Motoring Discussion > Technical section contribution. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 22

Technical section contribution. - Bigtee
The technical section is not very fast moving on this forum Hj's is flying round although not to say all the advice to be correct come on guys contribute if you can.
 Technical section contribution. - kensitas
Although not a great 'user' (or indeed contributor) of the technical section, my quick scan reveals that a good number of the 'brains' behind HJ's technical page are doing sterling work here.

Indeed the cleverest man in the UK regularly contributes to C4P technical(!) - and I mean that only tongue partially in cheek.

Although not wanting to get into a them & us comparison with the t'other place, it does seem moribund & lacking (esp. in technical - even to my layman's eye) - I wonder, what's worse - lots of so-so advice or one or two concise gems (as on here)?

Slightly O/T - on the general 'state of the parties', re this site & the other place - while C4P oozes experience & insight, scanning t'other leaves a feeling of disappointment at the overall quality of poster contribution - the head was cut-off but the body lingers!
 Technical section contribution. - Pat
Just a thought here, tell me to go away if you want!

Would it be the way to go to accept that HJ is where to go for Technical advice and here is where to go for a more relaxed and balanced discussion?

Could that be the way forward to ensure the continuing existence of both forums.

It doesn't have to be a competition:)

Pat
 Technical section contribution. - Zero
If I need technical advice or answers I post to both.

Seeemples.

How was truckfest Pat?
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 5 May 10 at 08:51
Very cold, very windy very tiring but good:)

I have a post to do about it in Non motoring as soon as I catch up!

Pat
 Technical section contribution. - R.P.
Moved into motoring -Pat.
Thanks PU, I thought the alcoholic content of Truckfest would preclude it from motoring:)

Pat
You may have a point !
 Technical section contribution. - Zero
>> You may have a point !

or even a pint.
 Technical section contribution. - car4play
Hi Pat

Basically this site needs to be more than just a forum to attract users from outside who in turn ask the kind of technical questions you lot are good at answering. We will get around to it in due course.

My hunch is that members here are pretty technically savvy so topics from the state of the nation to bread making machines seem more interesting.
Good! It's always hard to offer something that no-one else offers, but it would be nice to have something unique to develop for car4play.

Now there's a challenge for you:)

Pat

Technical section contribution. - VxFan
Have you noticed though that some of the threads on HJ have been brought back from the dead? Threads created some 3 to 5 yrs ago (or more) coming back to the surface. Whilst it used to occasionally happen, it was never as much as it is now. Also, I've noticed on a couple of occasions that when a person joins here that has also posted on HJ at some point, a thread of theirs from the past suddenly appears again on HJ. Could it be a ploy to tempt them back I wonder? Nah, that would be silly to think such a thing.
Yes, it would.

Ressurecting old threads is something all (good?) forum mods do when things go quiet, and it usually works too!

Pat
 Technical section contribution. - Fenlander
Ever since HJ burst back into life I've wondered about the posting patterns which just don't look right... you just get a feel for it after 10yrs.

Regarding the tech stuff here...

Stephen always has said he knows this place needs more traffic. Yes there are some *names* here but for a good tech section you need a far larger amount of questions matched with an even larger amount of owners for specific makes/models/types. Often good answers come from folks who have experienced problems as much as those who might know how to fix them.
 Technical section contribution. - -
Maybe we here have chosen reliable cars, can't really ask what if questions.
 Technical section contribution. - zookeeper
are the two sites related in any way? they are so coincidently similar?
 Technical section contribution. - Focusless
>> are the two sites related in any way? they are so coincidently similar?

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=3&t=172
 Technical section contribution. - The Melting Snowman
I can't say I've noticed it but then I only look at HJ very occasionally now. This is the place to be these days.

I really can't believe that someone (or some people) are sufficiently bored and time-endowed to monitor this site, then upon recognising a user name trawl up some thread from the past they have written on HJ. What would it actually achieve? Why would it entice them back? It makes no sense to me at all.

The way to entice people back is by quality, not quantity. I'm staying here, provided you will have me ;-)
Of course we are !
 Technical section contribution. - VxFan
>> Have you noticed though that some of the threads on HJ have been brought back
>> from the dead? Threads created some 3 to 5 yrs ago (or more) coming back
>> I've noticed on a couple of occasions that when a person
>> joins here that has also posted on HJ at some point, a thread of theirs
>> from the past suddenly appears again on HJ.

Now it could just be a co-incidence (again!), but someone recently mentioned Armitage Shanks here and suddenly a post of his appears from 2 years ago on HJ.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=64733

Technical section contribution. - Cliff Pope
This forum started life as a kind of emigre newspaper for refugees from the old country.

As we all get older and our memories of the glorious days before the Revolution grow clouded, we need new blood, people not old enough to remember that there was once a fabled land called HJ.
 Technical section contribution. - L'escargot
>> ............... there was
>> once a fabled land called HJ.
>>

Don't remind me, Cliff, I was trying to forget about it! This is a much nicer land.
 Technical section contribution. - FotheringtonTomas
>> Have you noticed though that some of the threads on HJ have been brought back
>> from the dead?

I looked there a couple of weeks ago. I notice that HJ himself is posting a lot more than he used to. There's an effort in progress to boost site traffic. It's a money-maker, so I'm not surprised. If the technical section is going well, great - here, it's almost non-existant.
Latest Forum Posts