Motoring Discussion > Yamaha Majesty 400.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 59

Yamaha Majesty 400.... - R.P.
Anyone got one ? Any real world experiences ?
 Yamaha Majesty 400.... - Runfer D'Hills
Not a Scooby. But nosiness led me to find a picture of one for those of us not in the know...

motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/2009-motorcycles/majesty-400-2.jpg

Wouldn't one have to be French and live in Paris what's more to want one of those?
 Yamaha Majesty 400.... - nyx2k
i had a majesty about 10 years ago and it was a comfortable ride with plenty of power in reserve up to 70mph ish but I used mine in the city and was very manoeuvrable. I put about 5k on it in a year and was reliable
 Yamaha Majesty 400.... - bathtub tom
Does it have the options of those aprons and heated handlebars to let old boys ride 'em?

;>)
Well following a fleet review and disposal of an aircraft carrier, Manmaths Procurements PLC have adjudicated that the GS needs a commuter stable mate - basically I need something that does 70 to the gallon, cheap to tax and insure with some weather protection and keep upable performance - so a maxi scoot is the answer, found a second hand one on a known dealer.....may nudge over for a look tomorrow......
 Yamaha Majesty 400.... - Baz
Er6f? Or the new Honda NC700, the one designed arounf fuel economy? Looks nice in the showroom and great reviews. Both will handle much better than a maxi scoot and a lot more top end.
Budget is a bit tight - we have an ER6 (Mrs RP's bike) - weather protection is the biggie...
 Yamaha Majesty 400.... - ....
>> basically I need something that does 70 to the gallon, cheap to tax and insure with some
>> weather protection and keep upable performance
>>
First of all I have no first hand experience of riding one but do know they are very popular in mainland Europe.

My question though would be why ?
70mpg is nothing special these days, the fire breathing monster sports bikes are getting into the low to mid-50's (ahem...when ridden by your granny) and road tax is only £70-something for the year.
Bikes are better for filtering than these scoots too from what I've seen, wobbly little things the scoots with their big bulbous bums trying to get between traffic.
Not much call for filtering on my commute - it's a 15 mile run Duals and good A classes. I use both other bikes occasionally but as I say it's all about weather protection and economy..
Nothing wrong with going down there and giving one a go.
The one that sticks in my mind which I've seen here (Burgman 650) is fairly spirited up to around the 80mph mark which will fit the bill for you. No idea about the economy, suspect if they were rubbish people wouldn't run them so they must be OK.
It also gets used most year round, only freezing conditions puts the rider off.
The other one I have in mind is the Honda SH300 - very, very good write ups - like hen's teeth though !
:-) That looks like Buck Roger's C50
Goes like hot snot though (so to speak)
Looks like it would slip through traffic though it is a product of Honda Italy, like the CBR600F, so don't expect Japanese build quality although the prices look 'strong'.

(TIC)Have to say I'm disgusted with the MPG of my new bike, the manufacturer claims an average 53.95MPG and I'm only getting 46MPG and I haven't been over 150MPH yet (only crept over the magic 1,000 miles this evening on the way home from work).(/TIC)
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 27 Jul 12 at 22:06
My last two boxers have been the dohc versions, the RT was marginally better than the GS at 55 mpg......I ride it faster though...I keep meaning to slow down, honest.
A BMW boxer is a like a Transit.
Transits always go faster full and boxers always run better in fields with farm equipment attached ;-)
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 27 Jul 12 at 22:40
I know, but they have oodles of torque and character though !
 Yamaha Majesty 400.... - Ted

I can't fault my Silverwing FJS600, Rob. I don't get 70mpg but I don't hang around on it. Tops out at about 120mph and weather protection and carrying capability first class.

Comfort, handling and filtering are no problem. Runs like a turbine. 0 - 60 in 5.7 secs.

Honda quality as well.

Ted
 Yamaha Majesty 400.... - Iffy
A commuter bike with weather protection for a man who buys BMWs like the rest of us buy shirts?

The answer is obvious:

www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/bikes/bmw/c1
Funnily enough I'd seen that one iffy - now if it was a 200cc version.....
 Yamaha Majesty 400.... - Harleyman
Tried one of those BMW's some years ago at the BMF; didn't like it at all, top-heavy and limited visibility. In mitigation it's a very different riding technique to a "normal" bike though, and I daresay that once used to it it could be a useful tool.

Yamaha Majesty 400.... - Baz
we have an ER6 (Mrs RP's bike)

Can you give us a mini-review, quite fancy swapping my FZ6 for a twin, something a bit less fierce perhaps, but with still reasonable performance?
Have you sold something then Rob? X1?
!

The ER6 is a great all round bike - now this one is run in it, it will lollop along at 70 or 80 all day, very light (well balanced) - does about 60 to the gallon (never really measured it as I tend to measure by the tank range around 130 miles) caned be made to cover the ground very quickly, good solid little machine - good resale values, lack of centre stand is a bit of a pain. Upwards of a ton is achievable and sustainable....we have the faired version which dosen't offer great weather protection. Be happy to load it up and tour abroad on it. Honest little bike.
Then maybe what you need is...

www.philpauley.com/crossbow.php
That's a sauna on wheels Humph.
Imagine trickling through traffic with the heat coming up off the motor.
I wonder if there's a tray on top of the tank for a growbag and some tomatoes ?
Fair enough. I'm no bike expert. ( well, not ones with engines anyway ! )
Well, did a punt around the excellently friendly Bike shops in the area - Prices for this style of bike a very firm at the moment - big demand due to the down turn as people look for cheaper commuting. Tried a little Honda 125 scooter - claims a 130mpg - with its own stop start system...! Performance on the A55 was too poor as I guessed it would be. Nearly did a deal on a Honda SH800 (250) before common sense kicked in. Went to see the Majesty. 7 years old with 7k on the clock - rides like a good one - seems ideal with 70 to 80 mph and 60 to 70 mpg available. Keeps the miles down on the GS and the 3 Series and lots better economy and a hoot to drive as well.
Yeah, OK, I get all of that. It's just, well, the, um, look of the thing. Surely you're not quite there yet?

Silly question I guess given the Roomster incident...

:-)
You know that I like ugly things. Mind you that E90 is a pretty little thing.
Especially in grey.
Green.
Random thoughts. Visited four dealers today - all busy, all welcoming, all happy to provide test-rides (one happy to bring a bike from another branch 90 miles away) - most full of bikers chewing the cud. This is the car-dealers should be....
 Yamaha Majesty 400.... - Duncan
In my yoof, push bike shops were like that. Mostly privately owned and run, nice group of people in the shop at the weekend chatting and buying bits and pieces.
 Yamaha Majesty 400.... - Iffy
...In my yoof, push bike shops were like that...

Some still are, like the one in Harrogate where I bought the Brompton.

Although it's a face fit job.

The owner is prone to rudeness and bombast, but if he likes the look of you, you're in.

We got on well, which is strange because it is opposites which are meant to attract.

Yamaha Majesty 400.... - JohnR @ Home {P}
Hi, R.P.

Have look at www.maxi-muppets.co.uk
I'm sure someone on there has a Majesty who can give you real world experience of running one. (You'll get plenty of non-real world advice as well ;¬)

Regards,
John R93
Thanks John.

Just been to pick it up tonight - just made it before the shop shut thanks to some twonk turning a truck over on the A55 and grid-locking the whole region for 12 hours. Cracking little bike, a hoot to ride keeps up well with the traffic. Just have to get used to no clutch an gear change....very odd...weather protection exceeds expectations. Not a wet foot in the house.....I think the late Gore Vidal's quote suits my mood at the moment...

"Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn."
 Yamaha Majesty 400.... - Zero

>> "Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a
>> damn."

Got the parka on order then? You gonna tie a racoon tail on the aerial?
It was a BMW Rallye suit that was worn - not the prettiest thing in the world, warm dry and very visible.......known as a t****r suit for those in the know !
 Yamaha Majesty 400.... - MD
An Ossa was a damn good trials bike I'll have you know Sire.
First impressions. Rode it to work today - 30 mile round trip. Mix of fast dual, fast single and town work.

First impressions are that it is a little wobbly - getting used to the auto box is unsettling at first...soon get the hang of it. Searching my mental archives I realise I have never ridden a twist and go in 35 years riding ! Steering inputs are completely different with the bike going embarrassingly wide at roundabouts, too used to the superb steering on the GS - probably as near perfect that you can get on any bike, but soon sort that as well. Brakes are pedal bike like (two handlebar mounted levers) - they are superb though, hydraulic drilled discs all round. This little chugger pulls from zero revs in a very smooth way - on the A55 the bike keeps up with and can out drag most little hatches as you bowl along, 80 is easily (at too easily) achievable, with plenty in reserve, confirming the 100mph is there somewhere....little suspect in cross winds, all the weight is low down with about 20 acres of bodywork making a giant sail.

It scoots in town, auto box giving true point and squirt capability, fits between the bollards in Asda to short cut out into the public car park that borders our office. And bingo, it's wieldy enough to fit into through the gateway to the office piazza. Even Charlie would find the GS a handful in that scenario.

The tank was filled yesterday to the top (just over 3 gallons) - since then done 50 odd miles, the 8 segment fuel gauge has lost one segment....suggesting good fuel economy, I'll brim it when it gets to half full.

The seating position is great, feet forward (holy grail for bikes in the 80s) totally natural - bit of support from the King seat aided by my rucksack carrying my Office wear.
Glad the king seat's comfortable. That's something anyway. I expect you'll get used to the king handling...

:-)
Just been for a nocturnal ride - met a biking buddy in a Mickey Ds near Conwy - swapped bikes, me on his new Bonnie - which I have to say is a cracking bike, very, very complete bike well up to the standard that the foreign makers can cobble together, I can see why people take to this brand.

Rode the Mag back in the dark, lights are well up to the pace, looks as if it's running around 70mpg. I don't hang about !
It's a cracker, been riding it laid back style to and from work. It's any easy and very pleasant bike to ride - once your in the "zone" - now figured out the weird steering. The clue is in the tiny 13 " wheels ! More steering input. Easy to filter past the sweaty hordes in their tin boxes. Auto box is cushty.
 Yamaha Majesty 400.... - Kevin
>Easy to filter past the sweaty hordes in their tin boxes.

This member of the sweaty hordes drives in air-conditioned comfort - not dressed in leathers and a helmet.

Who's sweating most? :-)
Oh you've spoilt the image ! :-)

Mind you gave this some thought today, I still wear leathers to ride it. Donned a Hi Viz Jacket - feel a little invisible on it.
Oh I shouldn't worry about that Rob, most other people will actually notice you more than usual. As in "wtf's that?"...

:-))
>I still wear leathers to ride it.

One of the Italian guys at work is a bike nut and uses a scooter for his short commute - I think he wears Belstaff waxed cotton. Probably too embarrassed to be seen wearing his Ducati leathers.
Well, I fancy a set of waxed cotton - Like I had when I first started riding.....I could wear my Draggin Jeans (Kevlar knit with extra armour) but they're too hot and heavy for all day use...along with my rather camp Triumph Jacket.....:-) I don't care what other people think, if I did I'd have bought a Duke !
>I don't care what other people think, if I did I'd have bought a Duke !

His 'family' is from Sicily. He'll be in touch!
Well after a good long relationship a change of commute the Scoot left my garage last night for good. Sold within minutes of going on fleabay it headed south with its new owner.

I wouldn't buy another unless it was my only means of getting my leg over as old age beckons.

We went through a lot together, the mount of choice for my February camping trips. Reliable tough and comfortable and run with the minimum of maintenance. Odd going to the garage this morning and seeing its spot empty.

Odd little bike but we were mates !
 Yamaha Majesty 400.... - Ted

These big step-thrus have certainly helped us oldies continue biking.
I bought my Honda Silverwing 600 when I found difficulty with my gear changing leg. Kept me on the road and with a 0 to 60 time of 5.5 seconds, it kept up with the mob.

Furthest I did was Manchester/Chester/Dijon in one hit although I did give up on the return due to incessant rain this side of the Channel.

A 120 mph armchair !
Suppose you'll have to sell the parka now too?
Seriously the guy who bought it was wearing lightweight walking type waterproofs and canvas shoes and was riding to the South Coast... nuts.
It was cold on Thursday night too. Well it was here. Had to cross the Pennines yesterday, plenty of snow up there. Might have been milder going south but even so.
 Yamaha Majesty 400.... - Bromptonaut
>> It was cold on Thursday night too. Well it was here.

Cars frozen at least three mornings this week, including today. Thawed enough by 08:00 for wipers to shift stuff off screen but an hour earlier it would have needed proper de icing. Got a warning 'bong' and a snowflake on instrument display (temp <4C) on way home from work at 19:15 on Wednesday.

Tomorrow is the 1st of May.
Indeed, and we are due to be up a Welsh mountain tomorrow on't bikes. Fortunately none of us have any brass appendages...

;-)
 Yamaha Majesty 400.... - sooty123
I know, when i came home from work about 2:00 am it was frozen near solid took me a few minutes before it was safe to start driving.
I was asleep in a warm house, but my wife informs me that it was 2 degrees here at 2.00am. Not been a bad day here - sunny and warm out of the wind.
 Yamaha Majesty 400.... - legacylad
Currently cloudless here in upper Ribblesdale. Should be a fabulous sunset over Morecambe Bay.
Due diligence on the domestic duties front this am, gym whilst it rained, then long walk with ginger Lakeland over the tops.
New part time job tomorrow at 8am so no booze after 9pm
Latest Forum Posts