Motoring Discussion > Removing dealer stickers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 41

Removing dealer stickers - RattleandSmoke
My car has a rather tacky yellow and black sticker on the back saying "Arnold Clarke" and I want to remove it as it makes the car look like a fleet car. What is the best way of removing the sticker while protecting the glass?

I also want to remove it because I will be servicing at their biggest rival Lookers.
 Removing dealer stickers - CGNorwich
Hair dryer
 Removing dealer stickers - midlifecrisis
Be daring and just do it. The car isn't going to self destruct!
 Removing dealer stickers - Runfer D'Hills
Just peel it off slowly and carefully. It'll be fine.
 Removing dealer stickers - Old Navy
Another vote for gentle warming with a hairdryer.
Did it with a damp warm cloth in the end, it peeled off very easily, probably because its still new.

Looks a lot better now, I can't believe they think a bright yellow sticker with bold black text dosn't look tacky.
Not sure I'd stand around "drying" a Panda with a hairdryer in Manchester. I'd certainly concentrate very hard on not putting my other hand on my hip.....
 Removing dealer stickers - Iffy
The classic way to remove masking tape/stickers is to pull down at right angles, so the sticky bit comes off at a steady 45 degrees.

Some Arnold Clark stickers are on the outside of the window, which makes removal almost idiot proof.

You need to be careful if it's on the inside of the rear window and covering part of the heated screen element.

It will still say Arnold Clark on the number plates, but Lookers will be grateful for the work anyway - there's often more profit in two or three services than the sale of the car.

Removing dealer stickers - ....
>> It will still say Arnold Clark on the number plates,
>>
Not necessarily, my car came from AC and it only has the supplying dealer postcode.
They also stuck the sticker on the outside of the glass at the bottom of the screen (3rd brake light at the top) so removal was very easy.
It was just stuck on the outside thankfully which is probably why it was so easy. The lookers stickers are a lot more sutble, a lot of the FIATs round here have them as my nearest FIAT dealer is now Lookers, Stockport.

A lot of the FIAT dealers in Manchestert closed down when FIATs UK sales dipped in the Punto MK2s sales dropped off a few years back. There is one in Oldham, Stockport, Bury and Bolton and that is it.

The panda and punto don't sell that well round here, but nearly every other car is now a FIAT 500 so you think there would be a demand for a more local dealer.
 Removing dealer stickers - L'escargot
>> ......... nearly every other car
>> is now a FIAT 500 ..........

That seems unlikely when you compare Fiat sales with those of other manufacturers. www.am-online.com/NewCarSalesFigures/
>> Not sure I'd stand around "drying" a Panda with a hairdryer in Manchester.>>

Doesn't everyone work on their car in their garage? Light, power, and I can shout for coffee. Odd that it usually brings on total deafness in Mrs ON :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 15 May 10 at 19:30
I cleared my garage out last week. Hadn't seen the walls for years. It's bigger than I remember. Found some skis I'd quite forgotten about and a Haynes manual for a Mk 1 Fiat Panda which was sold long before we moved here. Wonder why I kept that ?
 Removing dealer stickers - Zero
JiC.

or TWCIH or TWCIH-OD
A?
Just in Case

or

That Will Come in Handy

One Day
O
 Removing dealer stickers - Dave_
>> it peeled off very easily, probably because its still new

That's the secret. I've spent 15 minutes with a Stanley blade and some meths scraping them off before now, but my dad's company cars in the 80s all had a Godfrey Davis sticker stuck inside out to the boot floor underneath the carpet from the evening of day one.
 Removing dealer stickers - Ted

Why on earth go to all the trouble of removing a sticker ?
Just nip down to Autoglass and they'll change the whole glass for you without any affort on your part.
Seemples !

Ted
 Removing dealer stickers - bathtub tom
I've got a thick plastic and chrome 'dealer special' badge stuck to my tailgate, on the skew. Sums it up really. They can't be bothered to make a half decent job of it.
I'd quite forgotten about and a Haynes manual for
>> a Mk 1 Fiat Panda which was sold long before we moved here. Wonder why
>> I kept that ?
>>

I found my old Vx Belmont one the other day! It was a 'CD'. I was very pleased to have a top of the range model at the time. It was an Auto and did about 15mpg! (Or felt like it).
 Removing dealer stickers - L'escargot
Next time you buy a new car do what I do and specify that a condition of the purchase is that there should be no stickers or badges added to the car. I accept advertising on the number plate but nowhere else.
Delaer stickers in the back window should be mandatory. There shoudl also be a section that the owner completes in felt pen.

Ie COWBOY MOTORS LTD are crap
or
THE RANCH AUTOS are great
 Removing dealer stickers - movilogo
If you have your own business advertise that at place of dealers stickers instead :)
I tried that some years ago Movilogo. My business handles premium high fashion consumer goods and I got a few brand logo stickers to put on the car.

It got broken into.

Took them off and replaced them with one saying "contaminated waste"

Not been a problem since.

:-)
 Removing dealer stickers - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> Took them off and replaced them with one saying "contaminated waste"
>>
>> Not been a problem since.
>>
>> :-)
>>

I like that. It merits a "Best anti-theft idea of the year" award. :)
 Removing dealer stickers - 832ark

>> I also want to remove it because I will be servicing at their biggest rival
>> Lookers.
>>

I really cannot believe that someone would think like that. You need to get out more!
>> >> I also want to remove it because I will be servicing at their biggest
>> rival
>> >> Lookers.

Are you going to change the AC number plates as well?
No, the number plates AC is fine as it is very sublte. There is a big different between tiny writing saying Arnold Clark to a massive sticker in bright yellow.
 Removing dealer stickers - Stuartli
Do you really think, Rattle, that employees of a different company would take even the remotest interest in where you bought it?
I think you need to renew your valium prescription Rattle!
 Removing dealer stickers - Typ 8L
>>
>> >> I also want to remove it because I will be servicing at their biggest
>> rival
>> >> Lookers.
>> >>
>>
>> I really cannot believe that someone would think like that. You need to get out
>> more!
>>

Well, if it were me, I wouldn't want anyone to know I bought my car from Arnold Clark :-)
 Removing dealer stickers - FotheringtonTomas
Bolster & club hammer.
 Removing dealer stickers - Ambo
Try dampening first with a little white spirit.
 Removing dealer stickers - Dieselfitter
The dealer's rear window stickers are just sticky tape, they will just pull off without damaging the HRW, as long as you do it slowly and assuming (as in Rattle's case) that it hasn't been baking in the sun for years. I always take them off.

I did change the plates on my Focus, which came new from Trade Sales in Slough. They were good quality 3M plates, but with the biggest and boldest "Trade Sales" name that they could fit on it. I thought it lowered the tone so much that I was willing to stump up for a new set.

Removing dealer stickers - Focusless
>> I thought it lowered the tone so much that I was willing to stump up for a new set.

SWMBO's Colt still has Trade Sales plates and a rear window sticker - doesn't bother me at all. It's the least of my problems :-)
 Removing dealer stickers - Dieselfitter
>>Colt still has Trade Sales plates and a rear window sticker - doesn't bother me at all.

Well, there you go. It seemed to take the shine off my new car. Things have moved on in the discount new car market. At least my Audi didn't come with DtD plates!
angle grinder
 Removing dealer stickers - Glaikit Wee Scunner Snr. {P}
The AC stickers were very noticeable north of Hadrians wall.
Mostly seemed to be on the outside of the screen. Very bad taste being bright yellow.

I always remove mine ASAP before they bake on to the HRW elements , they also obstruct my view badly. Even so , usually some glue gets left on.
 Removing dealer stickers - Clk Sec
>>angle grinder

And don't forget your safety glasses.
 Removing dealer stickers - FotheringtonTomas
>> >>angle grinder
>>
>> And don't forget your safety glasses.

No! Too late. Another pair of safety glasses for 'im now please.
 Removing dealer stickers - VxFan
Whenever I've previously removed them, I just put the heated rear window on for a couple of mins, then peel off the sticker. It helps to do it on a warm day though, then use something like iso-prop alcohol to remove any sticky residue that's left on the glass.
Latest Forum Posts