Motoring Discussion > BMW - Recalls 122,000 motorcycles Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 10

BMW - Recalls 122,000 motorcycles - VxFan
BMW is recalling 122,000 of its motorbikes around the world- most for the second time - because of potential brake problems.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10123403.stm

The company said "the bikes were safe to ride, as long as there was sufficient brake fluid in the system"......

I think you'll find that applies to all vehicles, not just the ones BMW make!!
 BMW - Recalls 122,000 motorcycles - R.P.
Vibration causing a fluid leak - both my bikes are outside the applicable dates.
 BMW - Recalls 122,000 motorcycles - Skoda
Vehicle recalls seem to be getting a lot of press since the Toyota debacle.

No complaints from me provided the reporting is to a good standard.
 BMW - Recalls 122,000 motorcycles - MD
STOP THIS NOW.
What ?
 BMW - Recalls 122,000 motorcycles - Zero
THIS

(whatever "this" is)

I think Martin and Dave are legless tonight
 BMW - Recalls 122,000 motorcycles - ....
>> Vibration causing a fluid leak
>>
Does this mean the ones which are not affected do not vibrate ?
No - my understanding was that it was a weak union in a brake line for certain years.
 BMW - Recalls 122,000 motorcycles - hawkeye
An annoyingly lightweight article. Why can't the reporter say what the fault is instead of writing in general terms?

Many motorcyclists have some mechanical savvy so they would know where to look to see if there was a problem.

Most if all motorcycles have the brake fluid reservoir on the handlebars and the level of the fluid is visible while riding.
BMWs have at least two levels of warning alerts on their braking systems including a graphic "Brake Failure" alert which flashes until the braking systems are armed at start up - most motorcyclists I've ever known are more savvy to faults than car drivers.
 BMW - Recalls 122,000 motorcycles - Zero
you kinda get savvy like that when you realise that faults on a bike can mean death.
Latest Forum Posts