Motoring Discussion > Trailer test Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Cliff Pope Replies: 7

Trailer test - Cliff Pope
I have an old licence with many entitlements, but I am aware that for the younger generation passing their basic driving test after 1997 this is not so, and they will need to to take additional tests, eg to tow anything larger than a light trailer.

I have looked at the Directgov site and it seems that the same requirements for the car apply as those for the basic test - eg extra mirror, wide angle of view, headrests, etc. Also the specification for the trailer used for the test is quite restricting too - it has to be as wide as the car, at least as high, no rear view other than via the door mirrors.

In other words, it rules out taking the test with a small lightweight trailer (not high enough) or a horsebox (bodywork not wide enough) or my caravan (view through caravan front and rear windows), or my ex-army trailer (pin tow hitch, unbraked).

So how does a test candidate obtain a suitable trailer?
How does he get practice first - is an ordinary licence a provisional trailer licence?
Can he practice with a larger trailer with L-plates?

Has anyone any experience of taking this test?

Trailer test - Fenlander
All I know in conversation with them is that horsey youngsters have taken the test with a horsebox in the Cambs area.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 10 May 10 at 09:55
 Trailer test - Fenlander
It's a bit odd as the test regs do seem to be strictly as you say. However the trailer training centers ( like www.snsdrivertraining.co.uk/page_1228473440609.html ) all seem to train on a high box trailer narrower than a car. I can't think they'd train folks with these and then expect them to take a test in something wider.
 Trailer test - Mapmaker
A friend took it with a two-horse horsebox and an Isuzu Trooper. Monster thing, the hardest bit is that a delicate girl has to hitch the trailer up to begin with, and when the trailer is the size of a large box...

A full driving licence seems to act as a provisional trailer licence.
 Trailer test - bathtub tom
Would it be acceptable to block the windows of your caravan with cardboard just for the test?

It could be worthwhile speaking to your test centre.
 Trailer test - Pat
>> Monster thing, the hardest bit is that a delicate girl has to hitch the trailer up to begin with, and when the trailer is the size of a large box...<<

:) I like your style MM

Pat
 Trailer test - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> A full driving licence seems to act as a provisional trailer licence.
>>

It seems obvious it must, or how would someone practice with a larger trailer before the test? Yet the only reference I can find on DirectGov is in relation to HGV tractor vehicles and trailers.

Are there restrictions in towing a heavy trailer on a "provisional licence", if such exists? Does the driver need to be accompanied? Does a pre-1997 licence holder count as a qualified accompanist? Should the trailer, or the car, or both, have L-plates?

After my experience at the weekend moving my daughter's horse, it occurs to me the most useful thing to learn is how to persuade the animal to go up the ramp and stay in long enough to shut it. Hitching up and reversing round a corner are a doddle :)
 Trailer test - Fenlander
>>>it occurs to me the most useful thing to learn is how to persuade the animal to go up the ramp and stay in long enough to shut it up.

Now that we're good at. A horse that won't load is a real stress and can make a fool of you at events.... but so many are like it. Tell her we used the Western (USA) training methods that produced horses that would walk up the ramp calmly and then you'd throw the halter rope over their backs and they'd walk the rest of the way in unaided.

Of course the first part of this was to train them to be led properly in the first place... something we're bad at in the UK often ending up with horses that barge and drag you about.
Latest Forum Posts