the excitement of saving 5p to be that selective. They still did it when I had a shonky old Mondy.
Must be your shoes then.
No, I'm sure it's just that they can't focus on anything other than the delight of saving enough for the price of half a Mars bar.
you know the beauty of that? they will be bimbling along the road in front of you chewing on their mars bar.
Yes indeed, still blissfully unaware of how much everyone else in the till queue hated them and how close they had come to being assassinated.
Dont be sure about that. It beats watching Bargain Hunt. Where do you fill up?
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 10 May 13 at 21:04
Anywhere I am when I need it, and no, that's not because some of my fuel is now company funded it's just that I probably fill up 3-4 times a week at least have done for what seems forever and never could be bothered to be faffing over it. If I need fuel and there's no queue I just do it. Win some lose some I guess. Generally top up when it gets below 1/2 a tank. That way I know I've always got enough no matter what stupid time in the morning I need to leave.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Fri 10 May 13 at 22:15
 5p off a litre at Shell - legacylad
I really don't understand this fixation with a few pence off per litre. Why on earth would I want to spend £50 in my local supermarket to get vouchers.
Every other tank full I stuff in Shell V Power and all I know is that it is less than £1.50 litre.
The main cost of any privately run car is depreciation and any annual mileage sub 15k makes saving a few pence per litre almost irrelevant.
Having an extra few pints in the pub @ £2.90 with your chums puts it into perspective.
Latest Forum Posts