Motoring Discussion > Another mystery truck. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 11

Another mystery truck. - Ted

I took this photo on the Greek Isle of Paxos years ago.
I have no idea what it is.......the engine seemed to be behind the seats, there was a large mesh cover as if it was protecting an air cooling fan.
Rear wheel drive.

Anybody got a clue ?

tinyurl.com/34myhn2

Ted
 Another mystery truck. - Zero
Looks like your standard old Piaggio type thing, if not it'll be fiat thing of some kind.
 Another mystery truck. - Chris S
Anybody else get a message telling them that they've won a brand new mini cooper?
 Another mystery truck. - crocks
No. So you really must have won one!

Hi Z. I thought about predecessor to the Ant, or summat like that , but this beast was really quite big.......the cab was about Transit sized IIRC. Looked heavy as well, Proper commercial wheels....not scooter sized.

There were also two Tarpans, both pickups, made in Poland and both the same colour.
I found a Nechar ( Fiat ) and a rusty WW2 truck. I've got pics of them all.

Ted
 Another mystery truck. - R.P.
Can you post the WW2 truck's photo ?

Your wish is my command

Voila !

tinyurl.com/2w6jexv

There were German submarine pens on the west coast during the Hitler unpleasantness.

Ted
 Another mystery truck. - R.P.
Renault ?

I think the Military one has a hint of Chevrolet about it.
Left there by the successful Allied re-taking of the island ?

Ted
 Another mystery truck. - jc2
Looks very much like a WWII Chevy.

It certainly does !

tinyurl.com/3xjwnde

While I was gricing a website of 40s vehicles, I noticed they'd included the Jowett javelin in the list.
I clicked on it and there was my car, number plates blacked out, at the Astle Park steam fair a few years ago !

Fame at last.

Ted
 Another mystery truck. - Armel Coussine
That is a Chevrolet 15cwt truck. The Navy had lots in Ceylon when I was a child there and I did a lot of miles in them. The engine, a s/v V8, was between the front seats. The thing had four wheel drive and was very noisy to travel in, engine and transmission noise and those military tyres flogging on the road. Body was made of laths and hardboard essentially although the front end was metal. Apart from the noise there was a lot of waste heat from the engine, not really what you want in the tropics.

The Americans had taken them to the Far East for the Pacific war, and left them there for all and sundry. But I suppose the British services had first call on them for what the Americans in Vietnam called ass-and-trash missions.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 18 May 10 at 15:30
Latest Forum Posts