Motoring Discussion > Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 82

Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - Runfer D'Hills
I know you can trawl through Glasses etc to get an idea but I was wondering ( seriously ) if there is anyone reading with good trade knowledge who would care to venture an estimate for me please?

I have for sale a Ka

March 2004
Base model
Solid Blue/Black
FSH
12 mths MOT
6 mths tax
guaranteed no damage
good tyres
28k miles
everything works

What would be a fair price to shake a hand on ?
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - Bellboy
these cars sell well if they have toys and colour coding
ie cd player
leccy windows
painted bumpers
as yours is basic you need to do a 30 mile autotrader search of similar models mileage and punt somewhere in the same band
mileage works for you ,make a big point of it as most base models were hacks for failed saleswomen
Heh heh...I'll tell her that !
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - Iffy
I would think PAS or not PAS would make a difference.

Did they all have it by this model year?
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - RattleandSmoke
Pretty sure by 2004 it would have had PAS and ABS as standard. The rest of the car is as poverty spec as you can get though, my friend had a W reg one. It didn't even have a temperature gauge.
Ours does have PAS but no ABS strangely. Took OG's advice. Looks like 2.5 - 3K range

If only I knew someone in the Cheshire area who wanted such a thing.....
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Thu 25 Feb 10 at 20:27
Manchester's quite close to Cheshire, isn't it?

And the fallout from such a sale would provide endless threads for the new forum.

There wouldn't be any danger of that, unless the OP has put a load of rad weld int he header tank to try and hide head gasket problems!

Stick it in at £2800 and I bet you it will be sold by Monday :)
I usualy like higher spec cars but I admit if I saw this local it would catch my eye even though its a girly car. I don't have that amount in cash though but I do like the milleage too, it seems enough for it to have properly been used but not enough to have proper wear etc.

I really need a 5 door car too for ease of access but it does sound like a very nice car.

You will have no trouble selling it anyway I am sure there must be a big demand for basic low spec cars with low milleage at the moment.
Might just take it to the auction. Couldn't be doing with a home sale.
I've only ever really sold scrap cars to traders for less than £300 a pop but I can imagine at a higher price range you will get all the tyre kickers and time wasters. You will get people wanting to see it then tell you they don't have the cash and they are waiting for the banks decision or going to see it and then saying I wanted one with electrical windows. Another classic example is "I thought it was a 1.6" or "I thought it had ABS" even when the add clearly states the spec.

Could you not ask if a local car trader wants it? May work out cheaper than an auction.

There is also webuyanycar.com it may be worth a look into.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - jc2
PAS became standard 1998 IIRC-ABS became a legal requirement in 2004 but March registration was probably a 2003 build.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - Fenlander
I'd guess nearer £2500 private.

I looked at auction to sell my Mondeo but the fees (and loss of control over final price) killed it so I sold privately.

If the Ka was worth about £2500 a buyer at auction has to allow for the buyers fees so they'd have to bid £2200 or so. Your fees on that would be £300 so only £1900 received. £600 is a lot to lose just to save someone coming to the house.

I usually *qualify* buyers on the phone and don't let the dodgy ones view... I say it doesn't sound the car for them.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 26 Feb 10 at 10:10
Well....it's a a bit of a moot point now. "She" aquaplaned this PM and ended up upside down in a ditch. Had to be cut out of what remained of the Ka. Fortunately nothing but pride and metal damaged.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - BobbyG
Oh dear Humph, not good. Pass her on the thoughts of all on here.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - R.P.
I hope she's OK Humph......easily done -
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - rtj70
That's one way of getting rid of a car - bit extreme I must say.

Seriously I hope she is okay and only a little shocked at worst! Next car needs to be a safe one that might avoid such aquaplaning then!!!!
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - BobbyG
Humph, does your missus know how mauch stress she will have caused Rattle??

"Some people were trying to get me to buy this car and it suddenly got written off.
Is it my fault?" :)
oh dear
glad she is ok
I am sorry to hear that was only talking about this car to a friend this evening was saying if I had the cash I would have gone to see it but with not having access to that sort of cash it would have been unfair.

Main thing is your wife is ok, the insurance will sort out payment for the metal.

Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - midlifecrisis
Sounds lie an insurance job to me!!! Where's the fraud hotline!!!!!!!!!
i think rattle set it all up hoping just a headlight was broken and he was going to kick the Humph D'bout while they were down
well that plan backfired young rattle me lad and mid life has you sussed
go out have that drink it may be your last via a real glass ;-)
Thanks for all the thoughts everyone. She's pretty shaken and a bit bashed about but otherwise OK. Irony is it's a road she uses daily and she is an excellent driver. Just lost it on standing water she didn't know was there as she came around a tight bend. She'd even slowed to about 35 mph ( in a 60 limit ) because it was sluicing it down apparently.

She hardly drinks normally but she's now on her third Scotch....

Got to find out where the remains of the car are now. Tomorrow will do.

I was about two hours away when I got the call to say she was in hospital. They wouldn't say much on the phone except that a doctor was looking after her. It was a long journey but at least it ended with good news. Don't care about the car.
>> Got to find out where the remains of the car are now. Tomorrow will do.

Make sure it's found and all sorted. An insurer for a car belonging to my brother once claimed thought it was on his brother's drive. I was a student in Manchester at the time (Halls of Residence) and the other brother in South Wales. Accident was near Bracknell and the car had overturned! Storage fees soon amounted.

All the best.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - -
Strewth Humph, we are very pleased the good woman is shaken not stirred.

Nasty business rolling over.

This would be a suitable replacement imo..;) can't find a tinyurl sorry.

www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan%20car/toyota/landcruiser+70/3019003/
I would guess replacing the car is is the last person on the OPs mind though.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - Crankcase
Best wishes to you both Humph. Scary stuff.
Mrs D'bout and D'bout jnr have gone to bed now. Everything getting more normal again. Thanks again for the kind thoughts. Today was not fun. How fragile our little existances are.
. How fragile our little existances are.
>>

True indeed, a hell of a day for you all.

When swmbo had her nasty prang in a Landcruiser very similar to the link above it shook me to the bones, maybe i took her for granted before being as tough as she seems but the outcome could have been so different, never again have i assumed anything.

I imagine it will be an emotional weekend for you and the family, all the best.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - Ted
>> . How fragile our little existances are.

Our little systems have their day;
They have their day and cease to be:
They are but broken lights of thee,
And thou, O Lord, art more than they.

Glad she's OK.might need some TLC tomorrow, though.
PS..I thought the crash was going to be later in the week ! :-)

Ted
Profound Ted...
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - Ted

It's a gift, Rob.
I bet Tennyson never dreamed he'd be copied and pasted one day !

Ted
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - smokie
Hows does it go on Facebook?

1 people likes this "PS..I thought the crash was going to be later in the week ! :-)"

Top stuff...
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 27 Feb 10 at 01:57
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - Dave_
Yes, thoughts with you both Humph. We all have a fear of receiving that unexpected phone call, glad she's sleeping safe and sound at home with you tonight mate.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - Vicar of Bray
Glad your wife is OK, Hump.
It (the roll over) caused me to remember a trip to a scrapyard last year, where i was studying galvanizing on different cars. There was a Discovery in there that had seemingly done a barrel roll on tarmac, without coming into contact with anything solid.

I remember riding on purpose on a Vespa 150 - into a large 6" deep flood - for a laugh - as you do aged 16yrs. That caused the most severe brown pants moment ever - and I think it actually `planed` on the foot-boards for a few seconds.
Last edited by: Kharon on Sat 27 Feb 10 at 04:31
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - tyro
Like the rest, I'm glad that your wife was unhurt, Humph.

I remember when I was a young driver, I had a rather nasty bump, which left the car in a big mess, but didn't leave a mark on me. My pride was severely dented, and I felt like a right idiot. I found it rather cold comfort when people said "At least you are OK - that's the main thing."

But today, if it was my wife that emerged unscathed from a written off car, I would be hugely relieved, to put it mildly. And to be honest, if I walked free, I would be very glad. I think it's the difference between being married and single.

By odd co-incidence, my wife had a nasty skid when driving on snow yesterday. No harm done - but it could have been bad. And the car did have winter tyres!

Last edited by: wildernessman on Sat 27 Feb 10 at 08:46
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - jc2
Glad she's OK but please let us know what you are offered by the insurance co. when they finally get round to it.
I think the replacement for the Ka will almost certainly be a bigger vehicle now. Thankfully only shaken and not hurt.
Well, she's fairly stiff and sore today but otherwise in good form. My son thinks his mum is pretty cool having been cut out of the car by firemen ! We've found out where it is so going soon to reclaim some belongings. As fortune would have it we still have the old Mondeo estate "spare" so there's no need to rush out and buy a replacement straight away, although I think that will be on the cards soon.

I'm curious to see if one of the back tyres is deflated. Sounds like the back end broke away which despite the weather seems odd. The tyres are fairly new so I'm puzzled really. Having said that, it's a road notorious for diesel spills being in very close proximity to a haulage company. Water + diesel + bend + a moment's inattention.......

There but for the grace etc......
>> Well she's fairly stiff and sore today but otherwise in good form.

Thats the news we've been hoping for Hump...give the good woman our kindest thoughts from the odd bunch here.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - Zero
Oh dear - only just read this. Glad to hear she is ok. It is strange, its very hard to brake the back end away on a Ka, being so short. My bets on severe understeer off the road.
I think I agree Zero. Went to look at the car yesterday. All the tyres are still inflated. In fact the wheels are about the only part still recognisable. How the heck she got out of that uninjured is beyond me. A miraculous escape. Understeer brought on by standing water / aquaplaning / greasy road is my conclusion. She'd not have braked mid bend, she knows better than that and had slowed to allow for the conditions, but obviously not enough. Fortunately, nothing else was damaged, the car had simply rolled into a ditch.

Don't care about any of it anymore to be honest. Just feeling grateful that whatever happened we are almost back to normal.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - bathtub tom
I've been behind a Ka that's lost it's back end.

The driver touched a kerb, steered away and braked, overcorrected the subsequent back end slide and ended up driving straight up the kerb.

Not that I'm suggesting anything like that happend here.

Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - teabelly
Could be something to do with the new tyres? Perhaps their handling characteristics are different to the old ones? If the new ones went on the back and fronts didn't have as much tread then front would aquaplane first while the backs were gripping.

As long as she's ok. That's what matters.
The new ones, against my better judgement I have to say, were on the back. However, I am simply not going to get into that old one here. Suffice it to say I'll continue to believe that the theory of more rubber to the rear remains flawed.
Hope they're less sore this morning.
...Sounds like the back end broke away...

I hired a Ka years ago and was going down the motorway at a good lick when I came to a barely visible dip in the road.

Scary moment as the back end became much lighter than the front, and I veered involuntarily towards the hard shoulder.

Fortunately, my arms being frozen in the straight ahead position was sufficient to bring matters under control.

I concluded at the time the rear end of my little Ka was a bit light - perhaps not helped by my bulk being in the front - and that cruising at 80mph was too fast.

Mine were entirely different circumstances to Mrs H, but I doubt she would have turned over had she been driving the Mondeo or Humph's Qashqai.

i saw a car do a big full 360 in front of me the other week
i saw the diesel on the road
i sometimes used to see how these small cars reacted if i elk tested them and the worst was always the saxo one of the better ones is a fiesta/ka but if you lose cohesiveness you lose it ,thankfully in mrs Humph D'bout"s case she found a nice soft ditch
>> Hope they're less sore this morning.

Still a bit sore and stiff but she's just grabbed the keys to the Mondy and shot off to the supermarket. Nerves are fine. Despite looking delicate and girly she can be a tough cookie. I took the risk of asking her not to break it. I can't type her response on a public forum !
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - Netsur
but we're in the new pub now Humph; they don't know who we are, so you can spill the beans...

Glad that she is feeling sufficiently well both to get back in the car and give you a tongue lashing for even suggesting that she should be careful!

Now - about that A-class you were considering. You don't fancy changing her mind for a slightly used XC90 do you?
I can't type her response on a public forum !

Anything to do with an artisan shoe maker ?

>> Anything to do with an artisan shoe maker ?

More or less !
She'd have it in a heartbeat I'm sure. I suspect though that it would overstretch my tightwad scots sense of value ! Are you going to sell it? What would you have instead?
What would I replace the XC90 with? No idea. I'm just not falling in love with it.

Maybe I will have a closer look again at the Tribeca or just defy Espadrille and get an S-Max. Her complaint about the S-Max is that too many women drive them to school but we know at least three times as many women who drive the XC90. In fact I am the only male I know who drives an XC90 and we know at least 12 women who do. Maybe I am getting in touch with my feminine side?? Or maybe all these women have arm muscles bigger than mine?
Espada,

Not sure of your budget, but our old friend HJ gives the 2010 S-Max an absolute rave review, particularly the auto gearbox.

I'd post a link, but I expect you know where to find it. :)

Ha!

Yes I read HJs review and it was very good, wasn't it? I think I will take a look sometime in the next few weeks. It's just sods law that the cars that really interest me are brand new models (e.g. 2010 Santa Fe or S-Max) so they will not be cheap.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - Dieselfitter
Back to topic for a moment....HD, I was going to comment on the expected value of your Ka. But first, I'm glad to hear HD junior (or was it Mrs. HD? bit confused by the postings) was not too badly scathed by stuffing it into a ditch. My daughter has a 2004 base Ka, with a similar description to yours, except it's silver and mileage is double yours. FFSH, no accidents (yet!), regularly valeted by yours truly etc. Point is, we paid £5K for the car brand new from a Ford dealer and a return of around 50% at 6 years old would be remarkable. It's been a good car, very basic but reliable, but she's starting to tire of it. A Mini is now top of the shopping list.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - Statistical Outlier
HD, very pleased to hear that no serious injury resulted - really quite scary. We replaced my gf's Ka a few months ago because we were concerned about crash performance and her commute had dramatically lengthened. Very good news.

Anyway, in case it's of more general interest, we sold a 53 plate base spec Ka with metallic paint and an after-market CD head unit (nothing chav, just a new Pioneer unit) for £2k privately. Had a FSH and was in very good condition, given we only paid £5k for it 6 years previously we were very pleased indeed.

G
...We replaced my gf's Ka a few months ago because we were concerned about crash performance...

I wonder about the stability of any small car, and have had a Ka incident which I posted earlier in the thread

On the other hand, the crash protection of Humph's Ka has done it's job because Mrs H walked away without serious injury.

The KA had a 3 star NCAP rating which is actually pretty good for a small car like that, especially one designed from a 1989 Fiesta which in turn dates back to 1976.

The main issue which seems to affect the Ka is rust and this will affect its safety as the car gets older. It is the same with my dads Fiesta.

However compared to the Rover 100 the Ka performs like a Merc S class in a crash.
How about a Mondeo estate Rattle ? Not in the first flush of youth mind......

Kidding !!!!!

;-))
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - Statistical Outlier
Rattel, completely agree, it was excellent for its time, and still made a pretty good town car even now. Great fun to drive - far better than most cars we tried even now.

Trouble is, a 25 mile commute up the A38, no hard shoulder and a big accident every few weeks, meant we wanted something that gave her a bit more of a chance should the worst happen.
I am only really trodding along at 25-30mph in city roads so safety is not a major issue but if I was doing motorway type journeys then I wouldn't consider anything less than a Mondeo or Focus sized car.

Smaller cars in some ways are safer where I live because you can nip them into tight spots easier.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - oilburner
>> Smaller cars in some ways are safer where I live because you can nip them
>> into tight spots easier.
>>

You haven't been shunted from behind whilst waiting at lights then?

I have. Volvo S80 1 - 0 Citroën Saxo.

Volvo barely scratched, Saxo destroyed all the way back to the cabin.

I only wish I had a camera with me to show the contrast!

Of course, if it had been a bus that hit me...
Saxos are made out of plastic though. My dad crashed his Punto into a 106 once. We all got out the car uncasthed, the 106 was in pieces and the guy was carried of in a stretcher.

I am not doubting the safety of the Volvo, its just the Saxo is known to be a very unsafe car according to german insurance companies. I think the other site mentioned the car had a high death rate too.
I can see why, if they'd hit me any faster than the 20 odd mph (that I'd estimate it was) then neither of the front occupants would have been walking again.

I don't doubt the Saxo/106 are particularly unsafe small cars, but I'm just making the point that simply because you're always in town, doesn't make you any safer from lunatics and people who forget to brake!

Isn't it the mantra that motorways are our safest roads per mile travelled?
Yeah until it goes wrong. My dad had a Range Rover go into the back of his Punto once not sure how fast it was going though it was fixed under the Range Rovers insurance, my dad again wasn't injured.

Motorways are safer but if you do have an accident it is often tragic, of course people die in accidents in the city too but its more likely to be a minor bump.

I think country roads by far the most dangerious.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Mon 1 Mar 10 at 15:36
> Of course, if it had been a bus that hit me...

Like Altea Ego was you mean? He went all funny after that.

The point being, where and how you get hit by the bigger thing has more bearing on your survivability.

For me a thick skull helped when the roof of a Fiesta got crushed inwards by an HGV... Three inch scar on the back of my head.

>> The point being where and how you get hit by the bigger thing has more
>> bearing on your survivability.
>>

Yep, and the bigger the thing you're in, the better your odds, no matter what.
After my accident in a Fiesta, for motorway journeys etc I would not have replaced my Mondeo with anything much smaller than a Mondeo. The more metal the better.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - Avant
So glad Mrs H is all right. That's all that matters isn't it.

But - dare I wonder what - before the accident - she was thinking of replacing it with?

If she wants to feel secure but still needs a small car, she could do a lot worse than a Polo. But one can understand if she now wants somethoing bigger and 4wd.
See "Does this car Exist" Avant. Thanks for your thoughts.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - Alanovich
Just caught up with this thread Humph. My thoughts are with you and your good lady. So glad all is well.

A similar thing happened to me in an MG Metro many moons ago, aquaplaned in an appalling downpour whilst exiting the A46 on to the M40 southbound near Warwick. The car hit a lamp post and rolled down and embankment, resting on its roof finally.

The lamp post had taken the fuel filler cap off, and the windscreen popped out on the first roll, so the cabin (and me) started getting sprayed with petrol. Time slowed down, and I remember thinking that I'd go up like a rocket if it weren't raining so hard.

A white van stopped on the hard shoulder above me, and the driver ran down the bank and managed to open the tailgate and pull me free, once I'd managed to undo the seat belt, which had undoubtedly saved my life. He then disappeared and I never got the chance to thank him. I have no idea who he was. I had a small bruise on one knee.

I don't know how, but someone must have called the police as they arrived to help pretty quickly (these were the days before mobile phones were common).

I still have no idea why it happened so suddenly.
>> MG Metro ... no idea why it happened so suddenly

Wasn't there an issue with petrol leaking out of the low-mounted filler cap on MkI Metros? It then went under the offside rear wheel causing the car to spin or overturn. ISTR several police Metros crashing (some with fatal results, sadly) before the design was changed so the filler was higher up. The police discovered the problem first, as most private Metro drivers back then didn't try to corner their new cars on the door handles.

Compare the 1988 Metro Turbo with the 1990 Metro Advantage in these pictures to see how the petrol cap was relocated:

www.metroownersclub.org/austin_metro_1985_1990.html
An interesting Mk 1 Metro fact:

The front and rear bumpers were identical, or at least the metal bit was, the end caps may have been different.

Interesting, Dave. My Metro was an E reg, and had the filler cap in the higher position. I think. It was one of those all-white jobs, with the scarlet seat belts. My mates thought it very effeminate and ribbed me mercilessly. Even those who didn't have cars.

I liked it and the photos in that link have bought back happier memories of my time with it. Thanks.
Last edited by: Alanović on Tue 2 Mar 10 at 11:24
I've had 3 Metros over the years, none of them as low-mileage as some examples on that link though! (B-reg, 4,862 miles, MoT 2010?!) One of my friends had a very similar example white MG to yours, strangely I can remember being impressed by the interior lights underneath the dashboard to light up the red carpet in the footwells.

Did your MG Metro have the metric alloy wheels? I vaguely seem to recall they were fitted with early run-flats... Dunlop Denovo possibly? Like these:

www.mgcars.org.uk/mgm/images/MetroAlloy_AJM1138.JPG

I don't know if there was any issue there with outright cornering grip that might have had an influence on your A46 "off"...

Sorry Humph, for hijacking your thread... Could a moderator split it and create a new one please? :-)
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Tue 2 Mar 10 at 11:32
Dave, my Metro had hub caps. The white ones with MG logos. I remember this well as I used to keep them in the boot rather than on the wheels, as I was living in a pretty dodgy part of Nottingham at the time (just off Radford Boulevard for the locals).

I moved to different accomodation after I'd seen a scrote trying to open the car with a screw driver out of my flat window. A hastily shouted oath and he was away, but that was it for me. I had to find a slightly more salubrious location (and got as far as Lenton Boulevard! Yes, I was a student, groan). Also, having local kids setting fire to the flat's rubbish bin and throwing it at the door was another hint.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - What price to shake a hand? - Focusless
[Apologies for the interruption, but Alanović - good to see you here, and you might be interested in this
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=5&t=169 ]

EDIT: hmmm.... looks like copy/paste doesn't work on foreign characters...
Last edited by: Focus on Tue 2 Mar 10 at 12:23
Thanks for that, Focus! I'll take a look at the Eon website, I suppose one can switch online?

Sorry about the foreign character, it just took my fancy when I was registering here as the "ch" transliteration has always struck me as a little inelegant.
SWMBO got the cheque for the Ka today. £2.5k. Could probably have argued for a bit more but at this level it didn't seem worth the hassle. She's mentally spent it already on house stuff. Apparently downstairs flooring has suddenly become a major priority. Guess I'll have to stump for a car unless I can quietly forget to do that while she's still got the use of the Mondy........
well if you say it often enough you might convince yourself.

No-one else tho.
Latest Forum Posts