Motoring Discussion > My roofbox whistles.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: a900ss Replies: 52

My roofbox whistles.... - a900ss
And it is very annoying.

Just got it today, a Thule Atlantis 780 and it whistles between 30mph and 45 mph. Fine at all other speeds.

It must be the roofbox as I have used the bars with a Thule Atlantis 600 and a Thule Pacific 500 with no whistling. The bars are in the same position and the roofbox is as far back as it will go.

Any tips on how to reduce the whistling?

Thanks
 My roofbox whistles.... - Robin O'Reliant
Is it something you can sing along to?
 My roofbox whistles.... - ....
Is it the same car or has that changed ?
You'll have to experiment if the car is different, even something as simple as a different aerial might be the cause of your displeasure.

You could just turn the radio up and whistle along:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSnkWzZ7ZAA
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 22 Jun 12 at 17:42
 My roofbox whistles.... - Meldrew
If it was me I'd try masking the gap between the body and lid with gaffer tape. They are big things and not that rigid, the aerodynamics of the air flowing over it may be causing the lid to flex, varying the gap and causing the whistling.
The Thule ones (well the Thule built Volvo ones) have three catches operated by one lock along both sides so they can be accessed from either side of the car. The lid shouldn't be moving that much.
 My roofbox whistles.... - WillDeBeest
You've recently changed cars, haven't you, A900? If so, does the box sit lower than before? As I understand it, too small a gap between the roof and the box can cause whistling.
>> You've recently changed cars, haven't you, A900? If so, does the box sit lower than
>> before? As I understand it, too small a gap between the roof and the box
>> can cause whistling.
>>

I changed cars only 3 weeks ago but strangely this is the third different roof box it has had on it!!!!!

Both the others were on the same roofboxes and the bars were in the same place which is why I think it is the box.

It's very annoying as I can't quite name that tune in 1
Last edited by: a900ss on Fri 22 Jun 12 at 18:03
 My roofbox whistles.... - Zero
The whistling is caused by a gap. You just have to find what gap is causing it by blocking them off with tape one at a time. It could be the seams flexing, it could be a gap between bars and box. Only experimentation with tape will find it.
 My roofbox whistles.... - R.P.
Cut a length of material sort of an elongated rectangle. Tie to the leading edges of the rails. Should disrupt the airflow sufficiently to stop the whistling. Look quite jaunty as well.
You could put an MCC tie round it?
 My roofbox whistles.... - Ted

Check it over thoroughly...there might be one of these inside it.....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohUr3MAPClY

Ted
 My roofbox whistles.... - L'escargot
Aeroacoustics is one of the most challenging domains of Fluid Dynamics. Why not ask Thule their opinions?
 My roofbox whistles.... - Dave_
When I was a kid, we had a 1975 Volvo 244 which whistled steadily from 40mph upwards. Never did figure out whether it was the door mirrors, the wipers or the lack of any bodywork below the front bumper that caused it.

I could tell by the sound alone when another 244 was coming down the road.
 My roofbox whistles.... - bathtub tom
I bought a car that had a whistle. It turned out to be the aerial mounted at the front of the roof. It took a little 'persuasion' to change its angle and cure it. I reckon it must have driven the previous owner mad.
 My roofbox whistles.... - Number_Cruncher
>>and the roofbox is as far back as it will go.

If there's some adjustment available, move it forward a bit. It might be enough to change the noise. If it doesn't, at least it has cost you nothing!
 My roofbox whistles.... - Armel Coussine
Or if the pitch changes you could mount the roof box on slides and play it like a trombone as you drive along.
 My roofbox whistles.... - Cliff Pope
My old fashioned roof rack makes a noise like a Stuka dive-bomber.
>> My old fashioned roof rack makes a noise like a Stuka dive-bomber.

Have you tried to get the number plate JU 87?
>> >>and the roofbox is as far back as it will go.
>>
>> If there's some adjustment available, move it forward a bit. It might be enough to
>> change the noise. If it doesn't, at least it has cost you nothing!
>>
>>

I tried it about 5 inches forward -same whistle.

Oh well....
 My roofbox whistles.... - Fullchat
I have some square Thule roof bars that I use without a roofbox occasionally. They whistle on their own. They do more aerodynamically shaped ones which are dearer.
 My roofbox whistles.... - devonite
When my dynamo used to whistle, i fitted a 10uf suppressor to it!
 My roofbox whistles.... - Runfer D'Hills
>>Any tips on how to reduce the whistling?

Take less stuff !

:-)
 My roofbox whistles.... - zookeeper
maybe you have one of these trapped in the box?....have you been to kenya lately?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmDZgy3HpdU&feature=related
 My roofbox whistles.... - henry k
My square Thule bars make quite a noise too plus the roof clamps are not exactly streamlined.
I have just bought some S/H pukka Jaguar ones that are really streamlined. I will be interested to find out is they are as quiet as they look .:-)
Like these but not at this price
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150824679922?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648
 My roofbox whistles.... - devonite
Why would anyone want to defile an x-type Jag with a roof box??? - tis akin to pulling a caravan with a Rolls!!!!
 My roofbox whistles.... - zookeeper
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HVFO8pXxkY
 My roofbox whistles.... - idle_chatterer
>> Why would anyone want to defile an x-type Jag with a roof box??? - tis
>> akin to pulling a caravan with a Rolls!!!!
>>

A friend of mine tells a tale of his childhood where his father (an engineer) having come into some money from a patent / invention bought himself a second hand Rolls and towed the family caravan with it.
>> Why would anyone want to defile an x-type Jag with a roof box??? - tis akin to pulling a caravan with a Rolls!!!!
>>
The good news is that I have no plans for a roof box.
I have bought the bars for when I get rid of the Mondeo which has split rear seats and a sun roof allowing me to, yesterday, easily transport diy pipe.
I may also need the roof bars for bike transport.
Should've bought a proper (estate) one then Henry, come with roof rails them...

>> >> Why would anyone want to defile an x-type Jag with a roof box??? -
>> tis akin to pulling a caravan with a Rolls!!!!
>> >>
>> The good news is that I have no plans for a roof box.

Quite right old chap. Only a cad of the highest order sticks a roof box on a Jagwar.
www.avo.org.uk/images/ArthurDaley.jpg
>>Should've bought a proper (estate) one then Henry, come with roof rails them...
Nah . I did not want a boom box, no hounds to transport and the offspring have flown the nest. :-)

>>>> The good news is that I have no plans for a roof box.

>>Quite right old chap. Only a cad of the highest order sticks a roof box on a Jagwar.

Thank you for your kind support Sir!
To my surprise Jagwar do make/ sell a branded roof box. There was one on Ebay a couple of weeks ago.
I was donated, by a good ex Jagwar owner friend ( now an X3 owner for SWMO's ease of access) a pukka branded screen to keep the sun off the leather , complete in its carrying pouch.
I am unsure if I want this big logo displayed as it might attract the peasants or worse. :-)
I found that my square Thule bars whistled on my 330d Touring yet were silent on my A4 B7 Avant (even with roofbox) and preceding Mondeos.

What the Audi had were helpful indicator marks on the roof rails showing where to mount roof bars and the Mondeo Estate had a very informative diagram in the user manual with measurements shown whereas the BMW had nothing and involved guesswork.

IIRC the bars should be a distance of 70cm apart - whatever the size of your roofbox / bike carrier / canoe carrier or whatever else and these accessories should allow this level of adjustment.

I've never seen the point of the aero bars - surely the drag from any roof rack with cycle or roof box is bad so making the bars with an oval shape will make little difference ?

I'm guessing the noise is from some resonance effect so the spacing of the roof bars and their position wrt the roof rails might be a factor ?

>> I've never seen the point of the aero bars - surely the drag from any
>> roof rack with cycle or roof box is bad so making the bars with an
>> oval shape will make little difference ?

For me the bigger benefit with the Aero Bars is the T Track fixing system. Takes less space inside my box AND I can fit stuff right up to the edges of the bars
>>
>> For me the bigger benefit with the Aero Bars is the T Track fixing system.
>> Takes less space inside my box AND I can fit stuff right up to the
>> edges of the bars
>>
>>

Yeh, I was a bit of a cheapskate really... however the best money I spent on my BMW was the electrically deployable tow-bar and Brenderup Trailer / Thule tow-ball mounted bike carrier - both far superior (but expensive) solutions to the 'too much stuff' problem !

So in truth I hardly used my roof bars from then on.
>> I have some square Thule roof bars that I use without a roofbox occasionally. They
>> whistle on their own. They do more aerodynamically shaped ones which are dearer.
>>

My roof bars are aero roof bars. They have never whistled on their own or with any other box on them. I don't think it's the bars that are whistling.
>>
>> My roof bars are aero roof bars. They have never whistled on their own or
>> with any other box on them. I don't think it's the bars that are whistling.
>>

Quite possibly, but I'd still verify that they're 70cm apart and positioned correctly wrt the roof rails. Also does the roofbox have a recommended position wrt the bars ?

I've seen people with long roofboxes position them forward of the correct place on their load bars so that the hatchback will open. I've no idea whether this matters but I suppose that the 70cm recommendation and manufacturers' fore/aft placement suggestions are made for aerodynamic and handling reasons ?
>>
>> My roof bars are aero roof bars. They have never whistled on their own or
>> with any other box on them. I don't think it's the bars that are whistling.
>>
Well it may be worth listening ( literally) to what the Aussies are producing.
I was pointed to the Whispbar range and it certainly looks impressive ( as does the price). Quality rarely comes cheap but Thule may longer be kings of the bars.
Roofbox have a demo of the lack of whistles!!
A shorter version www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6BUO1RLt_g
I can now see lots of stuff on Google.
 My roofbox whistles.... - Boxsterboy
Years ago, before aerodynamic roof bars were invented, and all roof rack bars were square, Dad used to wrap a rope around the bars, running from one side of the bar to the other. This had a remarkable affect on reducing the whistling - I guess it was sufficient to break up the airflow.

Indeed, some bee-sting roof aerials have a similar pattern in their moulding, presumably for the same reason.
Careful, Henry - Whispbars are from New Zealand.

I bought a pair for the LEC in May; with a full-load holiday looming and the car new to us we wanted to be sure we could use our roofbox. In the end we left them at home because everything but the bikes went inside the car.

I did drive around for a couple of days with just the bars on the car (they're a very snug fit between the LEC's rails, so a bit tricky to get off) and they are certainly impressively quiet - barely noticeable, in fact, below 60. The aerofoil profile give them quite a sharp edge, so handle with care.
Roofboxes are for refugees who may need to take the kitchen sink with them.

They are ugly, they may whistle, they reduce performance and increase fuel consumption.
Mostly true, AC, but consider this: most of us have cars that are too big and are mostly empty most of the time, and this uses an awful lot of fuel. Attaching a box on the couple of occasions a year when everything won't fit inside is a far more economical solution in most cases.

And we'll take no lectures on ugliness from the man in the PT Cruiser.
}:---P
>> no lectures on ugliness from the man in the PT Cruiser.
>> }:---P

Heh heh... you should have seen it with the roofbox on. The box is outside on the roof of a shed now, whistling quietly to itself and nicking firewood...
>> The box is outside on the roof of a shed now, whistling quietly to itself and nicking firewood...
>>
How are your roof bars fitted to your shed - gutter attachments?
>> Careful, Henry - Whispbars are from New Zealand.
>>
Soorry- wrong side of the Tasman.
I thought wispa bars were made by cadbury Kraft foods inc
>> I thought wispa bars were made by cadbury Kraft foods inc
>>
Thats the soft option for driblers :-)
 My roofbox whistles.... - NickA
I have the same problem with a Thule rack supplied by Volvo for my V60 estate. It is shaped like an aircraft wing and I have tried reversing the leading edge and changing the position along the roof to no avail. The racks have a slot on the underside which may be the problem so I will try duct tape to cover the slot.
 My roofbox whistles.... - Duncan
Welcome to the Comedy Playhouse, Nick.

I am the only sensible one here.
>> I have the same problem with a Thule rack supplied by Volvo for my V60
>> estate.

I have a Volvo(Thule) roofbox and roof bars for my S60. The noise is horrendous. I think it's down to the gap between the roof and box. I had a previous model S60 with Volvo bars which was MUCH, MUCH quieter.

With the box on the older car fuel consumption dropped 2 or 3 MPG, the new shape S60 knocks 10-12 MPG off with the box on.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 17 Apr 15 at 16:36
 My roofbox whistles.... - Slidingpillar
because it doesn't know the words...
Hi Nick - this might be today's silly question but, are you sure you have the roof bars the right way up?

I have Atera roof bars for my Thule bike racks and the slot goes uppermost to allow the tabs from the racks to slot in.
 My roofbox whistles.... - CGNorwich
Seems to be a common problem. Some useful tips on this site as to potential cures.

www.arnoldclark.com/newsroom/591-roof-box-tips-which-to-buy-how-to-fit-it-reducing-noise-and-storage-solutions
Latest Forum Posts