Motoring Discussion > Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 65

Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - RattleandSmoke
Car turned up more less on time and I was sat there signing the documents until I noticed it was the wrong finance deal. This meant two hours worth of faxing/emailing all other stuff until I finally had the correct finance documents to sign.

Finally got to drive the car away about 40 minutes ago. Done 4.5 miles in it, it was on 82 when I got it.

First impressions:-
Very easy to drive with light precise steering
Engine no faster than the Fiesta but I have been told the FIRE needs a few thouand miles to deliver its best.
Its nice that I still have almost half a tank of petrol.
I can't work out how to use the wipers properly, the controls seem to be over complicated but I am sure I will get used to it.
Car feels solid no sqeeks or rattles, but the hand brake gaitor is poor quality.
The gear change clonks but that is very typical FIAT, the driver did mention it but said he has a Panda himself and he's had the same problem, he said it should quieten down with use. Its not a problem because the gear change is nice and precise.

It corners very well there was no roll going down the roundabout.

The indicators are a bit quiet.

Not having a rev counter is not an issue, I drove it perfectly smoothly from the second I got in. The clutch feels very nice.

Feels much bigger than it actually is from the drivers seat and the newly designed speedo is brilliant, it just sits on 30 nicely.

The brakes don't grap you like some modern cars do but I only had to tap them gently.

The steering is lovely, it is very light but also has feel unlike the Clio MK3 I passed in.

I haven't drive it enough yet so make a full test drive but after 100 miles or so I shall give it a better review.

A pic

i167.photobucket.com/albums/u141/amazingtrade/P1050207.jpg

It was taken through a dirty window hence the car looks like it needs clean, it is the window which needs cleaning. I shall take more pictures once the local chavs go down to the job centre.
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - Armel Coussine
What a harmless and innocent-looking little motor Sheikh Rattolo. Reminds me of that poor little Indian shoplifter who got eaten alive by a tattooed maniac he had been deliberately shut in a cell with by perverse and cruel screws...

Seems a bit thirsty though. Half a tank for 4.5 miles? How fast were you going for heaven's sake? I think we can take that 'sits nicely at 30' palaver with a ton or two of rock salt.

:o}
It was driven from Birmingham to Manchester, it had half a tank left when i picked it up from my local dealer round the corner. I haven't put any fuel in at all yet :).

Because it is an old design it dosn't look too brand new either, so I am hoping it won't stand out too much.

Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - Old Navy
Nice motor, Rattle. Just let it get dirty, it will blend into the scenery, and keep all 4 wheels on the ground until it is run in! :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 10 May 10 at 14:58
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - Runfer D'Hills
Looks great Rattle. Like the colour. I'd have thought it woud have come with roof bars ? Pity, you'd have got your bike on top with them. Maybe it'll fit inside of course with a bit of dismantling.

Happy motoring.
A better pic here, I just took this with my mobile phone rather than the SLR

i167.photobucket.com/albums/u141/amazingtrade/10052010075-1.jpg
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - -
I like that number plate Rattie, couldn't you have got a slightly pinker shade of blue to complement it..;)

Nice colour really.
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - bhoywonder
Nice looking girlie car (only kidding). Lets hope you get years of happy motoring out of it and that the chavs leave it well alone.
Were you blown off at the lights in it Rattle or were you able to hold your own ?
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - crocks
Now now Humph. Behave yourself. This is the wrong thread for comments like that. :-)
I didn't even try but it dosn't seem to have as much torque as my dads 1.3 OVH Fiesta but it is a brand new engine and on the FIAT forum they all say it needs time to settle in.

One thing I need to get used to is the steering is very light, skinny narrow tyres and an electronic PAS unit seems a bit over the top. A hydraulic PAS system may have worked better.
All torque then ?
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - Dieselfitter
Straight over the head, Humph?
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - midlifecrisis
>> Straight over the head, Humph?
>>

I think it's more of a major 'WHOOSH!'
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - John H
>> All torque then ?
>>

Not likely, what with a mouthfull.
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - Pat
Well, I know what you're talking about:)

Nice car Rattle.

Pat
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - Stuu
Nice one mate, when you realise how much its costing you to buy, I will have a lovely Carina just waiting for you ;-)
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - Ted

Never mind that Stu, Ratty. I have the ideal car for a discerning young man on the threshold of life Just bought a '96 1300 Fiesta, HCS engine, 7 months ticket but all work done and not run since due to insurance costs. Didn't have to go into 3 figures for it.

Could be yours for a very modest outlay !

In the meantime, while you're making your mind up, enjoy the Fiat...it looks nice.

Ted
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - BiggerBadderDave
Good for you Rats, there's no feeling like popping the cherry of a new car.

Is there a really obvious blank space where the aircon button would have been?
Good man Stu. Carina's a bit of a good sport is she ?
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - VxFan
>> A better pic here

Why has such a small car got such massive headlights?
I imagine its the law. The mirrors are massive too again due to a change of law.

Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - paulb
New Orleans blue. Excellent choice. Also looks well on 57-plate 100HPs ;-)
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - Old Sock
Looks good - shame about the scratch on the rear wheel arch :-(
Last edited by: Old Sock on Mon 10 May 10 at 16:17
Only joking, of course :-)

Just enjoy it and try not to worry quite so much!
But don't forget to keep those hypersensitive ears open for the slightest untoward squeak, rattle or creak, not to mention any sound that suggests heavy breathing or panting.

You can't be too careful. At the slightest sign of any of the above, take the car back and ask the best-dressed and stupidest looking salesman what he thinks the trouble is. You won't be disappointed. He'll think of a really unconvincing way of denying that anything is wrong.

Don't believe him. You can't be too careful.

BOO!

Only kidding.

Or am I? Only you can decide.
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - bathtub tom
That's the number plate all the fuss was about?

Boris Johnson's been lumbered with it for life. ;>)
Just taken it out again for the last time today (tired now just want a nice quiet night watching the telly) and made some observations:-

1) The driving position is brilliant, it sits much higher than superminis of the 90's which makes access very easy and gives a very good view of the road.

2) The seat seems to have a lot of lumber support.

3) The standard speakers seem to have been improved, I put on my favourite smiths CD and was surprised that it sounded ok, the head unit it is a basic Blankaupt unit.

4) It has one touch electric windows - again don't think the pre 2010 active had this.

5) I had to get out of a tight space in a car park, I dreaded it but it was so easy a 3 year old could do it. I haven't used the city steering mode yet, I don't see the point of it.

You can see where it has been built down to a price but it is a very nice car to drive.

Another thing I like about it is there is not a single blank button on the dashboard any where. They have very cleverly designed it to avoid the need to use blanks.

There is no trip computer which is another reminder that is a basic car.

Boot is very big considering its tiny size. It handles like a mini but it feels much better inside, the doors go clunk rather than ting and everything feels very solid. Some of the plastics are very FIAT but the door cards etc made of a solid plastic material which would be very easy to clean.

As for cost the monthly payments are a lot but I am expecting to get at least three years where I don't need to spend a penny other than loan, fuel and servicing.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Mon 10 May 10 at 16:42
"I put on my favourite smiths CD and was surprised that it sounded ok....."

That explains a lot :-)
Sheikh Rattolo: forgive me for teasing you about little noises (I do think you probably have sensitive ears being a hi-fi freak).

But if I may give a serious piece of advice, it is this: since the car drives well and suits you, give it some long warm drives as soon as you can. It won't benefit from being driven about pretty well cold all the time, just a mile or two around the back-doubles of Longsight or wherever. Go to Wales or Scotland or come down here to spend some money and keep the economy going. Drive on the road as fast as it says you can. Change the oil and filter when recommended. That way it will free up and won't get all gummed and fluffy the way even modern cars do if used only for shopping and never treated to a decent canter. Cars thrive on proper use and get sulky if neglected.

I'm not talking Italian tuneup here, just a bit of gentle exercise. Forgive me if Ted or someone has already sent you a printed schedule.

I like almost all cars, and they are very nice when new as BBD points out in his inimitably coarse fashion. I hope you enjoy it. Go carefully.
>> Just taken it out again for the last time today (tired now just want a nice quiet night watching the telly)

What ???? No, no, no !!! It's new car day, tradition has it that you must drive it for hours for no reason at all.

It's a light night, get up in those there moors in your new steed. Get to know it. Take a flask of strong coffee with you if you're tired. Got to be better than feet up in front of Coronation Enders or whatever other tat is on tonight !
Will take it for a spin tomorrow, far too tired now, I only got four hours sleep.

I wouldn't bother with Longsight, that's the place to run in an armoured Hanomag half-track now.

Ted

What on earth are you saying, Humphwich ? It's Blanche's funeral tonight !
No North-Westerner worth his salt will be away from the telly !

Ted
Blanche is dead ?

No really ?

Who's Blanche ?
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - crocks
>> No North-Westerner worth his salt will be away from the telly !

So the roads will be empty. Even more reason to go for a thrash.
>> far too tired now, I only got four hours sleep.

That's good sense Sheikh. You aren't a person born on wheels like Humph or me, and you seem if I may say so to be a nervous person. So don't drive when you are knackered.

You want to be feeling good: relaxed, cheerful, vigilant and intellectually active at all times. Analysis of the roads and traffic around you is endlessly fascinating and beneficial.

Hasta manana!
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - Mike Hannon
Rattle - enjoy! ;-))

What an inspired choice of colour - well it was earlier today...
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - Zero
Isnt it nice to have a brand new car. No feeling quite like it.
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - Dog
Nice colour comradeski - Mr's Dog likes it as well, so it could bj a bird puller.
Carina's already teed up by the sounds of things.
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - Alastairw
Tis indeed a nice colour. Fiat do some quite nice roof rails for those - a colleague has them. Something for cyclists to hold on to when alongside at the lights.
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - sajid
rattle congrats you got your motor, i drove a grande punto before, nice seats small interior, just drive it gently for a few thousand of miles when it beds in, what slr camera you got rattle i just bought a nikon d5000

since it new its gonna have some faults after you driven it you better take it back rattle and get a 100 hp panda more fun!!

have fun rattle !!

Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - BobbyG
Nice car Rattle, will you be changing your name now?

New beginning and all that?
Yeah but you cant call him "smooth" now can you?
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - Skoda
Like the colour, looks cracking!
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - Netsur
Looks very smart.

Enjoy!
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - nyx2k
>> But don't forget to keep those hypersensitive ears open for the slightest untoward squeak, rattle
>> or creak, not to mention any sound that suggests heavy breathing or panting.
>>
>> You can't be too careful. At the slightest sign of any of the above, take
>> the car back and ask the best-dressed and stupidest looking salesman what he thinks the
>> trouble is. You won't be disappointed. He'll think of a really unconvincing way of denying
>> that anything is wrong.

ive felt like saying that for the last 2 yrs of rattle bangernomics.

nice car and nice colour.
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - ....
To echo the other sentiments on here, enjoy the car.
Nice colour too, I do like metallic blues.
Last edited by: gmac on Tue 11 May 10 at 12:06
Thanks, some alloys would complete the look but I am not spending any more money on it. I shall buy some mats and leave it as that.

Just looking into the finance deal closely and it is actually costing me just £500 more than it would have been through scrappage. It shows just what a rip off the scheme was.

I hope to drive it quite a bit this afternoon :).

I think the colour is really nice too, it actually looks better than I expected it to. It has that typicaly cheeky FIAT look about it.

The engine bay also looks very simple you can see everything ;) Although I don't expect I will need open the bonnet very often - only to check levels.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Tue 11 May 10 at 12:14
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - madf
Like the colour. The registration is: well... cough...splutter .. not very PC..
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - Fursty Ferret
Did you test drive one before you bought it?
Test drove my mates which is more less the same car just a year older.

Gone a bit further in it today and had to play about with different driving positions. I've noticed the gear ratios are set up a bit odly, third seems useless where all the power seems to be 2nd. So 0-30 seems to be

1st 1 second
2nd - 2 or 3 seconds
3rd 1 second
4th 1 second

In 2nd it feels like a little pocket rocket and it revs very sweetly so it dosn't feel like you're trashing it.

The brakes are best described as poor by modern standards, they feel no different at all to my 10 year old Corsa or my dads 13 year old Fiesta (which do have new pads and discs). I am hoping they will get sharper as they bed in.

The steering is just wonderful, I can park in places with ease which would have been a faff in the Fiesta. I can turn in the road with one steer where as the Fiesta would require a 3 point turn.
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - BiggerBadderDave
"Test drove my mates which is more less the same car just a year older."

You can be Panda Buddies.
Hehe, it is the main reason i couldn't by a white one, it would just look too odd, and white just looks like a scrappage special because it was the 'free' colour.
Done 30 miles in it now, still loads of fuel left and its actually very nippy once you learn how to use the gears. The trick is do everything in second (at about 3000rpm) that is where all the power is. Got from 20 to 30 uphill in what felt like 2 or less seconds in 2nd gear.

I am also loving the high up driving position gives a much better view of the road, also very big mirrors and not too many blind spots. It really does seem the perfect car for the city.

There is no rear anti roll bar so things move about a bit on a boot so I may order a boot protection kit.

I've also had a good look under the engine, lots of greese on the welding and it is very simple. The header tank for example is connected directly to the radiator which does away with the need for pipes.

The clutch and brakes have seperate fluid containers and the air vents work like no other car I have been in. The more I drive it for the more I notice the little details. I've had a good look at the speakers and they appear to be 8inch woofers with a tweeter in the middle which is very impressive for city car, but then they have done it on the rear too. I rarely drive listening to music but I like to have it on if I am early for a job or something.

The only real downsides so far is the pedals are quite close together, there is no room to rest my left foot and the brakes are nothing special.
30 miles?

Jeez rattle, when I get a new car it has hundreds of miles on it in less than 24 hours.
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - Redviper
when I get a new car it has hundreds of miles on it
>> in less than 24 hours.
>>

Agreed, I did about 250miles + the very afternoon I bought my car, just "went out for a drive"

I collected a brand, spanking new Punto diesel in 1997 as drove from Manchester to Cheltenham and back that afternoon.
Gave it a taste of the whip on the M'Way too.

Ted
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - R.P.
500 miles in a weekend on my new bike when I had it !

Really pleased that you're enjoying it - has it got a locking petrol cap ?
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 11 May 10 at 21:45
Ive done 200 miles in my Carina and that only went on the road yesterday! Get it out and drive it lad.
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - VxFan
>> and the brakes are nothing special.

Most probably because they haven't bedded in yet. It'll be the same as fitting new pads and disks to an old car.
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - -
Could be the brakes are meant to be firmer, some new cars are stupidly over servoed, though they should get better as they bed in as the chaps have said.

Yeah I remember when I first had the new pads and discs fitted to the brakes on the Fiesta didn't feel as good as they do now.
I see your post in the other place didnt get much response. Interesting...
 Finally got my Panda after two hours of faff - Harleyman
>> The only real downsides so far is the pedals are quite close together, there is
>> no room to rest my left foot

A perennial FIAT problem; the only one I've ever driven which didn't suffer from this was wifey's old Punto, even that was better driven in trainers than rigger boots.
Latest Forum Posts