Motoring Discussion > Does this van exist? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 10

Does this van exist? - FotheringtonTomas
Well, here we go. Load length 2 metres, or just about that. Reliable. Cheap 2nd-hand bargain, £2K top. Economical if possible. 3 seats if possible. I have little experience of vans, so I'm rather at a loss. I don't care what it looks like.
 Does this van exist? - RattleandSmoke
Sounds like a long wheel base LDV Convy might do the trick, if you can live with the noise! Not sure if the LDV has a three seat option because of its narrow track, but I am sure a distance relative had a 1991 plate Leyland Daf Freight Rover with three seats.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Mon 17 May 10 at 23:01
 Does this van exist? - Dave_
Yes the Convoy has 3 seats. A Transit SWB would do you too, except that there are very few "straight" ones about. Merc Vito with a few miles on would be an idea, Bedford Midi if you can find one, or even a Sprinter in the right spec. All have 3 seats, cast your net far and wide.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Mon 17 May 10 at 23:07
Tanx. 2m is the traget for the load lenght - I don'y want too much extra! 2m would be OK. A nbig 3 too much unless economical enough.
I suggested the LDV because Transits fetch a fair bit more so £1500 will probably only buy a knackered 300k P reg example.

The Sprinters are worth considering too but they seem to suffer from worse rust problems than the Transit.
 Does this van exist? - Harleyman
If the three people are only of average size, you could try looking for a Mazda E2000.

Popular with carpet fitters because it offers good load length capacity, but also narrow enough to fit on most driveways. Usual Mazda reliability I'd guess.

Downsides would be column change, quirky controls and estate-type tailgate.

What Rattle said about Sprinters; I owned a v-plate 310 for a year, excellent van but susceptible to tinworm and spares are pricey. If you do go for one that's the engine to go for, the 4-pot "08" engine is hopelessly gutless. The older models with the long gearshift are actually better than the "facelift" ones IMO.

LDV Convoy? There was a long thread in t'other place describing the nightmare of owning same. They gave it the "Convoy" name because no-one dared go out on their own with one in case it broke down!
Didn't they have Nissan and Perkins engines in the Convoys though? That said the rest of the build is poor but thats why they are cheap to buy. They probably did go out of business for a reason though!
 Does this van exist? - Harleyman
The later ones had a Transit driveline AFAIK.

There are plenty of cheap ex-Royal Mail ones about but as always you gets what you pays for.
It seems a Citrowen Dispatch has 3 seats in the front, and the load length is just over 2m in some configurations. What's the 2.0HDI engine like? What's the van like, come to that?
 Does this van exist? - Boxsterboy
I had a lwb high roof Talbot Express (Mk 1) years ago. With a 2.0 petrol engine! It was actually a very smooth engine and had stacks of room inside. Took it all over the place, Cornwall, South France, etc. The body space was great - but the rust-proofing betrayed it's Italian lineage. That is to say it was non-existant. I sold it to an Irish builder ...
I think that's rather too old.
Latest Forum Posts