Motoring Discussion > One more comment and I am buying a prat plate Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 85

One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - RattleandSmoke
My new car has a dodgy registration number it spells a sexual act and then sex. I don't want to say exactly what the reg plate it is but it is must only be barely legal.

What would you do with such an emberassing plate? I will probably keep it and drive witha viel so nobody can see me but something has got me thinking, is an original number plate transferable? I might be worth some money to a certain type of prat.
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - R.P.
I'm sorry Rattle - see small print of T&Cs Item 31A sub-paragraph c - you must disclose details to a Mod by e-mail ! :-)
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - BiggerBadderDave
BJ69?
I don't want to spell out the plate on a public forum but the car is brand new and from Birmingham so it is not hard to work it out. You are on the right track though, but we are not in the 60's yet!

The first half is bad enough but the second half is even worse.

If it was on a Mini or some other flash car it may not be so bad, but it is on a Fiat Panda which makes it even worse.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sun 9 May 10 at 19:40
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - bathtub tom
It's probably worth more than the car. Try Greek street (is it still there?).
Edit the car has is under a PCP so I don't think the finance company would let me sell the plate. But if I can live with it and it is transferable it may be worth something. I reckon it may be worth around £1k but I can't see many people being vain enough to want it.
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - henry k
>>.... But if I can live with it and it is transferable it may be worth something.
>> I reckon it may be worth around £1k
>> but I can't see many people being vain enough to want it.
>>
Stop guessing and phone a few of the number plate selling companies.
When I scrapped my Sierra I saved the reg and called the companies.
Some said "Not interested" but one major one would either sell it on commision or buy it from me.
I sold it to them.
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - Skoda
lol i'd look into selling the sha*g** wagon for a profit Rattle, that's got to be worth something to someone!

Mine spells GAY when viewed in a rearview mirror :-(
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - Stuu
>>Mine spells GAY when viewed in a rearview mirror :-(<<

Atleast people can see you coming ;-)
I thought that was why, erm, people of an itinerant nature (OK mods?) had crystal balls.
I am just hoping it is just my silly young(ish) friends and that once I get it nobody will notice :). I just find it quite mausing as I never have any luck with cars, and now I have got worst possible plate I could imagine.

I just hope I do get the car tomorrow and the dealer dosn't mess me about.
It could be worse, I only had this hire car for a week:

tinyurl.com/29t99v7
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - MD
We need to know. Might be able to help young 'un. MD
AND the dealer should have told you of the Reg No. prior etc.
Prior to what? I havn't got the car yet, but he told the reg number as soon as it was registered. I do wonder if it is some sort of Brummy joke to get back at a manc though!

Does the person registering the car or is it just what ever the next sequence is from that local DVLA office?
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sun 9 May 10 at 20:22
When we bought the Colt we were offered a list to choose from.
I wonder if FIAT do things differently? I suspect it may be a bit of a joke on the dealers behalf though :(
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - -
When the hilux was registered we were offered the choice of about a dozen plates, none of any humour...pity swmbo would have enjoyed that.

Unless it's particularly Julian Clary type of term it could be quite an ice breaker with the young maidens Rattie, enjoy it for the laugh factor.
Well it is more likely to appeal to the Julian Clary type and I am currently trying to jokingly flog it to my gay cousin (hope he sees the funny side) but the reg works which every way err you know what I mean :).

I can't work out if my parents know what it means or not eithere way I used the police alphabet when I told it them!
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - VxFan
Wonder how many people who bought cars in Northampton are driving round in 08 registered cars with the first two letters being KN?
I think that would be even worse than mine!

BO08 would be another one too, not sure if the BO is combin ation is allowed though.
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - John H

>> BO08 would be another one too, not sure if the BO is combin ation is
>> allowed though.
>>

most of the rude BO10 combinations have been sold.
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - Lygonos
Remember back around 1997 P-reg, pretty much every 2nd Volvo had the last 3 letters "FUD" in their numberplates.

Snigger.

**EDIT** - Just checked a couple on ASKMID - P236FUD and P237FUD (randomly chosen by me) both Volvos. Better not check any more lest the Data Protection chaps come knocking :-)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sun 9 May 10 at 21:15
There's a couple of P~~~FUDs aroun here as well, blue Volvos.
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - Avant
UD was Oxfordshire. Maybe Thames Valley Police had a fleet of Volvos in those days (1996).

It's not BF is it Rattle? When the letters were first allocated, someone was too polite to issue BF, OO and WC, but they relented in the early 1960s when the letters were running out. I think BF went to Staffordshire and OO and WC to Essex.
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - Runfer D'Hills
Don't think I understand. What's a BF or an OO ?
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Sun 9 May 10 at 22:13
Humph - If you really need to ask..........!
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - J500ANT
IIRC you can get another normal number from DVLA for £25.
I do though, I must have led a sheltered life. I may well have experienced one or both or neither without knowing it of course. Just have to remain a mystery it would seem. Probably for the best.
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - Bagpuss
You're not alone Humph. I guess I'm getting old, or just lived outside the UK too long. I even tried Google. For OO I got Object Oriented programming. For BF I got a Messerschmitt.
Come to think of it, I had a car which had a plate ending BBF. Would that have caused a snigger behind the bike sheds then ? Just curious...
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - John H
>> Come to think of it, I had a car which had a plate ending BBF.
>> Would that have caused a snigger behind the bike sheds then ? Just curious...
>>

Just as BBD is to bigbaddave, bbf is to the TV cook Cradock.

One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - Harleyman
I always fancied a Ford Cortina which sported the registration OBO110X!
The last 3 letters of my Mk2 Cavalier were VWE.

I thought I had a smutty mind, but I haven't yet worked out what Rattle's number plate means.
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - L'escargot
Wear your new badge plate with pride.
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - Herr Sandwichmann
I wouldn't worry too much Rattle. You'll get a few comments to start with but the plate will become a term of endearment. Just enjoy the new car!

If you really can't live with it, do as has been suggested and find out how much it's worth. You never know, you might be offered a few K and then you can buy another motor...
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - Cliff Pope
I thought they pruned out combinations like that and didn't issue them?

Or is the DVLA vetting team composed of vicars and maiden aunts?
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Mon 10 May 10 at 08:13
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - WillDeBeest
OBO 110X is now on a black (pardon the superfluous adjective) Range Rover Sport that I see from time to time on the M40.

There are lots of BO plates in my part of the Midlands, and a BF in our garage. As far as I know, it's never raised a hint of a snigger, or even been noticed at all.

As for impressing the young ladies with Rattle's plate, if Mrs dB is typical, they won't even notice it's there. Sorry.
www.regtransfers.co.uk/main/secureordering/orderregmark.asp?web=1&searchtype=evpage2&searchpage=easyview®no=Y500%20RAT&plateid=0®price=440&index=1&st=

One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - Fenlander
>>>One more comment and I am buying a prat plate.

It rather seems they've issued you a prat plate and you need a non-dating one :-)

Perhaps it is a wind up by the dealer... maybe they've been reading this forum?? Remember Ling said she'd never lease you a car after she'd seen your posts.

I can't imagine what it reads... we will have to be told eventually.

One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - Old Sock
I think you do need to 'get real' R&S.

Do you really think the dealer gives a monkey's where you're from?

If the plate is so amazingly titillating, do you think the dealer would just give it away instead of profiting from it on the transfer market?
Last edited by: Old Sock on Mon 10 May 10 at 10:32
"One more comment and I am buying a prat plate."

If the cap fits ............ !
;-)
Rattie,

Why don't you (for 80 quid) transfer the plate over from the Fiesta onto the Fiat - may not be a "special" plate but it'll disguise the Brumie joke thing.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Mon 10 May 10 at 10:21
Because it is my dads car :) It is going to be kept on the road until at least the MOT expires.

As for the joke if I was a manc car dealer in a silly mood and I was selling a car to a brummy I may be inclined to do a bit of a joke. You see I haven't even met the sales person in person. I am picking up from a local dealer this afternoon.
The Fiesta will be allocated an age related plate and can stay on the road.
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - idle_chatterer
IIRC Leicestershire used to issue "AY" prefixes, there were definitely GAY xxxN registrations running around, I think that due to the increased usage of the term to describe sexuality rather than being happy that they didn't issue the prefix again after what would have been 1974 or 5.

As to the reg on the Fiat - wear it with pride, it'll be a talking point ?
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - Ted

BUM wasn't issued...or GOD, with the old style numbers. Things may have changed now.
I recall the Yorkshirr Police, many years ago, refusing a batch of Pandas 'cos they were all MUG***?....They were all re-plated.

Ted
Just as an aside, I was beginning to wonder what exactly anyone would do in reaction to a "funny" or odd reg number ? Rush up to you at the next set of lights, leap out of their car, knock on your window to get your attention and shout "you know your number plate almost spells a rude body part or has the initial letters of two rude words in it, pfnarr pfnarr ! " ???

Or maybe not eh ?
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - FotheringtonTomas
I don't understand what Rattle's number plate might spell.
I think he's just attention-seeking and it's time we called his bluff.

RattleandSmoke, if you won't tell us what the plate says, how can you expect us to believe you?
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 10 May 10 at 14:26
>>I think he's just attention-seeking and it's time we called his bluff.

Isn't he picking it up today?

He'll be far too worried about a stray speck of dust scratching the paint. :>)
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - CGNorwich
Any suggestions for Rattle's next crisis?
He's going to bash it into something.
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - Armel Coussine
>> He's going to bash it into something.

Pay no attention Rattolandroll, don't buy bad karma from this man...

Bashing it into something is a risk we all run and many of us have done it. But others lead charmed lives (even people who do a few miles from time to time)...

:o}

And by the way, why does BJ10*** denote a sexual act? Surely it isn't I who have led a sheltered life? I am baffled nevertheless.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 10 May 10 at 17:23
Of course that is my biggest worry, but I have fully comp, GAP etc and I shall be trying very careful. I won't take any risks like driving while tired etc.

B = BLOW and you can guess what the J stands for.

Ah, oh, right... never seen it referred to by its initials, the people I associate with generally calling a spade a spade as they do... Dumb of me.
So BJ10 makes people think of a "blow job"? Crumbs, they must have vivid and possibly over-developed imaginations.
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - Tooslow
Yup, I'm with you FT. Have you noticed how some people seem to think that their number plate means... (and then you get a long explanation of what it means)? Hmm, only if you squint and take your brain out though.

JH
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - Pat
Well FT, I'm with you on this one and I thought I was a woman of the world with my lorry driving background.
It's bugged me for the last 2 days and re-reading the thread from the top Rattle also says it spells SEX.

I really can't work out what BJ SEX is, am I missing something here?

Pat
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - Focusless
>> I really can't work out what BJ SEX is, am I missing something here?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BJ
(it's not Bubble Jet)
Well, I thought the word SEX wasn't allowed on number plates so it can't be that.

Pat
>> I really can't work out what BJ SEX is, am I missing something here?

Well it'll be a 10 plate, and someone else previously posted what the BJ acronym stands for.

Lets try and put it into layman's terms. A sexual act performed for a period of time (10 secs in this particular case)
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 13 May 10 at 10:20
>> A sexual act performed for a period of time (10 secs in this particular case)

I still don't understand. If it needs this much explanation, it's probably not worth the effort.
((blushing))

If I've read that right I can see that some embarrassment could be caused by the supposed lack of staying power!

Pat
You'd first have to associate "BJ" with that action. Then it would be difficult to sort out the other letters - they're not "SEX", so it must be some other convoluted string. ICNBA, really.
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - Mapmaker
I quite like G2POT which sits on a small hairdresser-type motor around where I work.

Caramel....I think it's like ' blow football ' but not !

Ted
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - borasport
I occasionally see POC 5 Y on a yellow Audi - what's that all about ? - is says 'POXY' to me :-)
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - Avant
I think Rattle is saying his number-plate sucks....
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - ....
Rattle are you going to change your alias to the Bear ?

When I was growing up there was an American TV series BJ and the Bear about a trucker and a chimpanzee, travelling across the US.
Thank you gmac. I can't get the annoying tune from that series out of my head now.

(so I'll share it with the rest of you - www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AsqKQptTdQ )
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - -
Thanks for sharing that, now you can have one that haunts me from my childhood.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=umvbqPUMoKg

and this gemwww.youtube.com/watch?v=ig3GcDBjQN4&feature=related

Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 10 May 10 at 21:40
If i get this in my head, it takes days to get rid of it:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNcx59q05_I&feature=PlayList&p=1CC6C57C165BE17A&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=41
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - Zero
Ok you all asked for it

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mehbMnHWac&feature=related
No, you asked for it first !

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KwbcEUrxKM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxYC350nqRM

Ted
Last edited by: silence of the cams on Mon 10 May 10 at 23:28

....and this one really stays in yer brain ! Bit of thread creep here, I discern.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmILOL55xP0

Ted
I tried yours Zero. I can tell you that that didn't work at all well with the Vodaphone dongle. I wasn't very surprised, but started to worry about the amount of stuff being downloaded. There's a 3 gigabyte or thereabouts limit for the monthly line rent. The thing is for text only really, like this for example.

Must stick to text in future and leave silly pix and minstrel carp for broadband. Actually wire is better than wireless too, one of those blue jobs with special plugs, Ethernet I think. That works best.

But all this internet stuff is a bit iffy compared to steam engines and even the better class of carburettor innit?
>> .......... Vodaphone dongle.

Don't mention dongle in this thread. RattleandSmoke will be saying it has sexual connotations!
;-)
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 11 May 10 at 07:05
>> Ok you all asked for it

I actually like that one. And Sally Field was quite a looker in her day.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 11 May 10 at 00:32
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - Lygonos
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdUeVAkzEas

Do I win a cookie ?
Happy days:) Z!

What a pleasant way to wake up.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Tue 11 May 10 at 04:44
>> Ok you all asked for it
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mehbMnHWac&feature=related
>>

Unfortunately, or should that be fortunately ? "This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment. It is no longer available in your country."
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - Zero
what country are you in? Its ok in my country. I just tried it.
Germany.
Sony and BMG are one company and BMG (being a German co.) don't like people not paying.
>>Thank you gmac. I can't get the annoying tune from that series out of my head now.

>>(so I'll share it with the rest of you - www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AsqKQptTdQ )

I was kind enough not to post the link :)
Has the tune stopped ringing around your head yet ?
Last edited by: gmac on Tue 11 May 10 at 08:54
 One more comment and I am buying a prat plate - Victorbox
One young lady around here thought her nice yellow new beetle looked cool with a combination of S L U T in the registration!
Latest Forum Posts