Motoring Discussion > What are these cameras doing ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pezzer Replies: 15

What are these cameras doing ? - Pezzer
I have noticed locally several parallel rubber strips across the road, which i have always understood to be counting the traffic. However nearby is what looks like a temporary camera on a 20ft post which is padlocked to a lamp post.

I have never noticed this before, what purpose does this camera serve I wonder ?
 What are these cameras doing ? - Zero
if you tell us where, or show us a picture we could tell you
 What are these cameras doing ? - FotheringtonTomas
>> I have noticed locally several parallel rubber strips across the road, which i have always
>> understood to be counting the traffic.

They are called "speed tubes", and count the number of passing vehicles, and their speed. These data are used for reviews of traffic loading and anti-social driver behaviour by the council.

>> However nearby is what looks like a temporary camera
>> on a 20ft post which is padlocked to a lamp post.

Dunno what that's for.
 What are these cameras doing ? - BobbyG
Is it possible the camera is there as a CCTV type deterrent to stop someone pinching or interfering with the rubber strips and counter?
 What are these cameras doing ? - Skoda
DS2 ?

www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/guide.htm#DS2
 What are these cameras doing ? - Arctophile
Probably to allow a classified count to be made over a given time period (i.e. how many motorcycles, cars, HGVs etc.).

This can then be multiplied up by the number of vehicles detected by the tubes over a longer period.
Last edited by: Arctophile on Wed 19 May 10 at 08:44
 What are these cameras doing ? - bhoywonder
From memory I think if it is two rubber strips then someone is counting traffic. Three strips
is a speed trap and the police will be standing a bit further up the road. Although I have not seen this method used in years.
 What are these cameras doing ? - Focusless
>> However nearby is what looks like a temporary camera
>> on a 20ft post which is padlocked to a lamp post.

Isn't that just the box containing the electronics for the tubes ie. the stuff that does the counting? Or can you see a lens?
>> >> However nearby is what looks like a temporary camera
>>
>> Isn't that just the box containing the electronics for the tubes ie. the stuff that
>> does the counting? Or can you see a lens?

That gubbins is contained in a box which is usually chained to the bottom of a lamp-post, sign, etc.
 What are these cameras doing ? - Focusless
>> >> Isn't that just the box containing the electronics for the tubes ie. the stuff
>> that
>> >> does the counting? Or can you see a lens?
>>
>> That gubbins is contained in a box which is usually chained to the bottom of
>> a lamp-post, sign, etc.

So the OP should have seen 2 boxes - Pezzer, can you clarify? Just wondering if they put the control box up a post perhaps for protection from vandals (although I admit it seems unlikely).
 What are these cameras doing ? - WozDox
A single rubber tube across the road is a census device counting the amount of axles that cross the tube.

A pair of tubes a set distance apart (1 metre?) is used to survey speed, the wheels cover the set distance in a period of time. This is then used to calculate the average speeds at a particular section of road, the data is then used when deciding to build traffic calming devices............................
Nope definitely a cctv like camera. I think a pole cemented into a rudimentary concrete cylindrical base with the camera on the top. This is then chained and padlocked to the lamp post. Will try and stop and take a photo later
 What are these cameras doing ? - Ted

I think they're just there to stop people stealing the cameras :-)

Ted
 What are these cameras doing ? - Skoda
> I think they're just there to stop people stealing the cameras :-)

www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/02/austin-road-sig/

Theft is so old school... :-P Granted it's a road sign not a camera...
The camera wasnt there this morning ! I didnt imagine it .... honest
Why not e-mail the highways department of your local council and ask them about it? You could also find out what they were measuring, and they usually give you the results too if you ask.
Latest Forum Posts