Motoring Discussion > Driving to Hamburg Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Alanovich Replies: 3

Driving to Hamburg - Alanovich
Right then. There's ash in the air. My flight to Hamburg and back this Wednesday/Thursday may be jeopardy, but I have a back up plan. A Norfolk Lines ferry booked for small change a few weeks back as insurance.

So. If I have to drive from Dunkirk to Hamburg, does anyone on here have any adivce for routes to avoid/go for? Are there any particular roadworks out there to avoid, and any particularly fast and little known roads which can be recommended?

At the moment I'm thinking Gent/Antwerp/Essen/Hannover/Hamburg.

And there's a (goodly) part of me which will be quite pleased if the volcano does its worst and I get to embark on my first proper road trip since 2004 (Reading to Belgrade).
 Driving to Hamburg - Dr_Rubber
Done this trip a few times. Plenty of cameras in Belgium and Holland, and the traffic gets a bit tricky around the cities, but not too bad. From Essen to Hannover though can be a pig (roadworks), as is the A7 to Hamburg. What I would suggest if you are going to North Hamburg is avoiding the tunnel during rush hour - it can take a long time.

I would allow around 8 hours for the trip, less if traffic is kind and you have a fast car.

Joe
in Hannover
 Driving to Hamburg - ....
www.verkehrsinfo.de/

Check out the roadworks before you go.
Might be worth considering the 1 via Münster and Bremen. I'm not a fan of the 2.
 Driving to Hamburg - Hard Cheese

Used to drive up to Denmark a lot, Calais or Ostend, Gent, Antwerp, Eindhoven then at Venlo came off the autoroute and cut through Wesel rejoining the autobahn south of Munster thus cutting out the busy Ruhr area, then up past Osnabruck, Bremen, Hamburg, Kiel .... ....

Latest Forum Posts